Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Steering pulls

  1. #1
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    361428
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Steering pulls

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My wife has a 2014 q5 2.0. 40k miles. The steering has a slight pull to it when driving at times. It's not an alignment issue, it's in the steering. My S4 is hydraulic driven and am familiar with those systems. I've come to learn this model is mechanically drive (therefore I know it's not a fluid issue either). Any known issues with the mechanical steering components on these latter models?


    Sent from my iPad using Audizine

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 26 2014
    AZ Member #
    197039
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7
    Location
    DFW

    The first thing I'd try, assuming it's not an alignment issue, is to disable DSR, or Driver Steering Recommendation" in VAGCom.
    The coding for it is somewhere in these threads, so you'll have to search for it.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2007
    AZ Member #
    14579
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA

    Are you 100% sure it's not a tire issue? Not to be Captain Obvious, but I'm always amazed at how often the tire is the cause. Inflation pressure, ply separation, etc... Good luck.
    -Jerry
    '16 SQ5 P+. Glacier White; Tech, Nappa, Black Optics, 21's.
    > H&R 29001-3 and Bilstein B8: 24-145985 & 24-145992 | Conti DWS06 275/40 and BBS CIR 0501 20x10 ET25, Satin Black | Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly)13' Q5 3.0T '12 Q5 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    361428
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Thanks for the replies, you can feel the pull in the steering wheel itself. Tires are good...dbl checked them. The pull almost feels like when I try to turn just a bit the wheel fights me for a split second then gives into the turning...really strange


    Sent from my iPad using Audizine

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2007
    AZ Member #
    14579
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA

    I've been mulling his over (hey, beats Christmas shopping), and I recall some pretty big issues with the system - some software-related, and others involving warranty replacement of the rack assembly. I thought there was pretty solid resolution by 2014, but who knows? FWIW, a family member has a 2015 A7, and earlier this year it received a new rack and shaft based on a CEL driven by a steering sensor reading.

    I've gotten a wrist-slap before for xposting against that other forum site, but if you google "audi q5 steering problem" one of the first results will be a comprehensive thread that ID's a number of issues and paths to resolution. Good luck with everything...
    -Jerry
    '16 SQ5 P+. Glacier White; Tech, Nappa, Black Optics, 21's.
    > H&R 29001-3 and Bilstein B8: 24-145985 & 24-145992 | Conti DWS06 275/40 and BBS CIR 0501 20x10 ET25, Satin Black | Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly)13' Q5 3.0T '12 Q5 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 21 2016
    AZ Member #
    369079
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR
    Location
    PA

    Quote Originally Posted by SQive View Post
    The first thing I'd try, assuming it's not an alignment issue, is to disable DSR, or Driver Steering Recommendation" in VAGCom.
    The coding for it is somewhere in these threads, so you'll have to search for it.
    +1

    If your roads are grooved, the DSR can be really annoying. I much prefer mine off. It's pretty straight forward to code off in VCDS.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (93 v4) - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - Alu Kreuz - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS - P3
    12.054 @ 113.27 (-224 DA)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 29 2014
    AZ Member #
    243126
    Location
    United States

    Quote Originally Posted by BG SQ5 View Post
    +1

    If your roads are grooved, the DSR can be really annoying. I much prefer mine off. It's pretty straight forward to code off in VCDS.
    Interesting. My steering pulls too. More noticeable in Dynamic Mode. Had tires checked and alignment It drives me nuts. Can this be done on Carista?
    2014 Q5 3.0T Lava Grey S-Line Sport Package 034 Stage II KW HAS Roc-Euro Magna Flow 034 Rear Sway

  8. #8
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    361428
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by BG SQ5 View Post
    +1

    If your roads are grooved, the DSR can be really annoying. I much prefer mine off. It's pretty straight forward to code off in VCDS.
    DSR?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  9. #9
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    361428
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    I've been mulling his over (hey, beats Christmas shopping), and I recall some pretty big issues with the system - some software-related, and others involving warranty replacement of the rack assembly. I thought there was pretty solid resolution by 2014, but who knows? FWIW, a family member has a 2015 A7, and earlier this year it received a new rack and shaft based on a CEL driven by a steering sensor reading.

    I've gotten a wrist-slap before for xposting against that other forum site, but if you google "audi q5 steering problem" one of the first results will be a comprehensive thread that ID's a number of issues and paths to resolution. Good luck with everything...
    Thanks for the write up...I will do just that ;)


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  10. #10
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  11. #11
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    361428
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Update: car continued to pull so we took it back to Audi. Outer tie rod in steering rack had failed (per Audi). Audi replaced steering rack, as car was still under warranty (thank goodness).


    Sent from my iPad using Audizine



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.