Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

What should I do?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I fortunately got an Audi A4 B5 1999 1.8T Quattro.

However, it has 436 000 kms (270 917 miles) on the car...

The history of the car is that it has a log book from Brand new to 200 000 kms (124274.238 miles) of services at the Audi dealership (where they did major services too). The 2nd owner was an Auto electrician in the mines and he flogged this thing for the rest of the km's... but he did regular maintenance etc. He got the car really cheap of the first owner who had the car in immaculate condition.

The 2nd owner didn't do anything major to it, just the oil and minor maintenance.

So far It needs the timing belt, water pump (the whole kit I'm assuming), flange gasket, CV joints and it will need a major service (piston rings, etc), It doesn't go into reverse easily either, has a difficult time starting a bit (drags out with turning over), It has some paint damage, all the buttons are sticking or are stuck in the aircon control unit... that's everything I've found out currently.

I don't have a lot of money, and I took the car over because I had no other mode of transport. The 2nd owner is a friend of a friend... he said I can have the car for the amount he paid for the tires.

Anyways, is it worth fixing up? I actually really love the car... really nice to drive, modern features (that has really surprised me how modern things are in it for 17 years old!). Turning is amazing, turbo is fun and the gear changing in the manual is so smooth. For me this is perfect for a daily driver with a bit of sport added to it!

I did some research and read that this isn't many km's for the car and it can go to 500k +? Is this accurate? If so it's definitely worth fixing up?

I don't want to put a whole heap of money into it just to find out something major like the crankshaft or a con rod is going to fail and then the engine is done for..... I know a bit about cars and would love to do repairs to it!

Thanks for your help

Veteran Member Four Rings GOODBYNAAIR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 1.8T black, 1973 MG midget 2008 GSX650F, 1993 SC SOLD :( , 2016 Jeep GC

If you got the time and skills/ tools to do the work yourself I say go for it. you will save a lot of money. If you don't and have to pay a shop then no. tbelt+ rings etc is going to be a few K with parts and labor. So you should go pick up a working B5 for less than a few K. Many people do run the cars well past 250k miles but as you see this means things need to be replace or kept up with. To sum it up, Its got to take some money and parts to get her running smooth again. With that being said its not a Honda so it will probably need more parts sooner than later. They are cool cars and can make great DD in stock forum but you just have to stay on top of things. Do you have Pics of the car whats the body like?

Here is a link for a good online parts store. fcpeuro Add up all the parts you need and see if that works for you or not. Gives you a realistic place to start.

cars with miles on them CLICKY

Good luck.
    Last edited by GOODBYNAAIR; 12-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.

AZ Member #

Thanks for the link to the parts store, I really appreciate that!

I have tools and time (my hex set I bought came in handy), I bought heaps of tools to fix my Hyundai Accent... unfortunately the Hyundai was too expensive to fix... needed a new cylinder head.... So because I was without a car, I thankfully got this Audi off a friend. HUGE upgrade!

I saw that thread before, that's crazy people run cars that high miles... I suppose it depends how well you maintain the car!

https://i.imgur.com/Jqfxm2N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1Glr75p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KjkMZqA.jpg

These are the pictures :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Needs a front bumper but other than that for over 250k body looks not to bad.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You usually won't see the 1.8T cars needing crankshafts or connecting rods. The bottom end is very strong and reliable. It is usually the top end that causes trouble. Lazy oil change schedule leads to low oil pressure which kills the cylinder head and/or turbocharger. Even then the bottom end is almost always fine. You just clean the oil pickup screen, throw another cylinder head on it and keep going.

What makes you think it needs piston rings? Do you have results of a compression or leak down test? In my opinion, if the rings are weak - you are better off to just drive it as-is, or swap in a lower mile engine. It is a lot of time and money to tear the engine down that far and with the amount of miles you have I don't think it would be worth that much work. Unless, of course, you really wanted to learn how to do it and had the means to get it done.

For the HVAC buttons:
    - Get a thin rag or paper towel
    - Soak in water with a little bit of soap.
    - Wring it out so it's not longer all drippy-like.
    - Throw it in the microwave for a few seconds so it is screaming hot.
    - Like, "I can barely touch this rag, it's so hot". Like that.
    - Then hold it firmly against the front of the HVAC buttons.
    - The goo is steamed out of the buttons, as if by magic.
    - With any luck, your hands will only sustain 1st or 2nd degree burns at most.

Also, +10 points because Australia.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings Avant Nate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi Allroad 6MT,1999 Yukon Denali, 1987 4Runner

Just do the t-belt and water pump and call it good. New axles are easier than cv joints. Fwiw, I have 230,000 on my 99 and beat the shit out of it daily boosting 25+. Ive had slightly low compression since I bought it at 160.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    You usually won't see the 1.8T cars needing crankshafts or connecting rods. The bottom end is very strong and reliable. It is usually the top end that causes trouble. Lazy oil change schedule leads to low oil pressure which kills the cylinder head and/or turbocharger. Even then the bottom end is almost always fine. You just clean the oil pickup screen, throw another cylinder head on it and keep going.

What makes you think it needs piston rings? Do you have results of a compression or leak down test? In my opinion, if the rings are weak - you are better off to just drive it as-is, or swap in a lower mile engine. It is a lot of time and money to tear the engine down that far and with the amount of miles you have I don't think it would be worth that much work. Unless, of course, you really wanted to learn how to do it and had the means to get it done.

For the HVAC buttons:
    - Get a thin rag or paper towel
    - Soak in water with a little bit of soap.
    - Wring it out so it's not longer all drippy-like.
    - Throw it in the microwave for a few seconds so it is screaming hot.
    - Like, "I can barely touch this rag, it's so hot". Like that.
    - Then hold it firmly against the front of the HVAC buttons.
    - The goo is steamed out of the buttons, as if by magic.
    - With any luck, your hands will only sustain 1st or 2nd degree burns at most.

Also, +10 points because Australia.
    Trying this now!! What a great idea! I thought you needed to do rings for a major service? If not I wont worry about it... I'll do a compression test to find out anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avant Nate View Post
    Just do the t-belt and water pump and call it good. New axles are easier than cv joints. Fwiw, I have 230,000 on my 99 and beat the shit out of it daily boosting 25+. Ive had slightly low compression since I bought it at 160.
    That's crazy! Then why did drive on youtube give these cars such a bad rep? I don't get it lol

Established Member Two Rings HumbleTurbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

238k on mine, pushes 16psi all day. I did the head and timing job a while back just because I figured it was due. Never had an issue, I'm glad you brought up about the piston rings, rods and bearings because I chose to pass on doing those parts, always nice to have so re-assurance that parts do well when you opt out of repairing them :) I also chose to re-build the turbo due to lots of shaft play, and if your mechanically inclined its work doing yourself, I paid 60 bucks for a rebuild kits off of rockauto.com and completed the job within a couple of hours, as opposed to buying a new turbo for buku dollars. Worth looking into if you plan on keeping the car for a while and your already tearing into the motor.

Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    The bottom end is very strong and reliable.
    Many laughs here walky. Many laughs.

OP, he is only talking stock turbo setups. Many a rod has been snapped looking for more power.
    "The American people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy, a naughty boy. I'm going to speak out for the citizens of my state who in the majority think that Bill Clinton is probably even a nasty, bad, naughty boy." Former Senator Idaho Senator Larry Craig, the man with a wide stance.

2001 A4 1.8TQMS Mods- GT2871R, Maestro, All things that are good.
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    Many laughs here walky. Many laughs.

OP, he is only talking stock turbo setups. Many a rod has been snapped looking for more power.
    Thanks for that. I'm only going to run it stock, it's my daily and mode of transport to work. It's fun enough stock for me! Maybe in the future when I get some more coin... I want to restore the car to as good as I can get it at maitenance! That's even with doing the aircon later down the track.

If I were to upgrade, I'd go with the tyres/suspension before turbo or anything... I don't want to blow it up haha

Atm, i'm just researching forum posts... trying to find the best oil etc!

Thanks

Senior Member Three Rings Rodgman15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by eca92 View Post
    Atm, i'm just researching forum posts... trying to find the best oil etc!

Thanks
    Rotella T6 FTW

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgman15 View Post
    Rotella T6 FTW
    This ^^^ its what i've been running for 5 years too.

or any other full syn known brand 5w40

Veteran Member Four Rings Avant Nate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi Allroad 6MT,1999 Yukon Denali, 1987 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgman15 View Post
    Rotella T6 FTW
    same here

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

T6 ftw indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    kwnk
    2001 1.8T ST Coilovers | 710N | Apikol snub mount
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kwnk View Post
    T6 ftw indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    agreed. Got turned onto t6 because of my TDI now i use it in my audis.
    2000 Avant A4 1.8 Tip
    2001 A4 1.8T 5spd
    2002 VW TDI 5spd

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jr. View Post
    agreed. Got turned onto t6 because of my TDI now i use it in my audis.
    Yeah its been great. I've been using it on all my B5's -- T6 has been running on my sedan since I got it at 137k mi -- its at 248k mi now

I sent a sample to blackstone labs back in 2013 and had good results. I used to change oil every 3-3.5k mi but now I typically change between 4-4.5kmi. Even if i stretch it to 5-5.5kmi I have no doubt the T6 performs well. I was trying dig up my old report but I cant find it. There are a bunch of lab reports here on AZ for it if you guys are curious.

This reminds me that I should send in another sample but from my Avant (its at 240k mi now)!

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

and to OP:
    @eca92: Give the B5 some TLC and it will treat you well! There's a ton of resources here on AZ (as you've already seen) and awesome B5 owners! Dont hesitate to ask for any help.

@walky -- That hot towel trick is the business!
    kwnk
    2001 1.8T ST Coilovers | 710N | Apikol snub mount
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kwnk View Post
    Yeah its been great. I've been using it on all my B5's -- T6 has been running on my sedan since I got it at 137k mi -- its at 248k mi now

I sent a sample to blackstone labs back in 2013 and had good results. I used to change oil every 3-3.5k mi but now I typically change between 4-4.5kmi. Even if i stretch it to 5-5.5kmi I have no doubt the T6 performs well. I was trying dig up my old report but I cant find it. There are a bunch of lab reports here on AZ for it if you guys are curious.

This reminds me that I should send in another sample but from my Avant (its at 240k mi now)!

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

and to OP:
    @eca92: Give the B5 some TLC and it will treat you well! There's a ton of resources here on AZ (as you've already seen) and awesome B5 owners! Dont hesitate to ask for any help.

@walky -- That hot towel trick is the business!
    Thanks kwnk, what a helpful forum! I'll buy some Rotella on pay day and i'll do that oil test. That's the one Chris Fix used a while a go!