Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings Rod__Knee's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Will aftermarket wheels void warranty?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Wanted to know if aftermarket wheels will void my new car warranty on my A3?

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rod__Knee View Post
    Wanted to know if aftermarket wheels will void my new car warranty on my A3?
    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. So the answer is a little complicated, but essentially if there is damage to your vehicle that can be attributed to the aftermarket wheels on your A3, a certified Audi dealership would not be able to provide warranty coverage under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW).

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty also does not cover wheel alignments and tire balancing, brake and clutch adjustments, or any mechanical adjustments which become necessary as a result of normal use or wear and tear. Also any damage resulting from the use of new parts not sold or approved by Audi and/or a modification of the vehicle that alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications would also result in a lack of warranty coverage.

Tires are also not included in the NVLW as they are not manufactured through Audi of America. Essentially, a certified Audi dealership is in the best position to make a determination of warranty coverage as each situation is different depending on the underlying cause of the damage. I understand that this answer is probably more convoluted than you were hoping, but such is the matter with warranty coverage. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Thank you,
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. So the answer is a little complicated, but essentially if there is damage to your vehicle that can be attributed to the aftermarket wheels on your A3, a certified Audi dealership would not be able to provide warranty coverage under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW).

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty also does not cover wheel alignments and tire balancing, brake and clutch adjustments, or any mechanical adjustments which become necessary as a result of normal use or wear and tear. Also any damage resulting from the use of new parts not sold or approved by Audi and/or a modification of the vehicle that alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications would also result in a lack of warranty coverage.

Tires are also not included in the NVLW as they are not manufactured through Audi of America. Essentially, a certified Audi dealership is in the best position to make a determination of warranty coverage as each situation is different depending on the underlying cause of the damage. I understand that this answer is probably more convoluted than you were hoping, but such is the matter with warranty coverage. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Thank you,
    My guess, as a forum follower, is that anything that can, even requiring a stretch, be tied to the wheels will cause you a problem. Seems far fetched, but might be so--certainly something like wheel bearings or suspension. And they won't tell you in advance, either, because they would rather sell you what they sell. I considered chipping g my car while still under warranty, read about the issue and backed off. That modification its a sure problem.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 VW Sportwagen Diesel

I assume Vincenzo has to be careful what he says here. I am sure that Audi dealers have had to deal with some very strange problems related to customer adding after market parts and he cannot make a general statement that aftermarket wheels will not void the warranty.

Having made that disclaimer I would not worry about wheels. It would have to be a really strange problem with the wheel to affect the warranty. For example, if your wheels did not clear the brake calipers and when you put the wheel on it damaged the caliper or if you tried to use wheels which were too wide and the tires interfered with the suspension, the body work or the fender liners. In both of these cases they could deny warranty repair fix the damage. They could even deny warranty coverage on a damaged steering rack if they could prove it was caused by the wheels. They could not then void the warranty on an unrelated item such as the MMI. If you go with a reputable brand of wheels of a size recommended for your car (eg. go to Tire Rack and order wheels and tires per their recommendations for an A4) I seriously doubt there is any way it could void any part of your warranty. If it could a lot of people across the automotive spectrum would scream bloody murder. All of us with snow tires on a second set of wheels and just about every driver in California where it appears to be de rigueur to swap out your stock wheels/tires for aftermarket as soon as you take delivery of a new car would be up in arms.