Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Bad power steering pulley or belt?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 98 AEB is having some squealing noise coming from the power steering/water pump V belt area. I did some testing with spraying water on the belt as you can see in the video below. When I put water on the belt, squealing goes away for few seconds and then it returns. I assume its a belt issue since noise is going away with water... any other comments?

Senior Member Three Rings Rodgman15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There's a belt dressing product that you can spray on to eliminate squeaks, or a belt is like $7 (not that cheap, but cheap). Replace that first before moving to the power steering pump. Sounds like a belt issue to me though. Power steering pumps have a different "whine" to them when they go bad.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgman15 View Post
    There's a belt dressing product that you can spray on to eliminate squeaks, or a belt is like $7 (not that cheap, but cheap). Replace that first before moving to the power steering pump. Sounds like a belt issue to me though. Power steering pumps have a different "whine" to them when they go bad.
    Okay, will try a belt conditioner and see how it goes.