Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Liquidsystm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Need to replace rear pads/rotors on S7

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The indicator light hasn't come on yet, but I'm starting to feel the rear brakes not holding up when coming to a stop. I'm going to do the install myself, but besides new pads and rotors, do I need anything else for the replacement? Thanks!
    S7
    Phantom Black Pearl | APR Stage 1 | AWE S-FLO Carbon Air Intake | Milltek Non-Resonated Exhaust | Airmatic Lowering Links | Eurocode Stabilizer Bars | 21x10.5 BLK 503 GTR Monaco Gold | RS7 Flat Bottom Wheel | Black Optics | Carbon Inlay | Xpel Ultimate

IG: gaberoonie

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsystm View Post
    The indicator light hasn't come on yet, but I'm starting to feel the rear brakes not holding up when coming to a stop. I'm going to do the install myself, but besides new pads and rotors, do I need anything else for the replacement? Thanks!
    If you have electronic parking brakes in the rear, you will need a battery charger to maintain system voltage and a VAGCOM or equivalent to deactivate and activate EPB control unit.

Veteran Member Three Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6, D4 A8L, MK1 TT Roadster, Lexus RX 400h

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsystm View Post
    I doubt you can feel the rears not assisting in stopping... they really don't do much. Check the condition of your tires. Seriously.
    2012 A7 PP| S Exterior| RS Carbon Optics| Carbon spoiler| Carbon diffuser| Aluminum mirrors/ carbon pods| V6T badges| Smoked tail, side markers| 21" High-Gloss Black Blade wheels| S sport exhaust| APR Stage II 93 dual pulleys| RS7 intake| S Sport Brembos Ft/RR| TAG B/O rings

Alcantara Exclusive Interior| Super sport seats| FB Steering wheel| S door sills| RS shifter| quattro puddle lights
    S Aluminum Pedals| RS floor mats| S start button| Piano Black inlays| RS Seat belts| Ambient lighting|

Senior Member Three Rings Liquidsystm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A6sport View Post
    I doubt you can feel the rears not assisting in stopping... they really don't do much. Check the condition of your tires. Seriously.
    Yeah, front brakes and new Michelin PSS tires were installed 1.5 months ago. Dealer did the front brakes and said my rears were down to a 2 out of 5 scale. There was still some pad left and more bite when I got it back and put about 450 miles since. The car still stops fine, but definitely feeling more dive under braking this week. I got my car back knowing that I would need to change the rears soon so I know it's the cause.
    S7
    Phantom Black Pearl | APR Stage 1 | AWE S-FLO Carbon Air Intake | Milltek Non-Resonated Exhaust | Airmatic Lowering Links | Eurocode Stabilizer Bars | 21x10.5 BLK 503 GTR Monaco Gold | RS7 Flat Bottom Wheel | Black Optics | Carbon Inlay | Xpel Ultimate

IG: gaberoonie

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You will need the sensor also. The pad kits i bought did not come with sensors.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gwillplays View Post
    If you have electronic parking brakes in the rear, you will need a battery charger to maintain system voltage and a VAGCOM or equivalent to deactivate and activate EPB control unit.
    Can you tell me why a battery charger is needed for this?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by saadcee View Post
    Can you tell me why a battery charger is needed for this?
    It is necessary because when you are deactivating and later activating the EPB you could go below the threshold of the electrical system. Once this happens, you will not be able to later activate the EPB and will get costly with a tow and new calipers. This is documented per the factory manual and on VCDS YouTube video.