Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

APR stage 2 on stock 2009 2.0T

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi fellows,

The time has come to get some more power on my A4! I'm looking for the APR stage 2 and maybe a different exhaust, or air filter. What peripherals do you recommend for a safe and efficient tune-up in the B8 2.0T?

Thanks,
    Dimos

Established Member Three Rings Brandon K.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX400h... a nice appliance

For power, you don’t need the full exhaust. It will just add a better sound track.

The stage 2 should be safe with no additional changes required. However if you want, there are still a few helpful mods that will augment the APR stage 2.

A new free flowing air filter and intake tube will add a little to throttle response and make it sound better (some turbo and intake sound with a little whistle now and again) without the constant annoying whistle that the free flowing intake can make on the K03 turbo.

DV+ will make the turbo spool noticeably quicker between shifts. I found this particularly more enjoyable when driving up hill with moderate throttle between shifts of my 8 speed auto. It had an annoying pause after each shift as the turbo had to rebuild from zero boost. This made the acceleration much smoother.

A larger intercooler will help you retain most of your new found power even when driving hard. The ECS intercooler is a good unit at a bargain price however the APR or Wagner units are better.

Finally a quality progressively controlled meth injection system dialed in properly for using the APR 100 octane file will turn the car into an animal anywhere below 5200 RPM. The K04 boys running 93 will have nothing on you till at least 4500 RPMs if not more like 5000 RPMs.

If you do all of those with your stage 2, you will have one hell of a strong daily driver. You will literally feel like you are driving a V8

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95 zr2 s10

You should take a good look at JH motorsports. I have their stage 1 93 octane tune and hfc pipe on my 06, totally transformed my car! Their tunes are newer and they continue to support our cars. It will walk apr tunes all day.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95 zr2 s10

I just realized you said b8 lol. I don't know if they do tuning for your model but if so they are a top notch company.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sounds great, thanks! I might go with the K&N, even though I cannot find information in their website... They only have the non-US models:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/app...ro&engine=2.0L

The DV+ replaces the valve of the diverter. What does the diverter do? Also, how much labor does it involve to install the DV+ valve?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-go-fast-.../gfbt9351~gfb/

Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joshlc1988 View Post
    I just realized you said b8 lol. I don't know if they do tuning for your model but if so they are a top notch company.
    Yes B8, thanks for the info though!

Established Member Three Rings Brandon K.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX400h... a nice appliance

Quote Originally Posted by dimstamat View Post
    Sounds great, thanks! I might go with the K&N, even though I cannot find information in their website... They only have the non-US models:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/app...ro&engine=2.0L

The DV+ replaces the valve of the diverter. What does the diverter do? Also, how much labor does it involve to install the DV+ valve?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-go-fast-.../gfbt9351~gfb/

Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes B8, thanks for the info though!
    The K&N filters are a nice option, but be warned that some have had problems with the oil contaminating the mass air flow meter. Afe filters are a safer bet.

Labor on the DV+ in not all the hard, but it is a bit hard to reach from above. It is an alternate component that works with the stock valve to help hold boost between shifts. All turbo cars have a diverter valve or blow off valve. It prevents the turbo from suddenly slowing down and breaking when the throttle is closed. Do a web search on “DV+” and you should find a good video enplaning what it does & how it works better than the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

i love what the GFP DV+ did to my 2011 2.0t A5.
    I highly recommend, even with an A/T....

link
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2012 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice, I'll take a look at the Afe filters! The DV+ looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a try!
    Right now they have 10% off for APR till Jan 31st! Can I buy the stage 1 and stage 2 online to get the discount and have them installed later at some point, or do I have to buy them through a tuning store and have them installed right away?
    For stage 2 they say "Downpipe or Turbo-Back Exhaust required to achieve advertised results".
    https://www.goapr.com/products/apr_e...pe_20t_b8.html
    Does this mean that without the downpipe the horsepower gain with stage 2 from stock will only be 277 - 40 = 237 hp? (they claim that the downpipe gives 40 hp).
    Do you recommend this part?