Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

seeking an alternative to sirius radio

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    i enjoy their music and the price is right, $30. every 6 months. but the customer service is the lowest of the low.
    im getting weary of playing their game and having to dance with them every 6 months.

i was on the edge and this week they pushed me off. purchased the audi a few months ago and had a trial period of xm radio.
    i froze my account to run out the trail. recently noticed i wasnt getting some channels, but a screen message advising me to to call to subscribe for them.

when i did they told me there are two radio platforms sirius and xm,and my audi radio wasnt set up to recieve the premium channels. i told them i find that hard to believe.
    they tell me i have two options i could pay more money to get more stations. or they would send me a radio with an adapter i plug into my car to get the stations.

i told them neither one is acceptable. if my radio isnt set up to get all stations how can i get them if i pay more money. i told them forget those stations because im not paying more ,instead lower my bill.
    im not gonna pay the same rate if you reduced my stations. they then told me they would give them to me no charge. i have to break away, because i aint got time for that or them.

not looking to store a music library or playlist. looking for a radio format like i currently have ,that throws random selections at me of the genres of music i select.
    also if possible not interested in anything thats consumes phone data. if thats not possible il consider it.

Veteran Member Four Rings IanCH's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I find satellite radio to be just jarring in how bad it sounds, so I will never even consider it.

It's very confusing that you would drive a premium luxury sedan and be worried about cell phone data usage.

I use google play music - the radio stations are excellent, you get almost all music in the world available, and can store as much music as you like offline. The sound quality is excellent, and best of all its dirt cheap if you are on a family plan with multiple users.
    Daily Car 2018 S5 SB - P+ - Nav - Sport - Stock (For Now)
    Sometimes Car 2015 Golf R - DCC - DSG - Oryx White Pearl - APR Stg II+ 93 (HT) - APR TCU - APR DP - Unitronic IC - AFe Stg2 Intake

SOLD 2011 S4 - Prestige - Dipped Royal Blue Pearl

"I'm the one person on Audizine who cares about engineering." - westwest888

Active Member Two Rings adamo99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    It's very confusing that you would drive a premium luxury sedan and be worried about cell phone data usage.
    I don't know where either of you guys are located (can't see the location on mobile app), but not all geographies have reasonable mobile data plans.

I'm in Canada, and for a tier one provider (Bell/Telus/Rogers) to ensure sufficient coverage, an unlimited domestic calling plan with 4Gbs of data can easily run into the $75/month range, and then some. When you factor in surcharges for data usage, it can very easily exceed $100-120/month.

We don't all get the everything unlimited for $40/month that the US and most Europeans get.

I'm trying Freedom Mobile now, and for $50 they offer unlimited nationwide calling and 8Gb of data, but their home network only covers a few major metropolitan centres, with coverage being spotty at best, and painfully slow regardless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post

I find it equally weird that you would not care. Being smart with where your money goes is what allows people to afford nice things. Or something even nicer for the same amount of money. Maybe you could have something nicer than an '18 S5 by cutting out all of the bs payments in your life. Although '18 S5 is quite nice :)

Aside from that, most of these cell providers and Sirius etc are criminal and predatory in their business practices. Do not enable them by paying every fee they throw at you. Do not just hand out your money just because you can "afford" it. Scrutinize, because the corporate world sucks.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ian im not worried...i stated i preferred not to go that route if i had a choice...if not id consider
    why would you even care about that...try to stay on point...the question was what music service is a good alternative, instead we are now discussing data usage.
    can you give some more info on google play. i mentioned i dont want to store music, so it might not be for me.

premium luxury sedan.....my neighbor told me its made by volkswagen and only a step above.
    i told him its also made by porsche and only a step below....its all subjective and trivial.

Veteran Member Four Rings IanCH's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well I said it because you have to use data to get a good music service, theres no getting around it nowadays.

Google play music has excellent radio stations and very good music quality. I like it a lot compared to other options out there today. Best for you to give it a shot and if you need better radio stations try another service.
    Daily Car 2018 S5 SB - P+ - Nav - Sport - Stock (For Now)
    Sometimes Car 2015 Golf R - DCC - DSG - Oryx White Pearl - APR Stg II+ 93 (HT) - APR TCU - APR DP - Unitronic IC - AFe Stg2 Intake

SOLD 2011 S4 - Prestige - Dipped Royal Blue Pearl

"I'm the one person on Audizine who cares about engineering." - westwest888

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

"Well I said it because you have to use data to get a good music service, theres no getting around it nowadays.'....now thats good info...im learning as i go...thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings Brooklyn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have Sirius and maintain it across two cars mainly because of sports, but frankly, I find myself leaning towards canceling it as well. The audio quality doesn't bother me all that much, but what does grate me is the repetitiveness of the programming. You have a couple of options, but it could get pricey. For me, the best combo would be a combination of MLB-At-Bat app (I follow my Yankees year round), with both Pandora, Apple Music, and the NBCSports App (which I get as part of my cable subscription). NBC allows me to listen to EPL Football games live (I follow Manchester United), and F1. Those two apps take care of the majority of my sports listening. Apple Music and Pandora pretty much cover all of my music genres and have a radio-station like feel to them (i.e., random music). Pandora can start to get repetitive depending on the genre. The music apps are cheap, but if you don't already subscribe to MLB (I do), that's $100 and change annually. I don't see how you get around the data consumption outside of Sirius.
    l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: l 2013 C7 A6 3.0t l B8 S4 6MT l B6 S4 6MT l B6 A4 3.0 6MT l B5 Passat 1.8t 6MT l