Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

View Poll Results: Which Rotors are you using?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam's Rotors ie slotted, double slotted etc.

1 10.00%
  • ECS Tuning Slotted Geomet Coated

0 0%
  • StopTech Slotted Rotors

1 10.00%
  • PowerStop Slotted Rotors

1 10.00%
  • Audi OEM

5 50.00%
  • Zimmerman OE

2 20.00%
  • Brembo OE

0 0%
  • Other.

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Which Rotors to get, Looking for Comparison and Reviews for 3.0T Q5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm looking at replacing my Pads and Rotors but I'm looking for input from other peoples past experiences. Looking for better stopping power, without upgrade to Big Brake Kit. Already purchased and awaiting install for Stop-Tech Stainless Steel Brake line kit.

This would be for the Q5 3.0T which would be running the 345mm and 330 OEM Ceramic Pads/Rotors

1. Adam's Rotors, ie slotted, double slotted, etc
    2. ECS Tuning. Slotted Geomet Coated
    3. StopTech slotted Rotors
    4. PowerStop Slotted Rotors,
    5. Audi OEM
    6. Zimmerman OE
    7. Brembo OE

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you sure "better stopping power" is what you are looking for? Are you tracking the car? I say this because the stock braking system is more than adequate to lockup the wheels and cause the ABS to trigger. You just need to push the pedal down a little further (it's assisted brake pedal so this is easy). There is no advantage in stopping power compared to OEM from any aftermarket setup. All should be capable of locking up the wheels.

Now practical differences:
    1) For track, certain aftermarket setups will stand up to repeated and aggressive use of the brakes whereas the OEM setup will overheat and fade because it is not designed for track.
    2) More aggressive pads and rotors may cause the wheel lockup to happen sooner, but the OEM setup still locks up the wheels.
    3) OEM pads are dusty. Switch to ceramic pads to prevent brake dust buildup on the wheels.

With that said, feel free to just go for appearance (slots, drilled etc) unless you are tracking it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

To give you an example I'm a bit unimpressed with the braking performance of current OE. Ive had all the TSB's completed by Audi and they switched to ceramic pads. To me it just feels "Mushy" where you have to really stomp on it for it to stop short. The loaner's Ive had from the dealer have night and day differences on brakes. Which could lead to there is some other issues the dealer can not find/address. I just purchased the stainless steel lines to "Help with the feel" with living in the city I would rather have something which is able to stop on a dime and react quicker vs current have to stomp on the pedal to get it to stop quickly with current OE setup.

I'm currently running at just under 3mm on the front and now 4mm on the rear.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Adam@SPP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D4 A8l/Street Glide Special

we don't compare ourselves to off the shelf brands as we're fully made to order, here in California.

we've been growing strong for over 11 years & our brand is very respected amongst Audi/VW drivers let alone the automotive industry...
    have a quick search for our ongoing threads or just google us...you'll see we're unlike any company out there, the listed above or alike, be it quality, service, or options.

more on the latter in short, we’re a truly customizable company. we don’t have just 1-3 pattern options to choose from, rather 17+ designs we cut to request, 3 zinc finishes, and 5 hub coatings.
    our pricing is also all-inclusive and includes your choice machine pattern, complimentary silver zinc dip, AND shipping within the US.

keep in mind, slotting dissipates heat, helps avoid glazing, and adds bite...
    drilling/dimpling do nothing but look good with new-age pads, as they no longer create the gasses they were once used to help disperse.
    thus, we've focused most of our exclusive patterns around slotting (our double slotting specifically, which we're known for, was designed & tested in many track & endurance race scenarios) to not only keep your brakes cooler when put to the test, but look good with unique, customizable ways of implementing them on factory spec rotors.

we urge you to read more about AR, what we do, and how we do it here: www.adamsrotors.com/info
    you'll also notice some very helpful/informative frequently asked questions listed too!
    adam | adam's rotors inc. | info@adamsrotors.com | est. 2006
    customizable factory-fit brake rotors, made-to-order | adamsrotors.com
    follow/like/@/tag @adamsrotors on twitter, instagram, & facebook | #adamsrotors

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Adam@SPP View Post
    we don't compare ourselves to off the shelf brands as we're fully made to order, here in California.

we've been growing strong for over 11 years & our brand is very respected amongst Audi/VW drivers let alone the automotive industry...
    have a quick search for our ongoing threads or just google us...you'll see we're unlike any company out there, the listed above or alike, be it quality, service, or options.

more on the latter in short, we’re a truly customizable company. we don’t have just 1-3 pattern options to choose from, rather 17+ designs we cut to request, 3 zinc finishes, and 5 hub coatings.
    our pricing is also all-inclusive and includes your choice machine pattern, complimentary silver zinc dip, AND shipping within the US.

keep in mind, slotting dissipates heat, helps avoid glazing, and adds bite...
    drilling/dimpling do nothing but look good with new-age pads, as they no longer create the gasses they were once used to help disperse.
    thus, we've focused most of our exclusive patterns around slotting (our double slotting specifically, which we're known for, was designed & tested in many track & endurance race scenarios) to not only keep your brakes cooler when put to the test, but look good with unique, customizable ways of implementing them on factory spec rotors.

we urge you to read more about AR, what we do, and how we do it here: www.adamsrotors.com/info
    you'll also notice some very helpful/informative frequently asked questions listed too!

How does this help the OP at all? I get you're trying to boost sales but come on man...help before posting an ad in the middle of a help thread...Not just trying to get people to buy stuff they do not need.

You don't compare yourselves to off the shelf? . How does that help anything OP wants to know? If anything, tell us if you have Q5 buyers who put on your equipment in someway shape or form, and have said it actually feels better than OEM. Then let him know exactly what setup they ran, so he can cash-in too,

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^ really man? what are you talking about? he posted a list of brands and I chimed in, since we're on the list...

it entirely helps. our machining has benefits along with a reason to order in general...customization for the enthusiast.
    we're not like anyone, we have options noone does, we have performance oriented design and killer looks too.
    my response was not only informative but genuine.

step back. chill out on the defense and maybe appreciate the owner of the company actually reading and taking time to interact and help out with members here.
    my reponse is factual and honest...we're proud audizine where this very company was birthed.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm really looking for User reviews whom actually put equipment on vs company. ie which Rotors which pads etc.

Thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage

no doubt, but thought you'd also appreciate our service and personal effort in a response with some info few share about machined rotors...it's no sales pitch.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

just go OEM or Adams to help a small business out.

I'd personally spend the cash and get a front BBK, but that's me

AZ Member #

Stainless steel lines,new fluid,slotted rotors, good pads go a long way. This is the route i went and it improves the pedal feel

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mark00s4 View Post
    Stainless steel lines,new fluid,slotted rotors, good pads go a long way. This is the route i went and it improves the pedal feel
    Which pads and rotors did you go with?

AZ Member #

I went with stop tech slotted rotors,and stop tech ceramic pads

Senior Member Four Rings q5 dave's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm running adams rotors (double slot/dimple) with ebc red stuff pads. Only difference I notice is it's more of a progressive feel. Not as strong initial bite like the OEM setup. Haven't experienced brake fade.
    2013 Q5 3.0T Phantom Black
    2013 A8L 4.0T Phantom Black

IG @q5ds

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Bump any suggestions?

AZ Member #

Just put on EBC sport rotors and stoptech street pads, bed them and for the first couple hundred miles they're pretty nice, time will tell but so far I like the combo. The stoptech pads seem to be doing ok with the less surface area of the dimpled slotted rotors ebc rotors. On my other vehicles I've used stoptech slotted and have been really happy with them along with hps 5.0, hps and (stoptech sport these dust like crazy but they really stop) pads.
    '13 Audi Q5 3.0 APR V4 100oct Fluidampr 179/57.75 AWE touring W/DP P3 VIDI Bilstein B12 Pro (APR CF inlet pipe/AFe Pro-5R) AWE reservoir
    '12 Golf R APR S2 LC/NLS HPFP(iABED RCF) IC, UM Haldex, Milltek TBE, Southbend SMF daily stg 2, VWR Intake, Fluidampr, Flip RVC, PSS10, PolarFis
    '08 R32 UM ECU/DSG, Schrick 268/264,Milltek Headers/HFC, APR catback, HPA intake, KW V3, RNS 315 Flip RVC, PolarFis
    '02 MDX - Need something to haul the junk