Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Driver side power window not working

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Yesterday I was going to roll down my window but it was stuck/frozen. It was about 0 degrees outside. All I heard was the motor going but window didn't go anywhere. So I thought I'll wait and try again today. It's warmer. But it's still stuck, it won't go down and all I hear is a electric clicking noise from the motor when using the switch. My guess is the motor has given up or the switch. I'm gonna remove the door side this weekend and take a look. Any ideas?
    Audi A6 2.4 Sedan -04

Senior Member Two Rings Calif_Kid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A6 6 spd, 2000 Honda Civic hatch racecar
    Items for Sale

On my car (2001 A6), I had an issue with the front passenger window getting stuck say 1/2 way down, and I ended up replacing the plastic 'window clips' like is shown at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-Win...9UdeXz&vxp=mtr. I can't find the post or video I followed to guide me thru the repair, but after you get the door card off, it should then be easy to see if the clips or the regulator is the problem. It doesn't hurt to lube the window guides a little - I think I used silicon spray. Anyway, my guess is that the plastic clips may have broken, but you'll know for sure after removing the door card. - Jim

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the answer. I don't think it's the plastic clips though because it was working fine until I tried to roll it down when it was frozen. It's like I broke the motor or something because it was in overdrive trying to roll down the window. Guess I'll know more when I take a look at it. Is there a way to test if the motor is broken when I'm down there looking?
    Audi A6 2.4 Sedan -04

Senior Member Two Rings Calif_Kid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A6 6 spd, 2000 Honda Civic hatch racecar
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by AudiNike12 View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I don't think it's the plastic clips though because it was working fine until I tried to roll it down when it was frozen. It's like I broke the motor or something because it was in overdrive trying to roll down the window. Guess I'll know more when I take a look at it. Is there a way to test if the motor is broken when I'm down there looking?
    I'm thinking that maybe the clips snapped as the window was stuck while you were trying to roll it down. I think that you'll be able to figure it out after getting the door card off.

On another car that I had (1986 Mazda 626GT Turbo), my front passenger window got stuck 1/2 way down, and a dealer thought that the window motor was bad. I got the car home and took the window motor and metal regulator out, and attached power to the motor which ran fine, and I then saw that the metal teeth on the regulator were worn, so I had to replace that. - Jim

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Calif_Kid View Post
    I'm thinking that maybe the clips snapped as the window was stuck while you were trying to roll it down. I think that you'll be able to figure it out after getting the door card off.

On another car that I had (1986 Mazda 626GT Turbo), my front passenger window got stuck 1/2 way down, and a dealer thought that the window motor was bad. I got the car home and took the window motor and metal regulator out, and attached power to the motor which ran fine, and I then saw that the metal teeth on the regulator were worn, so I had to replace that. - Jim
    Ok thanks. I'll post an update this weekend.
    Audi A6 2.4 Sedan -04

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Finally got around to it and found the problem. The wire had snapped or popped out from the circle plastic thing both ends are attached to

So I ordered a new window regulator. Probably could've just bought a repair kit. Might turn out I didn't need to buy anything. We'll see
    Last edited by AudiNike12; 01-13-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Audi A6 2.4 Sedan -04