Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead_RS3 View Post
    Golf R's are still in port too. This situation is not unique.
    Are those supposed to be down on power by accident too? :)

Does this sound exciting to you guys?

"Throttle response changes -
    Increased waiting time for reaction from throttle body after depressing
    accelerator; reduced throttle response."

"The throttle response changes are a bit odd. This could be for a couple of reasons, did somebody actually complain the throttle was too responsive? Most likely, its to help manage power delivery at tip in, or transitional boost onset. Opening the throttle a touch more slowly will dynamically slow down the "power hit" across all parameters of the ecu."

"Reduced launch power -
    A slight reduction in power delivery and the rate of power delivery in launch
    mode."

Active Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
    Are those supposed to be down on power by accident too? :)

Does this sound exciting to you guys?

"The throttle response changes are a bit odd. This could be for a couple of reasons, did somebody actually complain the throttle was too responsive? Most likely, its to help manage power delivery at tip in, or transitional boost onset. Opening the throttle a touch more slowly will dynamically slow down the "power hit" across all parameters of the ecu."

"Reduced launch power -
    mode."

Where is this information coming from?

Throttle response is different depending on your driving mode. They can make all the comfort changes they want and 90% of us won't care.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Where is this information coming from?

Throttle response is different depending on your driving mode. They can make all the comfort changes they want and 90% of us won't care.
    The guys doing the Iroz tunes. They get the ECU revisions before they hit dealers. A lot of us have been dealing with unsolvable issues for months now. Pretty fucking annoyed at this point, honestly.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's like doomsday in this thread.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So much conflicting information, I think we all just want a solid ETA at this point.
    [ORDERED] 2018 RS3 - Ara Blue - Black Optics - Dynamic - Technology - Driver Assistance
    IG: fuzzyhat

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The guys doing the Iroz tunes. They get the ECU revisions before they hit dealers. A lot of us have been dealing with unsolvable issues for months now. Pretty fucking annoyed at this point, honestly.
    Why would they get ECU revisions before dealers?

Veteran Member Four Rings rongeur's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can you elaborate on the unsolvable issues? I have heard of vapor lock issues and an occasional limp mode but nothing specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT S-Line QGM
    Stage 3 JHM TD05H-R on a fully built motor
    Build Thread

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PowerStroke View Post
    Why would they get ECU revisions before dealers?
    My question exactly.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Perhaps, but the RS3 is the entry level car for Audi Sport. If you want to sell the brand you want the car to be readily available and visible. Limiting the sales has the opposite effect. Generally, you bring buyers in by making entry level accessible, but with some exclusivity, and them hoping they move up into more expensive models. I believe that Mercedes-AMG has diluted the brand by putting the badge on lesser vehicles, not truly AMG. BMW M cars are still desirable but not receiving the accolades they once did. Audi wasn’t to move into the void.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you. Check out the following quote: “You see AMG and M badges on every freakin’ corner now,” said one product planner. That won’t happen with the RS brand.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My question exactly.
    How do you guys think these things work?

How was Hank able to get the turbo off these cars a year before they were sold to any customers?

I don't think dealerships are always in the know. Mine was telling me months after people had VINs that orders couldn't be placed and to not believe everything I see on the internet :)

Maybe this isn't the revision that these dealers are mentioning. But if it is, it sure doesn't sound like it is adding a ton of power. Will know more after they've had a chance to do more testing. Just got it a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rongeur View Post
    Can you elaborate on the unsolvable issues? I have heard of vapor lock issues and an occasional limp mode but nothing specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    They think issue with either HPFP or a sensor. HPFP basically just turns off at ~4.5k during wot pulls.
    Last edited by Halvie; Today at 02:16 PM.

AZ Member #

RS3.png

Just got this from my SA

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kenss4 View Post
    RS3.png

Just got this from my SA
    That sucks. Late March?!

Veteran Member Four Rings phillyquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you. Check out the following quote: “You see AMG and M badges on every freakin’ corner now,” said one product planner. That won’t happen with the RS brand.
    You don't need to agree with him, because it's what Scott Keogh has publicly stated.
    “You are going to see a lot more high performance ‘RS’ models from Audi Sport in the US,” Keogh went on to say “We think this is a brand we have not taken enough advantage of.”
    Don't think for a second that Audi wouldn't love to be in the position that AMG and M are currently in being on "every freakin' corner". They're a business. They make cars to sell. The reason there is an AMG or an M on every corner is because Mercedes and BMW offer a wide range (especially in the case of Benz) of options at that trim level (25+ AMG models, 7 M models) and Audi basically has had no options or an incredibly small set of options. The word "limited" hasn't been used in conjunction with any of the available or forth coming RS models. Again...they want to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by noswalz View Post
    It's like doomsday in this thread.
    It's glorious, isn't it? LOL.
    2016 S3 Premium+ (Build Thread)
    IG: brandongray

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by phillyquattro View Post
    You don't need to agree with him, because it's what Scott Keogh has publicly stated.

Don't think for a second that Audi wouldn't love to be in the position that AMG and M are currently in being on "every freakin' corner". They're a business. They make cars to sell. The reason there is an AMG or an M on every corner is because Mercedes and BMW offer a wide range (especially in the case of Benz) of options at that trim level (25+ AMG models, 7 M models) and Audi basically has had no options or an incredibly small set of options. The word "limited" hasn't been used in conjunction with any of the available or forth coming RS models. Again...they want to make money.

It's glorious, isn't it? LOL.
    I suspect the quote was more in the spirit of not treating the RS badge like BMW has done with M. Some of the shit that passes for M or MSport is a bit laughable. The S-Line I guess is Audi's approach to that, even "lowly" A4's can be had in S-Line form, but BMW will do the same thing and call it MSport which is IMHO dilution of the M image. Audi hopefully will never do something like RS Sport and throw parts on A models allowing them to whiff fumes off the RS moniker.

Regards,

James R.

AZ Member #

How was Hank able to get the turbo off these cars a year before they were sold to any customers?

I don't think dealerships are always in the know. Mine was telling me months after people had VINs that orders couldn't be placed and to not believe everything I see on the internet :)

Maybe this isn't the revision that these dealers are mentioning. But if it is, it sure doesn't sound like it is adding a ton of power. Will know more after they've had a chance to do more testing. Just got it a couple days ago.

They think issue with either HPFP or a sensor. HPFP basically just turns off at ~4.5k during wot pulls.

I don't know the history between Iroz and Audi/VW. If he is getting files before even the engineers who are flashing cars at ports, that's pretty interesting. I find it very hard to believe, seeing as how Audi's official tuning partner is ABT. Of course, if they asked for his help or something along those lines to get an expert opinion of someone who knows the market and the fuel, then I understand completely.

I'm not one to really worry about "what ifs." There are literally endless "what ifs" to worry about, I trust the engineering and the people behind it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I don't know how it works. Can you elaborate?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This doesn't sound all that realistic going by what Custom Code is finding in the newest ecu revision. ie - dialing back throttle response / very minimal increase in fueling.
    Yeah that sounds like total horse shit, R8's have been stuck in port since October, are they too down on power? All the automotive rags that dyno'd these cars and you can find youtube videos of these cars being Dyno'd they all make nearly 10% over sticker rated power so the notion of them coming up shy sounds very very iffy to me.

IMHO winter blend fuel issues or EPA paperwork issues, some sort of emissions problem. The TTRS and RS3 have *terribad* emissions performance in terms of EPA ratings compared to other cars like say an A3 or whatever. I think the RS3 scores like 2 or 3 while an A3 2.0T gets a score of like 8 LOL, seems like it'd be pretty easy to fall off the end of the rainbow there.

Why would the cars suddenly be down on power? This isn't some slapdash manufacturing operation either. The cars have been consistently making 0-60 sprints that smash the manufacturers 3.9 figure as well...

Regards,

James

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I don't know the history between Iroz and Audi/VW. If he is getting files before even the engineers who are flashing cars at ports, that's pretty interesting. I find it very hard to believe, seeing as how Audi's official tuning partner is ABT. Of course, if they asked for his help or something along those lines to get an expert opinion of someone who knows the market and the fuel, then I understand completely.

I'm not one to really worry about "what ifs." There are literally endless "what ifs" to worry about, I trust the engineering and the people behind it.
    It isn't Iroz personally. It is Custom Code. Get flashed, join the closed FB group, and read the posts for yourselves. What would make them put up a post if they didn't have access to the binary?

Are we assuming that most of the tuners don't have inside contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by James R. View Post
    Yeah that sounds like total horse shit, R8's have been stuck in port since October, are they too down on power? All the automotive rags that dyno'd these cars and you can find youtube videos of these cars being Dyno'd they all make nearly 10% over sticker rated power so the notion of them coming up shy sounds very very iffy to me.

IMHO winter blend fuel issues or EPA paperwork issues, some sort of emissions problem. The TTRS and RS3 have *terribad* emissions performance in terms of EPA ratings compared to other cars like say an A3 or whatever. I think the RS3 scores like 2 or 3 while an A3 2.0T gets a score of like 8 LOL, seems like it'd be pretty easy to fall off the end of the rainbow there.

Why would the cars suddenly be down on power? This isn't some slapdash manufacturing operation either. The cars have been consistently making 0-60 sprints that smash the manufacturers 3.9 figure as well...

Regards,

James
    It was an unprompted FB post in their private group. What reason would they have to make a post if it was BS?

I haven't been following too closely, but where are people getting the idea that cars are suddenly down on power?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I haven't been following too closely, but where are people getting the idea that cars are suddenly down on power?

Not attacking you... .But this is what you posted on #801:

"Reduced launch power -
    mode."

People want to believe the positive hope theories...but anything closely negative (verified or not...sticks and has legs)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's lessening the shock to the system. Most manufacturers are now tuning in aggressive throttle tip in so that people feel like their car has a ton of power. This is to make people feel like there is a ton of torque off the line. Something like this could be great for the A3 but unnessary on the RS3. I have tuned the throttle response on my MT car and while it's great for downshifting I can look like a bucking bronco off idle.

Reducing launch power is because everyone and their grandma is launching these cars and they may want to try to save the driveline

None of these things point to being down on power, it's how power is delivered.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

It isn't Iroz personally. It is Custom Code. Get flashed, join the closed FB group, and read the posts for yourselves. What would make them put up a post if they didn't have access to the binary?

Are we assuming that most of the tuners don't have inside contacts?

It was an unprompted FB post in their private group. What reason would they have to make a post if it was BS?

The down on power part wasn't targeted at you, back a page a user posted (which was new from the last I looked here yesterday) the following...

Concerning my port Stop Order of my TTRS... I talked to my Local General Manager... who heard from a Regional Audi Sales Manager:
    - a certain batch of VIN's for RS3 and TTRS were NOT meeting the window sticker power output.
    - cars before this batch and after this batch meet window sticker specs, and are not affected.
    - Audi has been working on a flash ECU update to these effected RS 5-cyclinder cars. No physical changes, only software mapping.
    - The software update is planned to be conducted Calendar week 11, or March 12 week. Cars will then be released.
    - This is a huge embarrassment to ship cars not per spec, hence the reason to keep information sparse.

That part I took deference to, IMHO I find it very hard to believe. The cars consistently put down well over rated power, how on Earth would Audi suddenly produce batches of cars that are so down on power they need to be reprogrammed and held from their prospective buyers for months?!? That part I simply don't buy, if that were the case these cars are literal pieces of shit that shouldn't be sold to anyone. They were, quite literally built wrong or with substandard parts. I can't even think of what you'd do in terms of manufacturing error to lose 14~15kW of power LOL. That's a lot of unwanted friction or something along those lines. The car makes power based on displacement, compression ratio, fueling and boost pressure and it's a closed loop system. I'm sure there are variances but I wouldn't suspect when most cars are putting down 430+ out of the box suddenly they're going to be <400 and need patches to bring up to standard.

People have complained about the way the transmission behaves with the engine off the line and such, there's the complaints of staling with winter blended fuel in low temp climates or regions of the US etc. Those ALL sound like legitimate cause to revise ECU code...

Regards,

James R.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I love the get flashed and you can join the private Facebook group to see random posts about the problem, I can see that here. hahaha

So my car was held at port originally but release. I guess they weren't sure if it was down on power and decided it wasn't?

No one truly knows the issue and sadly anyone with the word Sales in thier title is likely to not have any idea.

I know my car will never receive the update unless there is compelling evidence there is an actual problem and it's not just fixing drivability BS.
    I am nearing then end of my break in finally and the car is a beast. TheTT RS and RS3 I drove at COTA didn't feel like my TT RS. I'd venture to say it feels stronger than the R8 in a 0-60 scenario

This is exactly why there are so few RS models in the US, too much pissing and moaning. "My throttles too touchy" "My DSG is not smooth like a regular transmission" "My brakes squeak when cold" "My exhaust flaps rattle"

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

While I am on the soapbox. The notion that Audi is sharing the code for a tuner to make money is absurd. Why lock down the computer? Is the intent so they can TD1 and save money on warranty work?
    Any car that has been tuned defies emissions certification. You think dieselgate was bad, get caught leaking the tuning information to an independent company. There is no value in doing so for Audi. Anything shared with a race team would not be a factory ECU and they would not be provided with the street legal tune.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by timzcat View Post
    While I am on the soapbox. The notion that Audi is sharing the code for a tuner to make money is absurd. Why lock down the computer? Is the intent so they can TD1 and save money on warranty work?
    Any car that has been tuned defies emissions certification. You think dieselgate was bad, get caught leaking the tuning information to an independent company. There is no value in doing so for Audi. Anything shared with a race team would not be a factory ECU and they would not be provided with the street legal tune.
    Audi as a company is likely not giving the code to tuners directly. It's more likely (IF it's true that they are getting a hold of it before it gets flashed onto cars, and that is a BIG IF) that someone, somewhere in the chain is selling the information to the tuners. Much like any tech/software there are lots of people that have access to or handle the information at one point or another. Some of these people may not have high ethical standards and are willing to give up this data in exchange for compensation.

That said, I don't know what to believe. I know tuners spend time cracking the ECUs to get access, so I'd be inclined to think they don't have the data. Though ECU security and the code that actually manages the engine are two different things. Tuners are going to be more interested in getting access to the latter earlier.
    Gone: 2016 Golf R
    Current: 1992 GTI 8v
    On order sitting at port: 2018 RS3

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I love the get flashed and you can join the private Facebook group to see random posts about the problem, I can see that here. hahaha

So my car was held at port originally but release. I guess they weren't sure if it was down on power and decided it wasn't?

No one truly knows the issue and sadly anyone with the word Sales in thier title is likely to not have any idea.

I know my car will never receive the update unless there is compelling evidence there is an actual problem and it's not just fixing drivability BS.
    I am nearing then end of my break in finally and the car is a beast. TheTT RS and RS3 I drove at COTA didn't feel like my TT RS. I'd venture to say it feels stronger than the R8 in a 0-60 scenario

This is exactly why there are so few RS models in the US, too much pissing and moaning. "My throttles too touchy" "My DSG is not smooth like a regular transmission" "My brakes squeak when cold" "My exhaust flaps rattle"
    I mean... you could always just, you know, message custom code and ask, but why not just be a ******?! Have fun waiting for your cars.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What did you do for break in? I've read conflicting opinions on how to handle it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So, I take it you got the money for this car from a family member? Strong brain you have. Impeccable logic skills. Oh look, NJ, who would have guessed!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021