Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    DIS and Turn Signal Stalk Retrofit

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am trying to add trip computer functionality to my 2011 A4 Premium-.

    I had the coding done to enable the Driver Information System, and it works, with the instrument cluster menu appearing in the car menu of the infotainment system. I wanted to be able to switch to the digital speedometer and efficiency program, so I swapped over to turn signal stalks with the rocker switch and reset button (Part number: 8K0 953 502 BK). I kept my original clock spring/steering position sensor (Part number 8K0953568F) and swapped it over to the new stalks. I reinstalled everything, and the rocker switch and reset button still don't work.

    Does anyone have an idea about why the buttons don't work?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    I am trying to add trip computer functionality to my 2011 A4 Premium-.

    I had the coding done to enable the Driver Information System, and it works, with the instrument cluster menu appearing in the car menu of the infotainment system. I wanted to be able to switch to the digital speedometer and efficiency program, so I swapped over to turn signal stalks with the rocker switch and reset button (Part number: 8K0 953 502 BK). I kept my original clock spring/steering position sensor (Part number 8K0953568F) and swapped it over to the new stalks. I reinstalled everything, and the rocker switch and reset button still don't work.

    Does anyone have an idea about why the buttons don't work?

    Thanks!
    Avant or sedan?
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  3. #3
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    Its a base sedan with the 6MT

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    Its a base sedan with the 6MT
    Not sure is there difference in wiring(pinouts), but BK version is for avant if catalogue is correct(with rear wiper option PR-7Y0,7Y1+
    8T1+9Q2,9Q4,9Q7,9Q8)!
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  5. #5
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    I realized after buying that these stalks are for the avant, but it seems that the only actual difference is the mechanism that allows it to go into the rear wiper "on" position. The circuit boards for both seem almost identical. On the switch that controls the intermittent wiper speed, the two stalks are functionally the same. All of the other wiper functions work correctly, and if I push it back it just seems that nothing happens.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings B G 8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 28 2011
    AZ Member #
    81844
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Quattro Premium 6MT, 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SEL Gone: 2013 Q5 2.0 Prem.
    Location
    Valencia, CA

    Thought about adding this to my sedan as well (2011 Premium base). Please let us know if you get this worked out and proper part numbers.
    2011 A4 B8 Quattro 6MT, Ice Silver
    led - xeon headlight mod, RS4 Replica grille, A4L fog grilles, side blades, rear lip, Stratmosphere Hyper Shift short throw shifter, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, sways & end-links, Stasis Ohlins coilovers, Neuspeed RSE14's 19x9 ET40, Llumar 40 percent tint, RS4 pedals, black self dim mirror w/compass, saftey triangle w/bracket, luggage net, VAG COM.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    I realized after buying that these stalks are for the avant, but it seems that the only actual difference is the mechanism that allows it to go into the rear wiper "on" position. The circuit boards for both seem almost identical. On the switch that controls the intermittent wiper speed, the two stalks are functionally the same. All of the other wiper functions work correctly, and if I push it back it just seems that nothing happens.
    Yep, they are "almost" same, but i cant comment is "linbus" setup same for both or not. Two guys who did this on sedan used BD version. Coding should be simple just activating dis under steering module, but just for test there is bit for avant rear wiper also, so try enable this also!

    Which modules you coded for DIS?
    Last edited by Gunnark100; 01-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2013
    AZ Member #
    106799
    Location
    Baltimore

    I did this retrofit. You need to have the correct stalk - the avant is different. Take a look through this thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...MMI3G-Retrofit and here: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/ProjectSteeringSwap.html

    The p/n is 8K0953502BD. There is some coding involved after you install the correct stalk, seems like you put in the avant version which wont work.

  9. #9
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    What coding is needed? I already did the following coding I had seen elsewhere along with enabling the DIS.

    17 Instruments, Byte 1, bit 2

    56 Radio, Byte 9, bit 6

    Is there more coding that needs to be done?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    What coding is needed? I already did the following coding I had seen elsewhere along with enabling the DIS.

    17 Instruments, Byte 1, bit 2

    56 Radio, Byte 9, bit 6

    Is there more coding that needs to be done?
    Also steering vcds address 16, byte 2 bit 1 and for avant was also bit 0
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  11. #11
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    Thank you SO much! That was all I needed to get it to work. Even with the avant stalks it is now working perfectly.

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    Thank you SO much! That was all I needed to get it to work. Even with the avant stalks it is now working perfectly.
    Well done, myth busted
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  13. #13
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    So it turns out there is a bit more to this. Earlier today, I was driving and the EPC light came on. It turned out to be a code relating to the cruise control module. I tried it and it turned out that it was no longer working. My original long coding for module 16 (steering) was 0014. I changed it to 0013, per your advice, and it had made the stalks work, however with my sedan, it also caused cruse control to malfunction. Changing it back to 0014 made the EPC light go away and cruise control functionality to return. I decided to play around with different codings and for me 0016 (setting byte 2 bits 1 and 2) made both the trip computer controls and the cruise control stalks work with the EPC light off.

    I hope this helps anyone looking to do this swap in the future.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    No idea how your oem coding can go lower(from 14 to 13) if you enabled bit1 as it must go higher always, but all works it is main thing!

    My one is same as yours + i have bit 0 enabled, as it is avant so i have +1(000017)!

    http://i.imgur.com/jYWJ7YM.png
    Attached Images
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

  15. #15
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    369794
    Location
    Virginia

    I originally had only bit 2 and 4 checked, but then to get 000013, changed it to bit 0, 1, and 4 checked. As of right now 000016 seems to be working correctly with no errors. Do you know why the avant needs to have bit 0 checked and the sedan doesn't?

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2012
    AZ Member #
    102672
    Location
    Earth...

    Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    I originally had only bit 2 and 4 checked, but then to get 000013, changed it to bit 0, 1, and 4 checked. As of right now 000016 seems to be working correctly with no errors. Do you know why the avant needs to have bit 0 checked and the sedan doesn't?
    I only ment to enable bit 1 and 0(0 just in case), nothing needed to be uncheck or to get 000013! Bit 0 is for rear wiper(avant)!

    If you had 14, after you enable bit1 value would be 16!
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ B/O Tweeters+Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.