Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Gutting the cat

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Gutting the cat

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8t, with a Eurodyne stage 1 tune with resonator delete and switched the mufflers to magnaflows.. anyways ever since I bought the car a year ago it has had a bad catalytic, so I decided yesterday to dig into taking out the cat and gutting it. (Yes I know itís not the most efficient way, and I should have gotten a test pipe) however Iím a college student and donít exactly have the most funds available at the time. With a lot of cutting of the stock downpipe I was finally able to remove the cat from the car (2 hours) lol. So now Iím onto the actual gutting of the catalytic and damn this is some hard stuff! I have put about 2 hours into hammering away and drilling. And Iím not even half way to the material being gone... Iíll keep going at it till itís finally out but damn people on YouTube make it look so easy 😅 eventually Iíll be putting on a test pipe or HFC but it just kept bothering me to see a CEL all time knowing it was my cat not doing its job plus restricting the air flow out of this fire breathing monster (sarcasm)

Veteran Member Four Rings BARRY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AE86 20v, UZZ30 LS2, 2002 A4 B6 1.8t, E63 AMG
    Items for Sale

i have one gutted somewhere. if you're in no rush and want to buy it off me lmk. driving a few times with a bad coil burned my cat cleanly through.
    2007 Mercedes E63 AMG - Nardo Grey, Pano, LTH X-Pipe, Res Del, ROW Box Mod, Programa ELM, UPD Arms
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t Q Avant - Maestro, 225TT Inj, TP, FMIC, Thermal R&D Exh, KW V3, BBK / Ferrodo DS2500
    1992 SC400 - LS2 6.0, LTH, Tomei 2-Way, KW V3, BattleVersion Arms
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S SOLD - 20 Valve, Haltech E8, Toda 272 8.5mm, Toda Cam Gears, Silkroad High Rise Headers, TRD 2-Way, TRD SS Race

Senior Member Three Rings thetikm's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

If you're looking for a cheap test pipe get the Manzo one off eBay. It's like $55, I've had one for almost two years and it fit perfectly and has held up really well. Just get some better quality gaskets and bolts.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY View Post
    i have one gutted somewhere. if you're in no rush and want to buy it off me lmk. driving a few times with a bad coil burned my cat cleanly through.
    Thanks, but there would be no need for me to do that and spend money. I already tore up into mine so might as well finish the job.

Senior Member Three Rings thetikm's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by B6 Turbo View Post
    Thanks, but there would be no need for me to do that and spend money. I already tore up into mine so might as well finish the job.
    I recently just gutted a cat on a mr2. Just keep at it. It'll come apart eventually.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thetikm View Post
    If you're looking for a cheap test pipe get the Manzo one off eBay. It's like $55, I've had one for almost two years and it fit perfectly and has held up really well. Just get some better quality gaskets and bolts.

Yeah I actually ordered a couple test pipes off of eBay because they are about 1/3 of a brand name which to me doesnít make sense why brand name cost so much when itís literally a piece of steel pipe.. But anyways I have had terrible luck with them, as fitment doesnít go well with my car since itís the Quattro model. Funny thing is both ďeBay dealersĒ I bought from gave me a hard time claiming that it didnít fit my Quattro trim when the ads clearly states they fit all models and trims.. so Iím sick of that and decided to just save some college money and gut it 😬

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yeah I actually ordered a couple test pipes off of eBay because they are about 1/3 of a brand name which to me doesnít make sense why brand name cost so much when itís literally a piece of steel pipe.. But anyways I have had terrible luck with them, as fitment doesnít go well with my car since itís the Quattro model. Funny thing is both ďeBay dealersĒ I bought from gave me a hard time claiming that it didnít fit my Quattro trim when the ads clearly states they fit all models and trims.. so Iím sick of that and decided to just save some college money and gut it 😬
    Cat and test pipe fitment doesn't have anything to do with FWD or Quattro. They are the same for both drivetrains.

You answered your own question in your post. The fitment is bad because it's cheap. Even though it's "just a steel pipe"

I've had the manzo ebay test pipe, 034 test pipe and currently run a 034 high flow cat.

The difference in quality between the 034 and ebay stuff is easy to see (you get what you pay for).
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
    Cat and test pipe fitment doesn't have anything to do with FWD or Quattro. They are the same for both drivetrains.

You answered your own question in your post. The fitment is bad because it's cheap. Even though it's "just a steel pipe"

I've had the manzo ebay test pipe, 034 test pipe and currently run a 034 high flow cat.

The difference in quality between the 034 and ebay stuff is easy to see (you get what you pay for).
    Hmmm, yeah i see what you are saying lol. The o2 sensor bungs were the only fitment issue for me. I donít know how to weld so that little thing was my problem lol

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Iíve spent quite some time on trying to gutt the cat, and I have only scratched the surface. Are there any tips and tricks you guys have?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did this when mine was starting to get clogged up and cause my car to sputter and want to die due to the lack of exhaust flow.

Took my cat out and cut it open on one of the sides. Made a decent rectangle and simply removed the loose chunk of "honeycomb" for the section closer to the turbo my air hammer made short work of it (punch and large hammer will work) weld the rectangle piece back in place and bobs your uncle!

I know not everyone has a welder or air tools but that's how i did it.
    Did not want to put more money into the car for something like a test pipe at the age of he car.
    02 B6 1.8T 5spd Brilliant Black, Gutted Stock Cat, 2.5" stainless custom exhaust to 4 inch tips no res no muffler,[I]
    Blacked out Front and Rear lower Valance, Front Head Light Clear Corner Mod, REVO Stage 1, Solo Werks S1 Coilovers
    Cold Air Intake Custom Piped, Forge Hybrid Diverter Valve, 3M Wrapped Carbon fiber interior trim, PCV/AC Delete Starting to fight rust

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado

Iíve spent quite some time on trying to gutt the cat, and I have only scratched the surface. Are there any tips and tricks you guys have?
    Buy a testpipe..

They are cheap. Time is money, and if youre spending hours gutting your cat its not costing you any less in the long run.
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex rear diff bushing, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

long steel bar and lump hammer and time , I know people say it wont make a difference , but when I done mine , it was like I had bolted on a new engine , that's how stuffed the cat was !.

AZ Member #

^ Like Jim said. I used a piece of rebar and a seven pound sledgehammer. I bashed that crap out in about five minutes. Mine was melted into what looked like volcanic rock too.

In the future keep in mind used cats are worth cash due to the precious metals in them. You could have sold that sucker and bought a Manzo pipe with the proceeds...

AZ Member #

took me around 2 hours to do. Not worth spending money on a test pipe and paying for shipping around here.
    02 B6 1.8T 5spd Brilliant Black, Gutted Stock Cat, 2.5" stainless custom exhaust to 4 inch tips no res no muffler,[I]
    Blacked out Front and Rear lower Valance, Front Head Light Clear Corner Mod, REVO Stage 1, Solo Werks S1 Coilovers
    Cold Air Intake Custom Piped, Forge Hybrid Diverter Valve, 3M Wrapped Carbon fiber interior trim, PCV/AC Delete Starting to fight rust

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So I gave up on gutting the cat, and bought a test pipe. And damn what a difference!! Like I didnít think it would be that noticeable! But anyways the cat was extremely clogged I drilled many holes through them, and just gave up on gutting it, tried using a sledgehammer and everything just wouldnít come out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

glad to hear you got it all sorted out.