Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Question have owners have any problems with new b9 S4 ?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    please post here.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had a rattle noise in the dash but it turned out to be a missing pin and the had a ticking sound from the pins being to long on the rear deck causing it to hit the rear window. There was a tab on the last one.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 B8 S4, 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, 2013 BMW S1000RR

No problems. 3500 miles.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Not sure if it's a problem or just something I haven't clued in on yet but... the Start/Stop doesn't always work. I know that if I have the AC on, it doesn't work, if I have the seat heaters on full, it doesn't work. But quite often I'm just driving with the vent fan on low to circulate air and I'll come to a stop and the motor doesn't stop.

On the flip side, the Start/Stop feature really sucks as it's not very intelligent as compared to other cars with start/stop tech that I've driven. When it works, it comes on too soon. No complaints about how fast it restarts though.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dragon View Post
    Not sure if it's a problem or just something I haven't clued in on yet but... the Start/Stop doesn't always work. I know that if I have the AC on, it doesn't work, if I have the seat heaters on full, it doesn't work. But quite often I'm just driving with the vent fan on low to circulate air and I'll come to a stop and the motor doesn't stop.

On the flip side, the Start/Stop feature really sucks as it's not very intelligent as compared to other cars with start/stop tech that I've driven. When it works, it comes on too soon. No complaints about how fast it restarts though.
    Agree

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

From what I gathered is the harder you press on brake pedal when at stop it will kick in. The lighter you press it won’t .

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings electron bom's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4 EVO IX

No problems, 4500 miles.

Senior Member Two Rings mystik4l06's Avatar
    AZ Member #

11k miles on mine and no issues at all. I turn off the start/stop religiously and I’ve never had it “not” work. Then again I always drive on S so it’s disengaged regardless.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by danaeroS4 View Post
    From what I gathered is the harder you press on brake pedal when at stop it will kick in. The lighter you press it won’t .

Yea, I've stood on the peddle and nada. Then sometimes I am just rolling to a stop and it kicks in and I'm barely applying any brake pressure. So I get a 'stutter step' with the start/stop. Quite annoying actually.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Rattles galore on the front door panels.
    Previous: 2013 Audi S4 P+
    Current:

2016 BMW F80 M3 (YMB)
    2018 B9 Audi S4
    My Instagram

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mpower3o2 View Post
    Rattles galore on the front door panels.
    I got a recall notice the other day about alum trim around the front and rear speakers were prone to come loose and bend and cause a cut or some other safety issues and that Audi would start to fix them next year.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 B8 S4, 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, 2013 BMW S1000RR

There’s an algorithm at work that keeps the engine running at times, which I assume has to do with demand for current and the state of battery charge.

Senior Member Two Rings dbuxton13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't wish for this to come off snarky, but the owner's manual will tell you how this system works, and there are a lot of parameters and programming going on behind the scenes. I think it works just fine and as intended. Before receiving the car I thought I would want to turn it off manually for every drive, but I've found if I want to drive casually and save fuel I keep the drive in D and it works when needed, and when I want more spirited driving I place the drive in S (and dynamic) which overrides it completely.

Pertinent bits from the manual:

The engine stops in the P, N and D selector lever positions.

If you select the R position during a Stop phase, the engine will start again.

You can determine for yourself if the engine will stop or not by reducing or increasing the amount of force you use to press the brake pedal. For example, if you only lightly press on the brake pedal in stop-and-go traffic or when turning, the engine will not switch off when the vehicle is stationary. As soon as you press the brake down harder, the engine will switch off.

Before and during each stop phase, the system checks if certain conditions have been met. If the [Start/Stop Disabled] indicator light appears in the instrument cluster display, the engine will not be stopped, for example in the following situations:
    - The engine has not reached the minimum required temperature for Start/Stop mode.
    - The interior temperature selected by the climate control system has not been reached.
    - The outside temperature is extremely high/low.
    - The windshield is being defrosted.
    - The vehicle battery charge level is too low.
    - The steering wheel is turned at a sharp angle or is moving.
    - After engaging the reverse gear.
    - On sharp inclines.
    - At high altitudes.

The standard Start/Stop mode will be canceled during a stop phase in the following situations. The engine restarts without any action by the driver.
    - The vehicle rolls, for example while on a slope.
    - The interior temperature differs from the temperature selected in the A/C system.
    - The brake pedal is pressed several times in a row.
    - Power consumption is high.
    The engine can turn off again when the conditions for Start/Stop mode are met.

Watch your display for the Start/Stop system icons, they will tell you if the system is allowing or preventing it from working based on all the above.
    B9 S4

Established Member Two Rings electron bom's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4 EVO IX

I got a recall notice the other day about alum trim around the front and rear speakers were prone to come loose and bend and cause a cut or some other safety issues and that Audi would start to fix them next year.
    I got this recall notice as well, but it indicates the malfunction only exists with the A4 and A5.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

I have a buzz just above my left ear, right where the headliner starts. Driving me nuts. Could not be in a worse place lol. Only a pound or two of pressure and it's gone.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Use code Mops13 for 13% off your Adams Polishes order!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    I don't wish for this to come off snarky, but the owner's manual will tell you how this system works, and there are a lot of parameters and programming going on behind the scenes. I think it works just fine and as intended. Before receiving the car I thought I would want to turn it off manually for every drive, but I've found if I want to drive casually and save fuel I keep the drive in D and it works when needed, and when I want more spirited driving I place the drive in S (and dynamic) which overrides it completely.

Pertinent bits from the manual:

The engine stops in the P, N and D selector lever positions.

If you select the R position during a Stop phase, the engine will start again.

You can determine for yourself if the engine will stop or not by reducing or increasing the amount of force you use to press the brake pedal. For example, if you only lightly press on the brake pedal in stop-and-go traffic or when turning, the engine will not switch off when the vehicle is stationary. As soon as you press the brake down harder, the engine will switch off.

Before and during each stop phase, the system checks if certain conditions have been met. If the [Start/Stop Disabled] indicator light appears in the instrument cluster display, the engine will not be stopped, for example in the following situations:
    - The engine has not reached the minimum required temperature for Start/Stop mode.
    - The interior temperature selected by the climate control system has not been reached.
    - The outside temperature is extremely high/low.
    - The steering wheel is turned at a sharp angle or is moving.
    - After engaging the reverse gear.
    - On sharp inclines.
    - At high altitudes.

The standard Start/Stop mode will be canceled during a stop phase in the following situations. The engine restarts without any action by the driver.
    - The vehicle rolls, for example while on a slope.
    - The interior temperature differs from the temperature selected in the A/C system.
    - The brake pedal is pressed several times in a row.
    - Power consumption is high.
    The engine can turn off again when the conditions for Start/Stop mode are met.

Watch your display for the Start/Stop system icons, they will tell you if the system is allowing or preventing it from working based on all the above.
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

Some of the logic/algorithms are flawed or just well, unnecessary. Like the difference of interior temp vs. selected temp - if I don't have the AC on, the difference should not matter, the steering wheel is moving or a sharp angle... If I'm slowing down from speed to a dead stop, I'm not cranking my wheel in any direction except to leave it in a straight, upward position. At high altitudes... how much harder is it to stop/start a motor at high altitudes than it is a low altitudes - are they saying it takes more gaz?

AZ Member #

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Some of the logic/algorithms are flawed or just well, unnecessary. Like the difference of interior temp vs. selected temp - if I don't have the AC on, the difference should not matter, the steering wheel is moving or a sharp angle... If I'm slowing down from speed to a dead stop, I'm not cranking my wheel in any direction except to leave it in a straight, upward position. At high altitudes... how much harder is it to stop/start a motor at high altitudes than it is a low altitudes - are they saying it takes more gaz?
    All of these are important primarily for safety reasons, and I assure you very smart nerdy people have carefully figured this all out. Think of the engine as more than just the thing that makes the car go, it's essentially a powerplant that makes everything else work including auxiliary electric motors, hydraulics, climate control compressors, etc.

If the car is working to get the interior temperature to your selected temperature, there are systems it needs to do that whether you have physically disabled the AC or not.

Direct power from the generator (which only runs when the engine is running) is critical for steering rack movements, which are commanded by the steering wheel.

If you are slowing down to a stop straight ahead the Start/Stop will turn the engine off right before you stop based on how hard you are pressing the pedal. This is a normal function for any car with this sytem, including a Mercedes-Benz I drove the other day.

High altitudes (like Denver) have lower atmospheric pressure, thus a lower net pressure is available in the cylinders which produces less power (until the turbo kicks in to increase the pressure again) and there is more demand on the system, so it is less likely to shut off.

I realize some of this may be difficult to understand, but with this increased awareness you can improve your understanding of the system as you experience different situations and can better anticipate them. Or if you just don't like it, put the selector in S like most people and never worry about it again.
    B9 S4

AZ Member #

In my VC when the maps are selected whether in main screen or side screen every so often it goes black just for split second ...had dealership look at it and the deemed the VC screen needed to be replaced, so they replaced it only to find out it doing same on new screen and then came to their attention that a Q5 doing same and it was a software update. So they changed the screen for no reason lol. They did say they waiting for software update for the S4s

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The thing with very smart, nerdy people is that they and their designs need to be tempered with real-world issues and go through a QA/Feedback process so that they can revise designs or optimize their code.

Some back-and-forth to your responses:

Interior temp: this is really 'gimmicky' and while I understand that the Audi S4 is a "luxury-performance" vehicle and not a "performance-luxury" vehicle, the nerds should have been told that this is quite useless (IMHO). If they wanted to do this right, they should have coded the CPU to factor in whether or not it is winter or any other season.

Steering: If i'm having to do an emergency maneuver and come to a complete stop with the wheel cranked, I can understand not shutting off. If I'm rolling to a stop and need to make a slight adjustment to (do whatever), it should still stop the motor.

High Alt: unless I'm running up Pike's Peak, starting and stopping a car requires the same amount of air from the very first time I start the car to 'normal' driving. The turbo really doesn't kick in, until throttle is applied. So, if the nerdy people were thinking that the "luxury-performance" drivers hammer the throttle from a stop, this would explain it I guess. But still, IMHO, not a smart thing.

I understand the premise behind all this, but I don't necessarily agree with it :) I would prefer more options to disable/enable certain aspects of the Start/Stop. But that's just the nerd in me lol

AZ Member #

High Alt: unless I'm running up Pike's Peak, starting and stopping a car requires the same amount of air from the very first time I start the car to 'normal' driving. The turbo really doesn't kick in, until throttle is applied. So, if the nerdy people were thinking that the "luxury-performance" drivers hammer the throttle from a stop, this would explain it I guess. But still, IMHO, not a smart thing.
    Where is Yermouth, somehow Google doesn't know where that is, lol. Is it high altitude there and that's why you are concerned? If at high altitude, the barometric pressure is lower, simple as that, thus lower power to engine. Not sure how else to explain it without breaking out whiteboards and videos. Obviously the turbo is not working at start, and has nothing to do with the start/stop system. I only mentioned the turbo because once under demand or load that is how an engine can compensate for lower pressure (it will boost sooner due to demand).

The S4 engine was developed in partnership with Porsche for the Panamera, so if you really want to know what they mean by "high altitude" fortunately they are more specific in the Porsche manual: "At altitudes above approx. 9,843 ft. (3,000 meters)."

At that altitude the atmospheric pressure is 29% less compared to sea level. For combustion engines, that is a lot.

Is this your first car with Start/Stop? They all operate pretty much the same. Audi, BMW, Porsche, MB, Volkswagen... nobody is really reinventing the wheel in that category.
    B9 S4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yermouth? It's where the party is at 😁.

It's a long standing joke between my friends and forum buddies, as I'm originally from Yarmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I used to party a lot when I was younger, people would ask me where's the party this weekend...? I would always say: the parties in yer mouth. We're all cumming. So every online site I'm on that isn't for work, I use Yermouth as my location 😊😁

Senior Member Three Rings TurboQuattroPwr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

have owners have any problems with new b9 S4 ?

3.3k miles

- Tapping noise from rear window

- Buzzing noise from back seat (only noticeable above 70mph)

- Front passenger window sticks

- Rear red calipers were missing the ‘S’ plate (ordered the ‘S’ Sport Pkg). **Missing from the factory - Audi fixed**

2018 Audi S4 3.0T
    18% Tint, CquartzPro Ceramic Coating

2002 Audi A4 1.8TQM *Gone*

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

11000 miles and no real problems. I think they could do a little transmission tweaks but overall it's a great car. I'm very happy with it.
    I do have one small rattle in the sunroof shade but it's very small.
    The start/stop is way better in this car than the Mercedes I came from. I never use it but from the few times I've forgotten to turn it off it's been pretty good.

AZ Member #

17k miles. Infrequent but recurring issue with start/stop system. Seems to occur when the engine wants to autostop, but doesn't completely shut down and then throws an error and limits RPMs to 3500. Error goes away if you restart the car. It may happen again or it may not. It's happened at least 10 times. Had it into the dealer twice to address. Dealer can't replicate, installs software upgrade, shrugs shoulders.

Established Member Two Rings S3 lover's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TurboQuattroPwr View Post
    3.3k miles

- Rear red calipers were missing the ‘S’ plate (ordered the ‘S’ Sport Pkg). **Missing from the factory - Audi fixed**

Could you please post a pic of the rear caliper and show me what you mean? I don’t have an S plate and I want to see what it should look like.

Senior Member Three Rings TurboQuattroPwr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by S3 lover View Post
    Could you please post a pic of the rear caliper and show me what you mean? I don’t have an S plate and I want to see what it should look like.
    Check the thread I started in the “Audi Customer Experience” section. They should NOT look like this:

2018 Audi S4 3.0T
    18% Tint, CquartzPro Ceramic Coating

2002 Audi A4 1.8TQM *Gone*

AZ Member #

Check the thread I started in the “Audi Customer Experience” section. They should NOT look like this:

Mine is missing those too, what is up with this? Is it a plastic cover that snaps into place?

If you have the correct part now, can you show a new pic that looks like this one? The others with the covers on are a bit blurry and hard to see.
    B9 S4

Senior Member Three Rings socialpro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 RS7, 2014 A6 TDI, 2018 S4, 2013 Gallardo 50th Anniversary

3.3k miles

There is a TSB for the rear window tapping noise. Had mine taken care of about a month back. So far this is the only issue in 3k miles / 4 months of driving.

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

have owners have any problems with new b9 S4 ?

I have a whining noise coming from the drivers side front wheel when idle rolling. Also, an engine ticking noise that sounds like a playing card hitting bicycle spokes when feathering the throttle from a stop. There’s a rattle coming from the rear windshield. The steering wheel is already cocked to the left ( my B8.5 never had this issue the 5 years I’ve owned it and I hit plenty of potholes). I get about 180 miles out of a tank . The delayed e brake release noise is also really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.

Veteran Member Three Rings 05blacks4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ive also had the crooked steering wheel since new.
    18 S5 Sportback - Glacier White w/ Magma Red Interior - Stock and Slow
    16 F82 M4 Yas - VF Hex Tuned - Marina Blue w/ Sakhir Orange Interior
    15 S5 Sepang Blue Pearl - Lunar Silver Interior - GIAC Stage 2 - Roc Euro - AWE
    14 S4 Glacier White w/ red -TD1'ed and traded! - GIAC Stage 2 - Roc Euro - AWE
    05 E46 M3 - Proefi/HPF Stage 2 turbo kit - 646 rwhp & 549 wtq on E85 SOLD
    05 B6 S4 SOLD

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by 05blacks4 View Post
    Ive also had the crooked steering wheel since new.
    It’s driving me crazy

Pedal Responce first responder.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Brutale 1090, BMW 535ix

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringnut View Post
    It’s driving me crazy

Is that with adaptive steering?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I was missing a grocery hook on the right side of the trunk, missing LED light on the left side of trunk (there’s a cutout but no light), now just found out I’m missing the rear brake dust covers as I have the S sport package. How is that these cars are passing QC from the plant? I was able to get my local Audi dealership to install second grocery hook but they did not address the missing LED light as US and Canada models does not come with a second LED light? Will contact them regarding the S plate on rear brakes.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

***correction missing hook was on the left side and missing LED trunk light is on the right side.

AZ Member #

I had to have my rear subwoofer replaced at 10,500 miles speaker malfunctioned and starting rattling real bad dealer replaced no questions asked.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've got a S5 SB with 3600 miles. No real issues other than some creaking on the roof when going up/down driveways at an angle.

After 3600 miles my steering wheel was slightly crooked to the right, but the alignment was still fine. I just fixed it myself by adjusting the tie rods 1/4 turn each to center out the steering wheel.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ash2018S4 View Post
    I was missing a grocery hook on the right side of the trunk, missing LED light on the left side of trunk (there’s a cutout but no light), now just found out I’m missing the rear brake dust covers as I have the S sport package. How is that these cars are passing QC from the plant? I was able to get my local Audi dealership to install second grocery hook but they did not address the missing LED light as US and Canada models does not come with a second LED light? Will contact them regarding the S plate on rear brakes.

I just went outside to check and I have a grocery hook on the right but not the left, and I have the LED one the left but not the right. Can we confirm this is how its supposed to be? The missing LED is rather bizarre because as you stated there is a cutout for it?

I also have the missing rear brake caliper cover. I've actually noticed lots of people have this. Just go to the Wheel Thread on here and see all the people that have it missing. I posted on the Audi Customer Experience forum here and the customer service agent confirmed through VIN I should have it and to go to my dealer to address it. I have no problem with this but I wouldn't be surprised to have the dealership have no idea what I'm talking about. I wish there was a TSB # for it. Another person showed a screen shot diagram and it appears that the covers get affixed by two points that go into holes on the caliper which we clearly don't have. I'm not sure its a simple retrofit but I could be wrong. Has anyone got this addressed yet?

When the park assist is activated it refused to save the last setting of the 360 camera. It reverts back to the graphic. I heard on Facebook there should be an MMI flash to address this shortly.

The Radio refuses to save the last settings of the presets. It seems to either be on FM or on XM when I get into the car and I have to click over to the presents. Really a first world problem here but it bothers me.

I only have 1400 miles on her so hopefully I won't have too many other issues. I do think these issues above are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Really enjoying the car and its a huge upgrade from the S3 we had before.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Missing grocery hook was on the left side of trunk which my dealership corrected. Missing LED light is on right side if you look there’s a cutout for it but no light. US and Canada models does not come with the second LED light for some bizarre reason. Also contacted my dealership about the missing S plate on rear calipers, and they ordered “corrective kit” which is about two weeks out. Will post update and part number when I get that corrected. Hope it’s a simple retrofit and nothing major. Parts department seemed like they knew what the problem was, on the phone at least. Fingers crossed 🤞

AZ Member #

Missing grocery hook was on the left side of trunk which my dealership corrected. Missing LED light is on right side if you look there’s a cutout for it but no light. US and Canada models does not come with the second LED light for some bizarre reason. Also contacted my dealership about the missing S plate on rear calipers, and they ordered “corrective kit” which is about two weeks out. Will post update and part number when I get that corrected. Hope it’s a simple retrofit and nothing major. Parts department seemed like they knew what the problem was, on the phone at least. Fingers crossed 🤞
    Depends when your car was made the back calipers are slightly different. The newer made cars don’t have the covers because slightly different design if you look closely.

I too ask my dealer he got word back from Audi Germany. Then we both confirmed with pictures of the other style rear calipers and the newer ones.

AZ Member #

Can you tell me which dealership had this answer for you? I am in Germany with a US spec car and the German dealerships won't help me. I've tried calling a few US service departments at random and so far none of them have had anyone come in with this problem, nor did they have any clue about it or any other helpful info. I am beyond frustrated with the lack of response for this problem.
    B9 S4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast