Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Pretty sure over-filling the oil on these engines is something to be concerned about. There is a specific warning in the factory manual about it and I've seen others reference it in older posts. Not sure if it would result in your issue, but worth correcting and seeing if the issue remains.

I am hyper-cautious when changing my oil to measure the amount I pull out and put that same amount or a little less back in, then top up over a couple days. That's the problem with a dealer sucking the oil into a big disposal cart -- they have no idea how much they pulled out.

See the image below from the factory manual with the "optimal" level displayed
    2016 Daytona Gray S7. Black optics + sport pkg. APR stage 2 + TCU, eurocode stuff, cosmetic stuff.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guys, you might have my problem identified. Im going to try to get some oil out and see if the problem remains.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Black 2013 S8 - APR Stage 2 Tune and Downpipes - Custom Dual 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust - Ebay Intake Filters - Michelin 285/35/21 PSS

100 Octane - 10.78@129.12 (1.75 60ft)

New time forthcoming with new mods: 104 tune, USP intakes, and VS Forged monoblock wheels

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Morales View Post
    Guys, you might have my problem identified. Im going to try to get some oil out and see if the problem remains.

I was always under the impression that the MMI gives you a warning if you added too much oil! :s
    I know i slightly have a different issue then yours (my car cuts off power when i very slowly build up power and starts to cutoff around 3.5000rpm (i should log and not sure when going slowly up the rpm band give full torque)...
    Fact is, i had it before my recent oil change, still have it after oil change (9 quarts oil afaik what is recommanded).
    COD is deactived since yesterday, no effect on the misfires and cutoff.

Never the less, keeping eye on this, since it doesn't throw an error, i'm clueless (trying to do some simular data graph logging soon).

Hmm, just checked the picture better, damn so oil level needs to be 1 'bar' under max???
    Will drain some aswell!! Always been driving around filling it up so it just topped at max!
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom turbo cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom trailgate spoiler & diffuser
    In development: R8GT steeringwheel | FIS controler (mmi gauges)

AZ Member #

Hell, might as well try reducing your oil level. Its a guessing game but nothing else seems to be working for you.

Black 2013 S8 - APR Stage 2 Tune and Downpipes - Custom Dual 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust - Ebay Intake Filters - Michelin 285/35/21 PSS

New time forthcoming with new mods: 104 tune, USP intakes, and VS Forged monoblock wheels

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Morales View Post
    Hell, might as well try reducing your oil level. Its a guessing game but nothing else seems to be working for you.

For what it is worth, my car was in garage standing still for almost 4 houres. DIS didn't have me oil temp, oil level was like above (1 block under full).
    Started the car and waited untill it reached 67C, oil level showed at full, afaik once you get an oil temp that is the temp you want to correctly read your oil level right? Looks i might have indeed a bit too much, but looking at my manual it clearly says it will give you a warning incase too much oil.
    My oil temps never gone over 105C but could indeed be that tuned the oil pressure increases (but dought it?).
    My oil dipstick is offcourse no big help aswell, when cold it is at the small little dot (not the big one) on the top orange plastic. When at 67C it is lower and 3/4 of the real indicator metal (i waited a minute or 2 for the oil in engine to sink)....

In my case, i haven't tried much beside other gasstations (on my 3th now, lukoil, then esso, now shell, all empty -> full tanks),new sparkplugs, no longer COD and clutch recalibration. I do have a feeling it is getting worse after the COD/clutch trip yesterday (long ride +3h). In my case i can almost simulate it, slowly build up boost/rpm's, once it enters the 3.200 range it starts to stutter/cutoff. If i give it kickdown so it goes instantly past the 3.000-4.000 band, i get my full boost and no issues (sometimes up in the +6.000rpm i soft stutter). It feels like the ECU is unsure if it needs to upshift at 3.2000rpm on the slow buildup or keep building up. No errors at all beside the one time 'too rich' error, but haven't came back after the reset. Since then i have triggered the cutoff several times and logged misfires on 1 and 6 (mainly).
    Sadely the shop i was at yesterday was bit bussy and didn't really took me serious when i ask if they could do a testdrive and log some stuff for me so they could forward it to my tuner. Mailed my tuner today looking what they think i should do (sadely that is 4 houres driving). Audi itself blames it on the tune/fuel, but i also haven't asked to have a closer look at it.
    Like said, will try to do some data graph logging aswell. Mine is S6 stage 2 (so offcourse not the same numbers as yours but....).
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom turbo cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom trailgate spoiler & diffuser

AZ Member #

Any update/results on your side Chris? Sadely i haven't found a decent way to remove oil on my car. Can we suck oil from the dipstick tube? I kinda avoid removing the guards and drain from underneat.

Not sure what gas you guys running over there. Here we have the 95E and the 98. 100 and 102 not really close availible, so i always use 98, but was bit unware some gaspumps have lower quality gas to others :( (always went for the cheapest, beeing honest). The last 2 tanks i went for the best i could find locally (Esso and shell), that didn't really made a difference, but my tuner recommanded me 'as test' to add 7l of bio ethanol on a full gastank. Will be doing that tomorrow...

AZ Member #

Yes, just today I pulled about a quart of oil through the dipstick tube using a $15 fluid transfer pump from the auto parts store. It works, but very slow going. You basically thread a small diameter rubber hose deep down into the dipstick tube when the engine is cold. Today my MMI will not get past the "two minutes" until oil level message no matter how long I have it run, so I don't know how much I've moved the needle. But just driving it to the grocery store and gunning it a bit, I got no cutting out, which is an improvement from two days ago. I'm not ready to say the problem is fixed but I'm optimistic. Will be testing on the highway later this week, and also verifying I didn't take too much oil out.

I doubt that gas quality is your problem, but for what it's worth I use 93 R+M/2, which I think is equivalent to your 98.

AZ Member #

Thanks for reporting! Will try aswell through the dipstick tube.
    The MMI oil reader can have a life of its own sometimes....might want to try with ingition on and pop the hood (completly open). Normally that should give you the oil reading in the DIS aswell.

In a way i also don't think it is fuel quality related, at least not now anymore since i started filling last two tanks with 'proper' fuel but as my tuner sugsested as test, raising the octaan isn't a bad thing (just wondering if i could do that in a long term, 1/10 ethanol is the way to go according to my tuner, just not sure if that would wear out metals or rubber as full E85 does).
    Still holding on to my previous one time P017500 errror (too rish) and will try to figuer out step by step it could be from the workshop manual what is commonly causing it (fuelpomp/filter, fuel lines, air/airleak, injectors, thermostat, coolant/oxygen/maf sensors, tune...). Hope i find it soon!

Senior Member Four Rings Ze_Nardo6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hope it gets sorted Chris! Plenty of room at the rental Saturday if things are running well before then. Weather looks great if forecast stays the course
    Mickey (AKA: AudiS4B8)

2017 Nardo Grey S6; APR Stage 3; RS Turbos; AMS Downpipes; AMS Cooling System; MRC Carbon Inlets; Eventuri Intake; Satin Black HRE P44SC Wheels; Cete Lowering Module; Alu Kreuz; Eurocode Sways and Endlinks; Neidfaktor Carbon Mirrors; Full Suntek PPF

- Stock figures: 12.24 @ 111.8mph; DA +1545; 13mph headwind; 327awhp/335awtq
    - Stage 1: 390awhp/494awtq
    - Instagram: ze_nardo6

AZ Member #

Sorry to put this here, but for what it is worth.
    So my tuner (JD engineering) asked me to run one fuel tank of 98 with 7l of bio ethanol as test. Bio ethanol lowers the ingintion temp of your fuel (if not mistaken).
    Maybe in combination with the low air temps this maybe could be part of my (yours?) problem. For me it is my first winter running stage 2 (previous stage 1).
    Added it when i arrived at work (5l in 50l tank), going back to home initially the stutter was still bit present (ethanol has a higher 'bointy' level so maybe it wasn't properly mixed yet). Added the remaining 2l and filled up the gastank (so now 7l on 70l tank). Warm enigne and i tried to reproduce my stutter, so far (but knocking on wood) the stutter didn't came back yet. Will try to remove some oil aswell tomorrow...and do some more miles/testing.
    Maybe my stage 2 requires more octaan then what my local gaspump provide (sadely 102 octaan isn't to be found nearby).
    Anyway, to be continued....and maybe worth a try in your case aswell.

*eventough it is a 1/10 mixture, the exhaust fumes have a very different smell! uhu you can definatly smell the 'oil burners' ethanol. Wondering by how much this lowers emissions values (since i run catless and looking for EURO5/6 cats to place on stock exhaust, replacing the front resonators with cats).