Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Three Rings 01northernS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Went to Audi dealership for service and they disconnected my dash cam>>>>

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    before they brought it into the shop and reconnected it when they finished my service.

I have front and rear cameras so I caught the guy who did it on the rear camera as he probably thought there was only a front cam... thoughts?

Can they do this?

How would you all handle this as I'm quite pissed off that they would do this. Do they even have a right to disconnect without asking me first?

Please discuss.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe
    Technik | Mythos Black on Black | Black Optics | Carbon Interior Trim | Carbon Supercharged Badges | Miltek Resonated Sport Cat Back Exhaust W/Black Cerakote GT100's | DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Pinnacle 30% Tint | H&R OE Sport Springs | 10F/15R H&R Spacers | 20"x9" Black Matte Rotors - 275/30 Continental DWS | 19"x9" Titanium Rotors - 255/35 Blizzak LM-32

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I mean it’s not a part of the car being serviced so they shouldn’t have unless they are worried about Audi proprietary info getting out....

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was going to say that it's a private business and they have every right to disconnect your cameras if they're recording the surroundings and their employees without their consent. Probably not as nefarious as you're thinking though...Did you check mileage before and after the service? It's most likely just a privacy and/or security thing. I wouldn't sweat it unless you discover your car is damaged somehow.

And then realized you were in Canada. May have a whole different set of rules up north. Dunno.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Track Extreme Exhaust/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/Whiteline Upper Control Arm Bushings/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru TriBeCa (Wife's DD), B6 A4 (son's DD). B6 A4 Ultra Sport (other son's DD)

Quote Originally Posted by 01northernS4 View Post
    before they brought it into the shop and reconnected it when they finished my service.

I have front and rear cameras so I caught the guy who did it on the rear camera as he probably thought there was only a front cam... thoughts?

Can they do this?

How would you all handle this as I'm quite pissed off that they would do this. Do they even have a right to disconnect without asking me first?

Please discuss.
    It is policy in many dealers to disconnect dashcams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I have seen this before. The main reason is because they think that you will look at the footage and then go back to the dealership saying something wasn't done properly in your opinion. Just saves them the hassle of having customers come back to complain. It is kind of the same as to why shops don't have windows so you can see how the tech is working on your car.

It may have just been for the techs privacy as well. He did not want to be filmed while working on your car, or maybe thought that you would put the footage on YouTube without his permission.

Also depending on what they were doing on your car, they may have disconnected it so it wouldn't get damaged by short-circuit if they were working with electrical components.

Seems normal to me, but I can see why you would be pissed off.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia RSV4, Triumph Thunderbird

I'd think they have the right to ask the OP to disconnect or disable, and even decline to perform any work with it running. But to take it upon themselves to disconnect is a bit too bold IMO.

AZ Member #

This is exactly what I was thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

good responses everyone

Senior Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you work for a large corporation, would you or that corporation be happy if a customer from an unknown background came into your work and set up a camera to record your companies procedures?

I think they are absolutely within their rights to do so to protect proprietary operations/information and I would do exactly the same if it was my company.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #

Perhaps but would it not be more appropriate to ask for the dash cam to be shut off and if not refuse to do the work?

I think kiggy74 hit the nail on the head in his post above.
    Last edited by 01northernS4; 01-12-2018 at 03:56 AM.

AZ Member #

I guess they just react to finding the camera, calling the customer to ask permission to disconnect the cameras once discovered is only going to add delays to a busy workshop, they don’t have time in their day to do this.

I honestly don’t see your grievances here, if you don’t like/trust other people touching your car, why take it to Audi for a service?
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRS5 View Post
    I guess they just react to finding the camera, calling the customer to ask permission to disconnect the cameras once discovered is only going to add delays to a busy workshop, they don’t have time in their day to do this.

I honestly don’t see your grievances here, if you don’t like/trust other people touching your car, why take it to Audi for a service?
    Trust is not the issue... People touching and screwing with my shit without permission is. If I had been asked I'd gladly disconnect. Not asking is just plain wrong and rude IMHO.

What's next my appliance repair guy is going to disconnect my home security cameras before he works on my fridge?!? Where does it end? We now live in a world where we are watched everywhere we go so what's the big deal? They should be proud of their work. They should have asked first and refused to work if necessary... Again IMHO.
    Last edited by 01northernS4; 01-12-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe
    Technik | Mythos Black on Black | Black Optics | Carbon Interior Trim | Carbon Supercharged Badges | Miltek Resonated Sport Cat Back Exhaust W/Black Cerakote GT100's | DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Pinnacle 30% Tint | H&R OE Sport Springs | 10F/15R H&R Spacers | 20"x9" Black Matte Rotors - 275/30 Continental DWS | 19"x9" Titanium Rotors - 255/35 Blizzak LM-32

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Items for Sale

they have the right to disconnect without asking. standard practice
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

AZ Member #

standard practice or law?

would make so much more sense to ask and then if necessary refuse... and if this is such a widespread problem for them they should pre-print on the work order "no dash cameras recordings allowed" when you sign the work order... would clear up all this nonsense.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Items for Sale

standard practice or law?

would make so much more sense to ask and then if necessary refuse... and if this is such a widespread problem for them they should pre-print on the work order "no dash cameras recordings allowed" when you sign the work order... would clear up all this nonsense.
    for sure not a law, but yea it is standard practice, for reasons stated above. just move on its really no point in trying to fight them or make a big deal about it honestly, or trying to find ways to justify why its wrong for them to disconnect.

but FWIW my audi dealer didn't disconnect mine since the tech was my buddy, but at my other shop he did let me know ahead of time hes disconnecting it ( also my buddy ) and mentioned " don't worry but its just how it works ".
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:

AZ Member #

Agreed... And that fellow at the other shop that advised you before disconnecting is all class... Other techs have much to learn from him.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Trust is not the issue... People touching and screwing with my shit without permission is. If I had been asked I'd gladly disconnect. Not asking is just plain wrong and rude IMHO.

What's next my appliance repair guy is going to disconnect my home security cameras before he works on my fridge?!? Where does it end? We now live in a world where we are watched everywhere we go so what's the big deal? They should be proud of their work. They should have asked first and refused to work if necessary... Again IMHO.
    Yeah, but the very idea of you bringing in your car to them is basically giving them permission to "touch and screw with your shit" That's what they do when working on your car. You could always hide a small pinhole camera somewhere in the car if you really want to be sneaky about it next time. But really, what's the point? I've seen tons of videos on YouTube where people bitch and moan about the way their car was treated at the dealership, and many of them are nothing but ignorance on the car owner's part. For example, one technician did a brake job and then did a textbook job of bedding the brakes. When the car owner watched the video, he complained that the technician was abusing his car and accelerating hard and slamming on the brakes. It was actually funny to me to see how upset the car owner got because of his own ignorance.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by RockJGC View Post
    Yeah, but the very idea of you bringing in your car to them is basically giving them permission to "touch and screw with your shit" That's what they do when working on your car. You could always hide a small pinhole camera somewhere in the car if you really want to be sneaky about it next time. But really, what's the point? I've seen tons of videos on YouTube where people bitch and moan about the way their car was treated at the dealership, and many of them are nothing but ignorance on the car owner's part. For example, one technician did a brake job and then did a textbook job of bedding the brakes. When the car owner watched the video, he complained that the technician was abusing his car and accelerating hard and slamming on the brakes. It was actually funny to me to see how upset the car owner got because of his own ignorance.
    that pretty much sums it up, full blunt lol
    Past:

AZ Member #

They’re not exactly “screwing with your shit” as you put it, they are disconnecting a camera, you’d trust them to rebuild your engine or rewire an electrical fault but you aren’t happy with them disconnecting an electrical plug from a camera?

Your example of recording a workman in your own home is a little contradictory, your car is in their home and they didn’t want you to record their actions in their home.

I had to remove both front and rear cameras from my personal phone to allow me to take it to work, but that’s the deal if I want to continue working there, I would assume if you want to continue taking your car car to that workshop, you’ll have to accept your camera will be disconnected.
    Doug convinced me

Registered Member One Ring 2muchaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RockJGC View Post
    Yeah, but the very idea of you bringing in your car to them is basically giving them permission to "touch and screw with your shit" That's what they do when working on your car. You could always hide a small pinhole camera somewhere in the car if you really want to be sneaky about it next time.
    You guys are missing the point, but I'll sum up a solution.

In most states, you cannot record someone without their permission, especially on their own property. But at the same time, the dealership does not have the right to turn off your dash cam, unless stated in a policy agreement somewhere that you agreed to by getting work done at the dealer. They can only refuse service.

So the moral of the story is, turn off your dash cam before you get to the dealer because if you don't, you may be breaking the law. And if you do leave your camera on and the dealer turns it off, don't go complaining to them because, again, you may be breaking the law in the first place.

Check your state laws, it all depends where you live. I've had dealers turn my off and I've had dealers not turn it off, it depends.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchaudi View Post
    You guys are missing the point, but I'll sum up a solution.

In most states, you cannot record someone without their permission, especially on their own property. But at the same time, the dealership does not have the right to turn off your dash cam, unless stated in a policy agreement somewhere that you agreed to by getting work done at the dealer. They can only refuse service.

So the moral of the story is, turn off your dash cam before you get to the dealer because if you don't, you may be breaking the law. And if you do leave your camera on and the dealer turns it off, don't go complaining to them because, again, you may be breaking the law in the first place.

Check your state laws, it all depends where you live. I've had dealers turn my off and I've had dealers not turn it off, it depends.

"But at the same time, the dealership does not have the right to turn off your dash cam, unless stated in a policy agreement somewhere that you agreed to by getting work done at the dealer. They can only refuse service."

Bingo. 2muchaudi gets it. Thank you for the well worded response kind sir.
    Last edited by 01northernS4; 01-12-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

AZ Member #

They’re not exactly “screwing with your shit” as you put it, they are disconnecting a camera, you’d trust them to rebuild your engine or rewire an electrical fault but you aren’t happy with them disconnecting an electrical plug from a camera?

Your example of recording a workman in your own home is a little contradictory, your car is in their home and they didn’t want you to record their actions in their home.

I had to remove both front and rear cameras from my personal phone to allow me to take it to work, but that’s the deal if I want to continue working there, I would assume if you want to continue taking your car car to that workshop, you’ll have to accept your camera will be disconnected.
    I'm not arguing with you I just believe it should be on the contract/work order or they should advise before disconnecting or just refuse to work.

Its kind of like walking into a place of business wearing a GoPro and having somebody from that place of business disconnecting it while it's on you without asking you first instead of asking you to stop recoding or leave the premises or disconnecting yourself?

I don't think anybody would dare touching you or your body without advising you first. It just makes sense to ask first then refuse service.

We are civilized people not animals. We all should have learned these lessons as children... Moral of the story is ask before you touch other people's shit... Again IMHO.

Funny enough the dealer reached out to ask me to give them a 5-star rating when Audi contacts me and I will probably do so upon getting an explanation as to why they didn't ask or why they disconnected it in the first place. Overall the service went well but it would have been nice to just have been asked. They called me 3 times while my car was in on any one of those three calls they could have said by the way we are disconnecting your car Camera or had to disconnect your car camera (although as mentioned earlier on the work order or before they disconnected it would have been proper).

Seems like they're concerned about my review and that would have gone a long way to a five-star review. Communication is key. And courtesy of course along with service.
    Last edited by 01northernS4; 01-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

AZ Member #

"I had to remove both front and rear cameras from my personal phone to allow me to take it to work, but that’s the deal if I want to continue working there, I would assume if you want to continue taking your car car to that workshop, you’ll have to accept your camera will be disconnected."

You had to and they advised you... Good on them and you.

I was not given that common courtesy.

I'd gladly turn off the camera or stop going to that workshop but they must advise me and shouldn't be making that decision for me unilaterally since it wasn't on the work order and contract so I didn't previously agree to anything of the sort... Once again IMHO
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

AZ Member #

Do you work for a large corporation, would you or that corporation be happy if a customer from an unknown background came into your work and set up a camera to record your companies procedures?

I think they are absolutely within their rights to do so to protect proprietary operations/information and I would do exactly the same if it was my company.
    Perhaps but would it not be more appropriate to ask for the dash cam to be shut off and if not refuse to do the work?

I think kiggy74 hit the nail on the head in his post above.
    I agree with you both. The car is being serviced in a private property/facility. The owner has every right to refuse video recording within their premises for any reason be it protecting trade secrets from the competition or being camera-shy.

I also agree that the SA's need to inform clients who bring their car in for service that the cameras will need to be turned off while it is in their premises. This is just like a call center agent informing you that your conversation is being recorded. Or, a manager in a store asking you to put away your camera phone or camera and not take any photos of the merchandise.
    Current: 2016 S5 in Sepang Blue with Technik Package.

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you think its YOUR right to record them without their permission?

Just think about it. Did you ask? Did they give you permission to record their employees, on their private property, where proprietary processes are taking place. My guess is no. In an ideal world, you ask and they refuse service or request you to disconnect it. Or if you fail to ask and they notice it...they call you and ask if its ok to disconnect, stating its against policy.

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What a thread
    The Awesome™

Established Member Three Rings RSLRS71's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK1 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

mad suspect! it's basically an admittance of guilt, but just how irresponsible were they is the question. always log mileage for starters
    2017 RSL RS7 (1 of 3 stateside)
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...
    Next: looking to be the quickest RS7! ;)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK1 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by b6onboost View Post
    Do you think its YOUR right to record them without their permission?

Just think about it. Did you ask? Did they give you permission to record their employees, on their private property, where proprietary processes are taking place. My guess is no. In an ideal world, you ask and they refuse service or request you to disconnect it. Or if you fail to ask and they notice it...they call you and ask if its ok to disconnect, stating its against policy.
    if you have nothing to hide, which you shouldnt while working at Audi....then why disconnect? unless the tech can cover any damage or wear to the car upon pickup. it's all too common for techs or whoever working at the dealership to joyride...this is known. most dont get caught while others are not so lucky when they total a new car on their own lot. bastards
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...

Established Member Two Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

I'm not sure about the dealerships you deal with, but, I worked at an Audi dealership for some time. The techs there have little to no interest in driving the cars, almost to the point of being un-thorough when they test-driving finished repairs. lol
    034Motorsport Density Line control arms, 034Motorsport silicon intake tube, K&N E-1987 air filter, custom cat-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence fitted, OEM Audi metal pedal set, OEM 19" x 8.5" stock wheels powdercoated black, RS style foglight bezels and center grille, H&R sport springs, 15 front and 20mm rear spacers

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK1 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    I'm not sure about the dealerships you deal with, but, I worked at an Audi dealership for some time. The techs there have little to no interest in driving the cars, almost to the point of being un-thorough when they test-driving finished repairs. lol
    im not 100% sure about Audi dealerships around the nation, and since this is my first Audi.....i just have a difficult time trusting anyone to touch/drive my car, especially when im not around. better to be cautious than sorry you hadnt been...IMO. Also have to keep in mind that it can be somewhat different if bringing in an A4 vs an R8 or RS...
    Mods:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by plat View Post
    I agree with you both. The car is being serviced in a private property/facility. The owner has every right to refuse video recording within their premises for any reason be it protecting trade secrets from the competition or being camera-shy.

I also agree that the SA's need to inform clients who bring their car in for service that the cameras will need to be turned off while it is in their premises. This is just like a call center agent informing you that your conversation is being recorded. Or, a manager in a store asking you to put away your camera phone or camera and not take any photos of the merchandise.
    This. Bang on.

"I also agree that the SA's need to inform clients who bring their car in for service that the cameras will need to be turned off while it is in their premises. This is just like a call center agent informing you that your conversation is being recorded. Or, a manager in a store asking you to put away your camera phone or camera and not take any photos of the merchandise."
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So, being from Toronto...which Audi dealership?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi dealership in Chicago did same to me.. Never trust dealerships anyway. Glad i found a indy shop

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Poppe View Post
    So, being from Toronto...which Audi dealership?
    It was in the greater Toronto area and I want to give them a chance to explain in case it was an isolated occurrence and/or they have some good reason why they did that. I actually liked the visit, dealership, SA's and service overall besides that misstep so I don't want to knock them publicly and take this situation out of context if indeed it was an isolated occurrence involving just 1 tech.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

maybe the battery was low? i've disconnected my dash cam as well when my car is sitting and i get my low battery warning and i'm not going to drive for a while

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

For me, it's sign of a good business when they are comfortable with letting you see what they are doing. A lot of tire shops let you watch the work, and that's the only kind of place i would ever go to. A lot of people/businesses are not trustworthy so allowing customer to see quality work being done on their $30,000-$100,000 car can be a massive selling point.

Regarding not wanting customers to film the inside of your workshop, practices etc....Well I think this is relevant in some other industries, but absolutely not in the auto repair industry. Besides, the dealer techs are no more trustworthy than the people with the dash cams (that's not an insult, just an observation). A guy working Audi tech one week, could walk over and get a job at Mercedes in the next. Their are no secrets in this industry....

AZ Member #

good points

Quote Originally Posted by A4Qwattro View Post
    For me, it's sign of a good business when they are comfortable with letting you see what they are doing. A lot of tire shops let you watch the work, and that's the only kind of place i would ever go to. A lot of people/businesses are not trustworthy so allowing customer to see quality work being done on their $30,000-$100,000 car can be a massive selling point.

Regarding not wanting customers to film the inside of your workshop, practices etc....Well I think this is relevant in some other industries, but absolutely not in the auto repair industry. Besides, the dealer techs are no more trustworthy than the people with the dash cams (that's not an insult, just an observation). A guy working Audi tech one week, could walk over and get a job at Mercedes in the next. Their are no secrets in this industry....
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Wouldn’t the hood be blocking most of, if not all of the work being done under the hood anyway? Not sure the dash cam would (visually) be of much help for the actual repair, the audio yes. Helpful to prevent “joy riding” but IDK, haven’t put 1 in either car yet, just MTC. The dealership that services my 2 Audi’s is over 2 hrs away & they send a retired gentleman w/a loaner to my house, take my car, service it & bring it back all for a nominal fee. I suppose he/they could do anything w/either car but trust has to start somewhere.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This is the snowflake society we now live in. If you're that paranoid about someone monkeying with your car, WORK ON IT YOURSELF. It's amazing that all these years of letting other people touch my car, that it was never destroyed or messed with considering I didn't have a camera in there to record every second...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia RSV4, Triumph Thunderbird

Why assume that the OP was trying to catch the techs doing something wrong? Most dash cams stay on by default.

Having been given authorization to work on the car doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they want to the car, especially considering that the dash cam likely had nothing to do with why the car was there.

Imagine for a second you've hired a tech to come to your house to repair your fridge. Let's assume you have some web cams setup to monitor your house. What would you do if the fridge tech disconnected your Web cams? Wouldn't feel good, I think the circumstances are similar.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kiggy74 View Post
    Imagine for a second you've hired a tech to come to your house to repair your fridge. Let's assume you have some web cams setup to monitor your house. What would you do if the fridge tech disconnected your Web cams? Wouldn't feel good, I think the circumstances are similar.
    It's a bit different since the house is the owner's personal property that the tech is coming to. The car, while it is the owner's property, is being serviced at a facility owned by another person/business that can dictate their own rules.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Allroad Premium Plus (OEM+ Build Thread)
    Summer/Fun Car: 2005 Jetta GLI (OEM+ Build Thread)