Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings Universe's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Spilled coolant from temperature sensor - now what?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My car was throwing a code for the coolant temperature sensor, so I bought a replacement. I read a guide on audiworld and it said no coolant was lost while replacing the sensor. This wasn't quite the case for me and it looks like the reservoir completely drained out the hole for the sensor.

Now I'm not 100% on what to do. Can I just pop the new sensor in and fill up the coolant? Or is there going to be air in my system now? I could use some advice on getting my car back up and running

Veteran Member Three Rings Rodgman15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

First, this should have been posted In the main A4 thread, it'll get much more exposure.

Secondly, pop the sensor in, add coolant, bleed it, then drive it.

Depending on the year, the bleed hole should be on the heater core hoses going into the firewall at the back of the engine bay. Just pull it off so the hole is past the end of the fitting.

Or, I've heard of people having success just leaving the cap off long enough.

When you're going into an unknown job, read at least 2 diys to help reduce confusion. There's a lot of bullshit floating around.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Where is the main A4 thread? I didn't see one.

I actually read a guide and watched a video and neither drained their expansion tank.. not sure whats going on there.

But thanks for letting me know, I'll get the new sensor in and refill/bleed it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

He means under main subforums not under tech.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Veteran Member Four Rings vwblackb5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Spilled coolant from temperature sensor - now what?

Surprised you drained the coolant. There should be some drip when you take the CTS and the retaining clip out but not drain your line or expansion tank.

You sure you don’t have the plastic coolant flange below the CCT that’s cracked? Unless you hulked the removal and forgot to install the o-ring, there should be minimal coolant loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16 B8.5: S4 | Premium Plus | Ibis White | PNY | PPS | GH2 | 1BL | Black Nappa | CTS

99.5 B5: K04-015 / GIAC PC-16 / 315cc Genesis / Custom FMIC / 034 TP / TT Downpipe / Jetex Catback / Forge 007P / ECS AFPR @ 2.7Bar / ABD Tuning Intake / Blinktek Heatshield / Koni FSD / Eibach Pro Kit / SouthBend Stage 2 Endurance OFE HD / 312mm Slotted A8 BBK

AZ Member #

When I got the retaining clip out nothing happened, I pulled on it a little and the outer edge of the sensor was wet but I figured it was just some residual, once I actually lifted it out coolant just started pouring up and out. And the sensor is in such a cramped spot (v6) I couldn't hold it down to stop the coolant flow.

once the new sensor was in and it was filled up again everything seems to be running fine, I looked over the hoses/reservoir and couldn't find any leaks.

And my car once again will start when the engine is already warm, so thats very convenient. Thanks guys