Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings ginch's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Rotor replacement

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So recently picked up my new to me 2008 RS4. It has 83,000 km's on it and I believe the original rotors. They are pretty grooved and are squeeling quite badly so I guess its time for a brake job soon. Looking at all my options with respect to changing out the brakes. ECS seems to be pretty well priced but haven't heard too much from others running them. Had JHM lw rotors on my previous RS4 and found they warped pretty quickly so I replaced them with OEM rotors. Also getting a quote on Girodisc rotors from a local performance shop here in Calgary but they look as though they would be the same price as OEM. What are you all running and can you give me your opinions please? Also, I don't want to replace the pads with OEM as they are very dusty. Thoughts on low dust street pads also please!

Regards,

Derek
    2008 Avus silver RS4
    1996 993 C4S
    2007 FJ cruiser, 6 speed, Wife's daily!

Gone
    2016 Reflex silver Golf R, 6 speed
    2008 Phantom black RS4
    B7 S4 Avant
    1993 964 C2
    2004 Reflex silver .:R32

Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin

There are plenty of low dust pads out there, but you're going to he sacrificing performance. If you want low dust pads, I suspect you're not looking too be a street hoon- definitely stay away from LW rotors, they will be overly expensive for what you're looking for. Something like the EBC red stuff might be a good solution. Make sure you look at the rotor material as well as the pad material to better understand how they will wear together (life of rotor). Also take into consideration the climate, and how long you may need to wait for pads to warm up to get maximum breaking performance, etc.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím running OEM Rotors at the moment but purchased a brand new set of Brembo Rotors for when the replacement is due. Read good reviews about it and got them from a shop locally in Ontario, Canada. PM me if you want more details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ginch View Post
    So recently picked up my new to me 2008 RS4. It has 83,000 km's on it and I believe the original rotors. They are pretty grooved and are squeeling quite badly so I guess its time for a brake job soon. Looking at all my options with respect to changing out the brakes. ECS seems to be pretty well priced but haven't heard too much from others running them. Had JHM lw rotors on my previous RS4 and found they warped pretty quickly so I replaced them with OEM rotors. Also getting a quote on Girodisc rotors from a local performance shop here in Calgary but they look as though they would be the same price as OEM. What are you all running and can you give me your opinions please? Also, I don't want to replace the pads with OEM as they are very dusty. Thoughts on low dust street pads also please!

Regards,

Derek
    OEM fronts from Amazon, OEM rears from the cheapest source you can find.
    Garage:
    3.0L TDI Fleet

Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

AZ Member #

If you're changing rotors I would encourage you to get two-part rotors for the front (the StopTech for example). It's about the same price as the OEM rotors, but the next time you have to change your rotors you'll only need to buy the rotor rings, which are about half the price.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi S4, 2008 Audi RS4 Ti

amazon- $330.82/ea (s&h included)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A22LWEMCXESXCG

eBay- $591.95 / pr (s&h included)
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352009970477

Veteran Member Four Rings jareds941's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rs4max View Post
    If you're changing rotors I would encourage you to get two-part rotors for the front (the StopTech for example). It's about the same price as the OEM rotors, but the next time you have to change your rotors you'll only need to buy the rotor rings, which are about half the price.
    This.
    Mine: 2014 Glacier White S4
    Hers: 2016 Daytona Gray SQ5

Previous:
    2014 Glacier White SQ5
    2008 Daytona RS4

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus
    Items for Sale

I am running Girodisc's and their S/S pads and couldn't be happier. Braking performance is greatly improved over OEM and have stood up well for the past year I've had them. No complaints whatsoever. You can also get the rotor rings and use the original Girodisc hubs (like the stoptech's mentioned above). I've had bad luck with ECS tuning rotors in the past (albiet, on a BMW), so I only see a few options: Stoptech Aerorotors, Brembo OE (fronts only), and Girodiscs. Have had no experience with JHM.

My review of Girodiscs can be found here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-S-pads-Review
    2007 Audi RS4 - Daytona Grey - OEM+

2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus - Monsoon Grey - EPL Stage 2

Veteran Member Three Rings ginch's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So ECS sells their rotors, OEM and Brembo. The brembo rotors are substantially cheaper than OEM. I thought the OEM rotors were made by brembo so I'm guessing they are the same units. They look the same in the pictures. Any thoughts?

Derek
    2008 Avus silver RS4
    1996 993 C4S
    2007 FJ cruiser, 6 speed, Wife's daily!

Gone
    2016 Reflex silver Golf R, 6 speed
    2008 Phantom black RS4
    B7 S4 Avant
    1993 964 C2
    2004 Reflex silver .:R32

AZ Member #

So ECS sells their rotors, OEM and Brembo. The brembo rotors are substantially cheaper than OEM. I thought the OEM rotors were made by brembo so I'm guessing they are the same units. They look the same in the pictures. Any thoughts?

Derek
    I bought the Brembo front rotors a few months ago. They look identical to the OEM units they replaced. There even was a small Audi logo, either on the box or on the rotors themselves. I got mine from Amazon and they were much cheaper there than going through ECS.

Incidentally you cannot trust the pictures on the ECS website. There are pictures there that ECS knows are wrong and they still don't take the pictures down.

Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Derek
    OEM rotors are Brembo. Use Amazon rather than ECS - much cheaper.
    Garage:
    3.0L TDI Fleet

Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1