Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ridiculous Service Experience - Can this be correct Audi ??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought a brand new but "leftover" 2017 SQ5 about 3 months ago, which now has 2700 miles on it. I am enjoying the vehicle very much and have no serious complaints. This is my first Audi.

I took it to the dealer last week to have all season tires mounted as it came with 21" wheels and summer tires.

While the vehicle was there the dealer called me to tell me I'm due for my first service. I say thats impossible as I only have 2700 miles. The service advisor then tells me the vehicle was actually officially prepped and first offered for sale over 12 months ago and Audi advises the first oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. So the oil had to be replaced.

At this point I repeat I've only had the car 3 months, and if the oil really went bad just sitting on the dealer's lot for 9 months or more they should have put fresh oil in, which would have been good for the 10,000 miles or the full year before the first free service that they told me about before I bought it. The advisor said thats not how it works and that Audi provides the first service free to get the break-in oil out of the motor, whenever that occurs according to their specifications. I once again argued they should not be selling me a $64,000 vehicle and telling me my first service is free after 10,000 miles or 1 year , and then 3 months later telling me the oil they sold me in the vehicle is actually no good because its already a year old.

The service advisor absolutely would not agree to see my point and so I went ahead and had to have the oil changed, using up my first free service.

In 40 years of buying over 30 new cars from almost every major manufacturer I've never been told any part of any maintenance schedule starts when the dealer placed the car on their lot for sale, rather than when the vehicle was first sold to the customer. That's a bit ridiculous. Audi clearly states the first service is 10,000 miles or 1 year "AFTER DELIVERY" - I just can't believe that really means delivery to the dealer and not the customer.

Just wondering . . . am I missing something here or is this just how it works with Audi ? If so, it seems pretty deceptive. In fact, on principle alone this may be my first and my last Audi. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Craig

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Damn, that's rough man. I get that oil can go bad due to sitting and collecting moisture, but 2700 miles? Really? That's ridiculous. Audi should prorate your service so you get a free service at the 10,000 mile mark or 9 months from the last service (whichever comes first)
    Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Established Member Two Rings delz05's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet, 93 Hatch

Clearly, that was a BS move by the dealer... they owe you a service!
    Family comes First!.... Nice cars a close second.

2017 SQ5 Ibis White, Black Optics P+ with Tech, Nappa, 21" wheels, MillTek exhaust, Chipwerks... more to come
    And for topless Summer fun... 2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet, Prestige (will be getting some Black Optics treatment, pullied and tuned)... doesn't get any better!

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by csf View Post
    I bought a brand new but "leftover" 2017 SQ5 about 3 months ago, which now has 2700 miles on it. I am enjoying the vehicle very much and have no serious complaints. This is my first Audi.

I took it to the dealer last week to have all season tires mounted as it came with 21" wheels and summer tires.

While the vehicle was there the dealer called me to tell me I'm due for my first service. I say thats impossible as I only have 2700 miles. The service advisor then tells me the vehicle was actually officially prepped and first offered for sale over 12 months ago and Audi advises the first oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. So the oil had to be replaced.

At this point I repeat I've only had the car 3 months, and if the oil really went bad just sitting on the dealer's lot for 9 months or more they should have put fresh oil in, which would have been good for the 10,000 miles or the full year before the first free service that they told me about before I bought it. The advisor said thats not how it works and that Audi provides the first service free to get the break-in oil out of the motor, whenever that occurs according to their specifications. I once again argued they should not be selling me a $64,000 vehicle and telling me my first service is free after 10,000 miles or 1 year , and then 3 months later telling me the oil they sold me in the vehicle is actually no good because its already a year old.

The service advisor absolutely would not agree to see my point and so I went ahead and had to have the oil changed, using up my first free service.

In 40 years of buying over 30 new cars from almost every major manufacturer I've never been told any part of any maintenance schedule starts when the dealer placed the car on their lot for sale, rather than when the vehicle was first sold to the customer. That's a bit ridiculous. Audi clearly states the first service is 10,000 miles or 1 year "AFTER DELIVERY" - I just can't believe that really means delivery to the dealer and not the customer.

Just wondering . . . am I missing something here or is this just how it works with Audi ? If so, it seems pretty deceptive. In fact, on principle alone this may be my first and my last Audi. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Craig
    Hello Craig,

Thank you for reaching out and making Audi of America aware of this particular situation. We can certainly understand and empathize with how this would seem at the very least strange for a vehicle you have owned for 3 months. You are correct, the first service is always complimentary after 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the original in-service date of the vehicle (commonly known as the warranty start date). If the vehicle was put in service several months before you took ownership of it that would mean the vehicle has effectively been "in-service" for the 1 year parameter. Even if the vehicle hasn't been driven extensively and still has relatively low mileage, the time parameter may have passed already passed.

The only way for me to verify this information is to check with the VIN, so if you are willing please feel free to send me a PM at any point with your VIN and contact information. I do apologize as I know this particular interaction must have been infuriating for you as you were just trying to swap out your tires. I'll look forward to your PM so I can look into this further and formally document your case here at AoA. Thank you.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager