Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Seattle996's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ and constant air leaks..?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey dudes, curious if anyone has a constant leak w/ their pilot sport AS 3+ tires? I've had numerous deflates on one wheel. I've taken it to Discount Tire multiple times to be told that their is nothing wrong with it. I finally found the leak to be coming out the inside seam between the wheel and tire. I was able to get a new tire and no issue on that wheel.

Just yesterday, it happened to another wheel. No nail or screw visible in the tire. Because I drove hundred or so feet on it deflated, they didn't want to diagnose and gave me a new one.

My concern is I have kids and don't want these tires to be a hazard while driving. I haven't had issues w/ my previous tires on these Niche wheels. So I don't know if its the Niche/Michelin combo not having a good seal between the two or if it is a michelin issue in general?

Any thoughts? I love these tires for my climate.. but my confidence has been put to the test recently. They are essentially new tires.

2013 Monsoon S4 | EPL Dual Pulley Tuned | EPL S/C Pulley | Fluidampr 183mm Crank Pulley | H&R OE Springs | Niche Form 19x9.5 | Custom X-Pipe Delete | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | RS4 Grill Kit | Euro Impulse Shifter

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

No issues with them on 17" wheels on my 2007 A4. BTW, nice looking ride.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19 peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods | Autostyle Mats

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

no issues here, about 2k miles so far on OEM peelers
    2012 Glacier White 6MT - APR Stage II

Active Member Two Rings 4DOORFUN's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No issues on my car either, but I'm using the OEM tire size with the OEM black optics wheels.
    2016 S4 DSG | Florett Silver | Black Optic | Tech | Nappa Leather | Sport Diff | Michelin's AS 3+

Senior Member Four Rings Thurston's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i just had these put on about 3 months ago.. i don't believe I have had any issues and I sure like them more thus far than the oem continentals.
    2015 Volcano Red S4
    | 6MT / yellow fogs / RS4 grille / APR DP / AWE / o34Motorsport / cr-15 / other stuff.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I understand your concerns. What size rims? Tire pressures? Looks like some tire stretch but not excessive. Maybe a defect on the sealing lip of the rim itself?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corradobrit View Post
    I understand your concerns. What size rims? Tire pressures? Looks like some tire stretch but not excessive. Maybe a defect on the sealing lip of the rim itself?
    Same wheel size as stock. No stretch either, though that pic isn't the best. Tire size 255/35/19 like stock. Pressure like stock. Wheels are straight, they checked multiple times. I don't know if I got a bad batch, but 2 out of 4 is strange.
    2013 Monsoon S4 | EPL Dual Pulley Tuned | EPL S/C Pulley | Fluidampr 183mm Crank Pulley | H&R OE Springs | Niche Form 19x9.5 | Custom X-Pipe Delete | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | RS4 Grill Kit | Euro Impulse Shifter

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 STI - full suspension upgrade, Stage II+, 2015 M235 coupe
    Items for Sale

Never had an issue with any of tge Michelin tires regarding air leaks. It sounds like it might be the seal area on the rim. Since they are aftmkt rims the wheels the seal area may be rough or have some other defect causing the leak. It might be a simple sanding of any rough areas to ensure a better seal. If the wheels are defective you might contact the mfr.

You didn't mention whether you had any different brand of tires on these rims and didn't have air leak.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If its so predictable might be worth installing the leaky tire on one of the other 3 rims and see if the issue follows. That will confirm its a tire manufacture problem.

AZ Member #

No issues on my AS3+. Have had them for over a year. Its been about 15000 miles.
    2011 Phantom Black Effect S4 6MT, Sport Differential, Advanced Key, Audi Side Assist, Navigation, B&O, Red/black Silk Nappa Leather, Carbon Fiber Atlas Trim, Flat-Bottom Steering wheel with red stitching, RS4 Aluminum pedals, 034 Transmission mount, Roc-Euro Intake, Roc-Euro Short Shifter, 90mm AWE Touring Exhaust with stock downpipes, Unitronic Stage 2+, JHM 179mm Overdrive Crank Pulley, Stasis rear sway bar, Gloss Black RS4 Grille

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Some car

Best way to find where the leak source is to submerge the entire wheel/tire in a bathtub or one of those kid's pool. I suspect it's probably the wheel defect near the inner barrel where it meets tire.

Veteran Member Four Rings skiracerblah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Evo X MR : 290whp, 313 lbs/torque @ 24psi; Evo IX : 383whp, 383 lbs/torque @ 28psi E85

You can also spray some soapy water on the valve stem and see if you have air bubbles coming out of the stem.
    Sorry for newbie questions, this is my 1st Audi
    Current: Phantom Black '2011 S4 S-Tronic Premium Plus, Sports Rear Diff, JL Audio subwoofer upgrade, Milltek Resonated Exhaust
    Old cars:
    Evo X MR-Touring stock, but tuned by RRE: 290whp, 313 lbs/torque @ 24psi 91 octane
    Evo IX tuned by RRE: 383whp, 383 lbs/torque @ 28psi E85 ethanol fuel

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In the same tires here in Seattle as well. Does your TPMS go off when it happens? I don't have any leaks out of the ordinary to my knowledge (maybe -6 to -8 psi over the course of 4-6 months). I did get a flat a few weeks ago that got repaired although my TPMS never went off.

Active Member Two Rings Tuneman7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No issues here, on stock clovers

Senior Member Three Rings SForePlayin''s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Odyssey, 2016 Toyota Camry SE
    Items for Sale

Mine are going on next week, on my stock black optic rotors. Fingers crossed.....I'll report back if any problems.

2014 S4 Ice Silver Metallic | Black Optic | DSG | Sport Diff | ADS | Fine Black Nappa | MMI Nav + | B&O | Carbon Atlas Inlays | Supercharged Badges | Advanced Key | OEM Floor and Trunk Mats | Michelin PSS A/S 3 | Lamin-x Yellow | deAutoLED | Carista |
    2003 A4 Sedan | Light Silver Metallic | MT6 | 3.0 Quattro | - Traded In

Active Member Two Rings The Machine's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As stated before, the best way to test for a leak is to submerge the tire fully or at minimum use soapy water around the bead on the front/back of the rim as well as the valve stem. The tire shop that did the install could have possibly sliced the rubber where it seals to the rim as well when they were initially stretching the tire over the rim.

Also, depending on how long you have owned those rims, I have seen corrosion build up on the inner lip of the rim itself where the bead sets. You then use a wire wheel to take off that corrosion so the bead can set fully so that no air can leak. You also want to make sure the inner lip of the tire is clean as well. As a last resort you can always have the shop wipe on bead sealer so that it would be extremely hard for any leak to occur.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I never had this issue, but the issue I did have was that it seemed to be impossible to get them balanced properly. No matter how many times I brought it to the shop, there was always a vibration. Just put on new Conti DWS, and will never go back.

Established Member Two Rings Arn560's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota Sequoia SR5, Toyota Solara

Also check to see if your rim has a hairline fracture in it; That came as a shock to me when I found one!!!
    2011 B8 S4 Prestige, Ibis White, B & O, Nav, Carista Mods, Sports Differential, Black hide & Alcantara, CF inlays, S4 rubber mats, 19" Peelers, Ziza interior LEDs Lubed with Mobil 1.

Senior Member Four Rings Johnnycash's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Hyundai Genesis. 1995 impala ss

Quote Originally Posted by amusante View Post
    I never had this issue, but the issue I did have was that it seemed to be impossible to get them balanced properly. No matter how many times I brought it to the shop, there was always a vibration. Just put on new Conti DWS, and will never go back.
    if they wont balance out you probably have a bent wheel.

I have put about 6-7k on my as3+ (fall/spring setup) and no issues at all.
    2011 QGM w/black optics, EPL stg1, HRE p43sc w/pss, b-12pro-kit, 034 trans mount, cts intake, stoptech drilled/slotted, akebonos all around, vmr 710 w/nokian r2s, stock rotor wheels w michelin as3+, autostyle custom floormats, 3m paint protection on entire front.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
    if they wont balance out you probably have a bent wheel.

I have put about 6-7k on my as3+ (fall/spring setup) and no issues at all.
    Everything is perfectly balanced now with the new tires. Vibration is completely gone now.

Senior Member Four Rings Johnnycash's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Hyundai Genesis. 1995 impala ss

Quote Originally Posted by amusante View Post
    Everything is perfectly balanced now with the new tires. Vibration is completely gone now.
    interesting, glad you got it figured out.
    2011 QGM w/black optics, EPL stg1, HRE p43sc w/pss, b-12pro-kit, 034 trans mount, cts intake, stoptech drilled/slotted, akebonos all around, vmr 710 w/nokian r2s, stock rotor wheels w michelin as3+, autostyle custom floormats, 3m paint protection on entire front.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by The Machine View Post
    As stated before, the best way to test for a leak is to submerge the tire fully or at minimum use soapy water around the bead on the front/back of the rim as well as the valve stem. The tire shop that did the install could have possibly sliced the rubber where it seals to the rim as well when they were initially stretching the tire over the rim.

Also, depending on how long you have owned those rims, I have seen corrosion build up on the inner lip of the rim itself where the bead sets. You then use a wire wheel to take off that corrosion so the bead can set fully so that no air can leak. You also want to make sure the inner lip of the tire is clean as well. As a last resort you can always have the shop wipe on bead sealer so that it would be extremely hard for any leak to occur.
    Not necessarily true, but yes in most cases that is the way to do it. They did this twice, even showed it to me in the bucket. No bubbles at all. They even sanded the inside of the wheel and put a sealer as well.

I took it home and before pulling into the garage, I walked out to inspect and heard hissing. I video taped where the air was coming out for proof to them. It was on the inside of the wheel.

Video Link Below:
    20171025_185222

That tire was replaced with no issues at all now. However, my other tire went out and I had to get it replaced. So far, no issue w/ the new tire.

And I had other tires on these wheels before, no issues whatsoever. Wheels are straight, they have been inspected. So therefore my thread. Strange..

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 STI - full suspension upgrade, Stage II+, 2015 M235 coupe
    Items for Sale

That is a baffling and frustrating soga....hopefully to be resolved after all of your efforts.

Active Member Two Rings The Machine's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow, pretty crazy. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Active Member Two Rings diggy79's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 CCSB D-max 2004 Suburban D-max swap 2000 RCSB 8.1L swap

Stems.. replace all the valve stems

Sent from my SM-G955W using Audizine mobile app
    2011 Audi S4 premium 6mt (stock)
    2018 VW Tiguan Highline 4motion 2.0TSI (stock)
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax- 10in Lift Custom WFO SAS on 18s with 37s
    2004 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4 D-max swap 6in Lift on 20s with 35s
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB 2wd w/ 8.1L 4l80E swap on 20s 285 55 R20 Goodyears
    2004 GMC Sierra 3500HD RCLB Duramax 4x4 Ugly duckling, winter beater.

New Project: 2004 Audi S4 B6 4.2L ->2.7T swap just starting

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Arn560 View Post
    Also check to see if your rim has a hairline fracture in it; That came as a shock to me when I found one!!!
    My vote is for this.