Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings keinmitleid's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thumbs down B8.5 6MT S5 Gas Pedal Position sucks

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The gas pedal is too far forward, this makes your right leg at an awkward angle and bend. If you adjust the seat backward then your clutch pedal is too far away and your leg is completely extended just to get the clutch disengaged, which makes the pedal and leg position even more awkward.

Any one else agree? On long drives without cruise control, my right leg seems to activate muscles I had no idea existed and when I get out of the car they're all sore and shit.

997.2s Cab
    B8.5 S5

Established Member Three Rings snocat17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Prestige Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by keinmitleid View Post
    The gas pedal is too far forward, this makes your right leg at an awkward angle and bend. If you adjust the seat backward then your clutch pedal is too far away and your leg is completely extended just to get the clutch disengaged, which makes the pedal and leg position even more awkward.

Any one else agree? On long drives without cruise control, my right leg seems to activate muscles I had no idea existed and when I get out of the car they're all sore and shit.
    How tall are you? Have you tried adjusting the seat height? I'm 6'3 and I have no issues.
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers, VCDS cable

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by snocat17 View Post
    How tall are you? Have you tried adjusting the seat height? I'm 6'3 and I have no issues.
    5'10. My seat height is as low as it can possibly go, since the seating position in these cars is already too high. Did you make yours higher?

997.2s Cab
    B8.5 S5

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

I had this issue until I raised the front of the seat up a bit. On long drives I also extend the front edge all the way and that seems to have done the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2016 S5 6MT - Brilliant Black, P+, High Gloss Black, Sport Dif, B&O, Tech, Nappa
    Current: H&R Street Performance Coilovers, H&R Spacers 15/20, OEM RS5 Grill, CQ's Finest, 35% Pinnacle Tint

Senior Member Two Rings AzWildCat04's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm 6'1, zero issues. I have my seat raised a bit
    Current: 2016 Mythos Black 6MT - Black Optic Pkg - AWE Touring 102mm DB Tips + Res DP's - 034 Trans Mount & Inlet Hose - Sport Diff
    Past:2014 Ibis White S4 - DSG - AWE Exhaust + DP's - GIAC DSG Tune - GIAC Stg II v2
    2011 A3 Ice Silver - TI Package - Stock
    Past: 2005 S4 Ice Silver - Many mods

Active Member One Ring Blanks15's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi S5 6MT, 2011 Acura MDX

I've noticed a similar issue when I first got my S5. But it's been a few months now, and my leg/muscles have simply got used to it.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi TTQC 225, 2003 VW GTI 20thAE, 2013 S5 6MT

Raise the front of the seat and extend the leg supports.

Established Member Three Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

I don't mind the gas pedal position. I've got the metal pedal kit which I think is a bit taller. I do find the brake and gas to be a we bit closer than I prefer. I wear boots a lot and smoothly trying to heel-toe shift is hard when they're so close. I find anyways.

What I do have an issue with is the clutch though. I'm about 5'7", and, I find myself sitting almost as far forward as possible, with the seat in it's lowest position, and me sitting relatively up-right. And even then I feel like I just barely reach the clutch all the way in.
    034Motorsport: Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM: "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage || ST: "X" coilovers || K&N E-1987 air filter || RS style: center and foglight grilles || custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || OEM 19" x 8.5" stock wheels powder-coated black with 15 front/20mm rear spacers

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    I don't mind the gas pedal position. I've got the metal pedal kit which I think is a bit taller. I do find the brake and gas to be a we bit closer than I prefer. I wear boots a lot and smoothly trying to heel-toe shift is hard when they're so close. I find anyways.

What I do have an issue with is the clutch though. I'm about 5'7", and, I find myself sitting almost as far forward as possible, with the seat in it's lowest position, and me sitting relatively up-right. And even then I feel like I just barely reach the clutch all the way in.
    Do you have little legs? My 5ft fiance has no issue pushing the clutch in all the way. She has her seat raised, but not all the forward.
    The Awesome™

Established Member Two Rings spensley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm 6'2" and have no issues.
    It must just be the short people that can't reach the pedals!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spensley View Post
    I'm 6'2" and have no issues.
    It must just be the short people that can't reach the pedals!!!
    Maybe Audi can make them some blocks to accommodate their disability.
    The Awesome™

Established Member Three Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    Do you have little legs? My 5ft fiance has no issue pushing the clutch in all the way. She has her seat raised, but not all the forward.
    I guess I must, by comparison of my body height. I should rephraise it, I can reach the clutch without being so far forward, but, I don't feel like I always press it in unless I'm a couple inches back from fully forward. I sit with the seat low, and my extend-able leg rest is one click outwards.
    034Motorsport: Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM: "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage || ST: "X" coilovers || K&N E-1987 air filter || RS style: center and foglight grilles || custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || OEM 19" x 8.5" stock wheels powder-coated black with 15 front/20mm rear spacers

Active Member Two Rings Bertolian's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I agree. I’m 5’6 and I had the same issue. I sat in the car for about 20 minuets playing with the seat position to get it perfect then I just saved the seat setting. Play around with the seat until you find that perfect setting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings Game's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Never noticed this.
    2013 Phantom Black Pearl S5 - 6MT -- Sports Diff, B&O, MMI
    Current mods: APR Stage 1, KW V2 coilovers, AWE touring exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik intake, CR-15, replica RS5 grill, Enlaes CF rear spoiler, 15% Pinnacle ceramic tint.

Past - 07 E92 335i - 6 MT

AZ Member #

I am 6'2" and I do not find anything wrong with how the gas pedal is positioned relative to my seating position. There are several factors at play that dictate this issue:

1. Seating position: Do you sit in a skewed manner? I have seen a lot of folks sit with a lean to one side (gangsta style) of the seat or the other. Sitting like this will definitely affect your leg's alignment with the gas pedal.

2. Seat position/adjustment: Some people just want to sit too far away from the steering wheel. To far away so that their legs barely reach the clutch pedal when fully depressed. This seating position causes the driver to lean to one side to depress the clutch pedal which makes the right leg alignment with the gas pedal skewed. Watch the video below on how to properly adjust car seats:
    Current: 2016 S5 in Sepang Blue with Technik Package.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

6'3 never had a problem

Established Member Two Rings 6ixof1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2 bicycles

No problem with pedal position- I’m 6’. When wearing my helmet it hits the roof even with the seat all the way down. Even then pedal reach is fine. I haven’t checked but are the pedals adjustable?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

5'10. My seat height is as low as it can possibly go, since the seating position in these cars is already too high. Did you make yours higher?
    Yes, I raised mine a little so I'm not sitting on the ground. It feels fine to me.
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers, VCDS cable

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CollecTTor View Post
    Raise the front of the seat and extend the leg supports.
    Already done. My seat is as low as it can go, front all the way up, leg support out to a comfortable position.

I think the fact that I don't daily drive the car is probably why my leg muscles haven't adapted yet.

997.2s Cab
    B8.5 S5

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by snocat17 View Post
    Yes, I raised mine a little so I'm not sitting on the ground. It feels fine to me.
    On the contrary, I wish I could sit as low as the ground.

997.2s Cab
    B8.5 S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage

On the contrary, I wish I could sit as low as the ground.
    Maybe tilt it back then so the bottom of your thigh is fully supported.
    -Joe