Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Hugh@EuropaParts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cold weather surge from Torque Converter B7 A4 2.0t Quattro

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm reaching out to see if there is anything that can be done about a VERY common problem found on the B7 A4 chassis. Having owned many Audis and Volkswagens I have NEVER had this issue until the B7.

The torque converter causes surging in cold weather until the car fully warms up which make driving conditions a bit dangerous as you won't have power in case of an emergency.

Here are a few thread showing that this is a very common issue.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

Thread 6

Thread 7

Thread 8
    Hubert
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 800.877.7033 x 101
    Email: hubert@europaparts.com
    Facebook: Like Us on Facebook

AZ Member #

The answer from Audi was to bring it to the dealership so they can run tests to see what the issue is...

We know what the issue is... a sub par engineered part that fails on all B7 models... like the cam follower which they also won't cover.
    Hubert

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the same problem. My car went to the dealer in Fairfield, CT. years ago and they suggested a new torque converter at my cost since the car was out of warranty. That was their only solution to the surging issue.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by menace1930 View Post
    I have the same problem. My car went to the dealer in Fairfield, CT. years ago and they suggested a new torque converter at my cost since the car was out of warranty. That was their only solution to the surging issue.
    Same... we get so many calls about this issue and what the fix is. Unfortunately it's a poorly built / designed part which is a known issue on ALL tip models. Unfortunately AUDI won't pony up and do the right thing...
    Hubert

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 VW Sportwagen Diesel

Hubert,

Can you let us know what the part was? I had a 2006 A6 3.2 with 100,000 miles that had developed this problem. Audi suggested a new TC but it was not a guaranteed fix. I even visited a ZF rebuild shop here in Connecticut and spoke to the owner about having them do a rebuild. I ended up trading it for a 2008 because Audi could not assure me that they knew the problem. The 2008 was much better but it still exhibited the problem but to a much lesser extent during the winter before the car was fully warmed up.