Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8T Vanagon, KTM530, CB550

Please help Exhaust Cam seal oil leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iíve got a 2007 2.0 6mt with 130xxx.
    I had the intake cam replaced after a cam follower failure, but when I got the car back a oil leak started from behind the cam seal. I drove the car for 6 months then decided to fix a bunch of stuff including the leak. Iíve been struggling with this for over a month and need my car back on the road. Iíve had several techs help and nobody really seems to know whatís goin on.
    -Removed cam seal. Found Knicks on the taper that the seal slides up sanded then with 800 then 1500 grit hoping the new seal wouldnít tear upon instal. Still leaked.
    -Got a new seal, installed with tool hoping it had set wrong. Still leaked. Upon further inspection I found scoring around cam where the seal would fit.
    -Ordered new exhaust cam. Took meticulous detail and care removing all of the old sealant from the cam cradle and head. Installed new cam, cam seal, resealed cradle (all to spec) and valve cover gasket.
    Still leaks.
    - Iíve been told to try a different type of seal (has a spring to put pressure on the cam after instal). Iím pulling everything apart again tomorrow to try with this new seal.
    Has ANYBODY had this issue? I canít find anything about leaking cam seals. Does anyone have a better idea of where the leak could be coming from? I checked head and cradle for cracks after a thorough cleaning before cam install. It seems the oil is coming from the inside of the cam gear as it spins and works its way out until it puddles up.
    Iím so frustrated. Iíve been doing this every night for weeks. Iíve now tried 6 new seals, a new cam and pulled my timing belt at least 10 different times.
    Any help or input would be greatly appreciated
    Also. I realize it might. It look like much oil but thatís only after running for 15 min. After 6 months I had to detail my ENTIRE engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8T Vanagon, KTM530, CB550

Anybody??

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

bump

someone help this dude out

thanks

Established Member Three Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Unfortunately nothing any one of us can do without seeing this in person. I would guess it is a seal installation error or faulty seal. Even if the head or cam plate was warped, I don't see how the oil would flow down the camshaft like that unless it was sneaking past the seal....

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2006 Sline A4 Quattro 2.0T | JHM K04R | JHM Tuning | JHM HPFP Upgrade, S3 Injectors, RS4 Fuel Controller | R8 Ignition Coils | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE FMIC | Golf R Intake Camshaft | JHM Lightweight Crank Pulley | USP Test Pipe, Europaparts Catback w/ RS4 Tips | RS4 Front & Rear Brakes w/ JHM Rotors | Stern Adjustable UCAs | STX Coilovers | Miro 111s |