Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings motopix's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question Who's got the rear end clunk?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Picked up the RS this weekend. Immediately had clunking in what sounds like both rear shocks over rough pavement.
    I've read about this with the S3 and TTs and the fix was a shock tower replacement gasket but I was under the impression from a search that the RS already has the upgraded gasket.

From the same search, it is clear several others have reported the clunking on RS' but I haven't seen a separate thread on it nor a definitive fix. My car has magride and I'm not sure if the problem is limited to those shocks or not.

So have you got the rear end clunk?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2003 GTI VRT

I have it too. Hear it over speed bumps if I go a little too hot, and I don’t have magride. I’m almost certain it’s something under the trunk carpet. Some component in that foam area that is moving around and is heavy enough to make an audible clunk when the car hits a bump at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    flickr | Instagram | 2003 GTI VRT | 2018 RS3
    VRSociety: Facebook | Instagram

AZ Member #

I hear it clearly from both sides of the rear, top shock mount area. Although the source of sounds can be deceiving. I don't hear it while going over speed bumps so much as rough pavement.

There was mention in the search results that some people thought it was the rear springs becoming loose as they rebounded over a bump and that the MSS springs would or might (can't remember) fix this as they had a higher rate and therefore sat in their perches more firmly.

Established Member Two Rings keninblaine's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    96 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by motopix View Post
    I hear it clearly from both sides of the rear, top shock mount area. Although the source of sounds can be deceiving. I don't hear it while going over speed bumps so much as rough pavement.

There was mention in the search results that some people thought it was the rear springs becoming loose as they rebounded over a bump and that the MSS springs would or might (can't remember) fix this as they had a higher rate and therefore sat in their perches more firmly.
    DannyLo and I may be experiencing a different issue than you're describing. Like him, my rear end makes a terrible clunk if I drive very quickly over speed bumps. I've learned to take them very slowly so the rear wheels don't drop too quickly. I hate it. It sounds like the rear shocks don't do anything to resist the wheels dropping quickly. Seems to be an inherent characteristic of the rear end design on this car. BTW I'm at 5000 miles and have had the car for just over 4 months.

It's a longshot but check to see if the dealer forgot to remove suspension shipping spacers during PDI.
    2018 Audi RS3 Daytona Gray / Alu / Dynamic+ / Tech / CF Inlay / Leatherette / Gray Stich
    2018 Audi Q5 Monsoon Gray / Premium / Convenience

Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had it before the MSS springs and after.

I took the car to the dealer before the MSS springs, but they couldn't reproduce the problem. I even took a service tech on a drive, but he was a large dude and I think the extra weight in the car helped to keep the noise at bay.
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DQBRS3 View Post
    It's a longshot but check to see if the dealer forgot to remove suspension shipping spacers during PDI.

Within an hour of delivery, I was at my mechanic getting winter tires swapped on so we had a good look at the suspension: no shipping spacers.
    It's very similar to the sound you get when strut top hats are worn out or loose.

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread as my search showed several RS3 owners mentioning it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    I had it before the MSS springs and after.

I took the car to the dealer before the MSS springs, but they couldn't reproduce the problem. I even took a service tech on a drive, but he was a large dude and I think the extra weight in the car helped to keep the noise at bay.
    That's disappointing but not surprising because it sounds like it's coming from the top of the shocks inside the cabin (louder with the rear seats down too) and not the separately mounted rear springs.

Established Member Two Rings Swat413's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have noticed it too. It kind of sounds like the foam in the trunk “slapping” down. Besides that it does sound like strut tops are shot.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

same here, i hear it at low speeds on Boston roads it happens pretty often and often makes me double take did something just break

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DQBRS3 View Post
    It is somehow related to them spacers. There is a TSB for the rear clunking. I'm not exactly sure what they did but there was either part of a shipping lock still in place or they knocked something out of wack when removing them.

No more rear clunking.

Active Member Two Rings Emokeff's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't know if it's related but I get a clunk from the rear when I back up my driveway or road that has a slight up hill incline. I haven't thought much of it though. My former S3 made weird noises too.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had the rear end clunk. Had. Here’s my story, I don’t know if y’alls cars are making a similar noise. Anyway, about a month ago now when I was driving home from an hour or so away I started noticing a developing noise in the rear that would not go away. I pulled the wheel off of the side that it was coming from and noticed nothing was out of place. About a week later, due to my busy schedule, I took the car to my dealer. The dealers diagnosis was that the rear left shock had somehow blown completely. Here is what bothers me, non of the other corners of the car made any noise, nor do they today even after getting fixed. At the time that the shock went bad I had 1600 miles on the car. There’s no possible explanation for a brand new car to have a blown shock at any sort of miles, especially this low. I’ve got a pretty much base car so it has magnetic ride as well. Thought I’d post to let y’all know