Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings Jkyaudi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    117487
    Location
    Potomac, MD

    2017 Q7 Brake squeal...dealer wont touch to fix!!

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Bought my Q7 new May 2016. I have been living with the brake squeal for the last 10k miles. It happens in reverse. Took to dealer multiple times only to be told they won’t even work on it Bc there’s a “bulletin” out on it and can’t do anything.

    This is my 3rd Audi and have another on order. Slowing losing confidence as something like brake squeal is an issue this hard and long to address. It’s a real head turner when my Q7 slows in reverse.

    Would appreciate some productive response and solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2013 S4 Phantom Black|6mt|EuroCode AluKreuz|Lumen® LED White Fog Lights|Lumen® LED Trunk Light|EuroCode SS|Plastidipped Grille & Dash Surround|

  2. #2
    Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    396205
    Location
    Auburn Hills, MI

    Quote Originally Posted by Jkyaudi View Post
    Bought my Q7 new May 2016. I have been living with the brake squeal for the last 10k miles. It happens in reverse. Took to dealer multiple times only to be told they won’t even work on it Bc there’s a “bulletin” out on it and can’t do anything.

    This is my 3rd Audi and have another on order. Slowing losing confidence as something like brake squeal is an issue this hard and long to address. It’s a real head turner when my Q7 slows in reverse.

    Would appreciate some productive response and solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Hello,

    Thank you for reaching out and making us aware of the current situation with your 2017 Audi Q7. If you are able to send me a PM with your VIN, email address, preferred dealership, & best phone number we can research this matter further for you. There is currently a pending service solution issued for certain Q7s with brake sound, however we will need additional information to verify that this is the case. I look forward to hearing back from you and providing whatever assistance we are able to.

    Regards,
    Vincenzo F.

    Audi Social Community Manager

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings Jkyaudi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    117487
    Location
    Potomac, MD

    Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello,

    Thank you for reaching out and making us aware of the current situation with your 2017 Audi Q7. If you are able to send me a PM with your VIN, email address, preferred dealership, & best phone number we can research this matter further for you. There is currently a pending service solution issued for certain Q7s with brake sound, however we will need additional information to verify that this is the case. I look forward to hearing back from you and providing whatever assistance we are able to.

    Regards,
    PM’d you the info. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2013 S4 Phantom Black|6mt|EuroCode AluKreuz|Lumen® LED White Fog Lights|Lumen® LED Trunk Light|EuroCode SS|Plastidipped Grille & Dash Surround|

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    404450
    Location
    Atlanta

    Just curious where this netted out for you.

  5. #5
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Dec 29 2017
    AZ Member #
    411730
    Location
    Weston, MA

    I am a repeat Audi owner, on my 3rd S4. Last year convinced my wife to switch from Lexus to Audi and she got the Q7. The squealing problem began over a year ago. Brought it to the dealer who said "Audi was aware of the problem and working on a solution". Have raised the issue several times with the dealer but no relief so contacted Audi USA about a month or so ago. Was told Audi engineering was aware and working on the problem. Given that I had raised it over a year ago and was told then that Audi was aware of the problem, not sure why it has not been solved (or whether it will be solved) nor why Audi has not reached out from customer service perspective. Very disappointing and frustrating. From a longtime Audi owner, for first time am considering that my next car will not be an Audi and can no longer recommend Audi to friends. Biggest issue is not that there is a problem - these things happen. But Audi's response, or more accurately, lack thereof is what is most annoying.

  6. #6
    Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    396205
    Location
    Auburn Hills, MI

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoneyman View Post
    I am a repeat Audi owner, on my 3rd S4. Last year convinced my wife to switch from Lexus to Audi and she got the Q7. The squealing problem began over a year ago. Brought it to the dealer who said "Audi was aware of the problem and working on a solution". Have raised the issue several times with the dealer but no relief so contacted Audi USA about a month or so ago. Was told Audi engineering was aware and working on the problem. Given that I had raised it over a year ago and was told then that Audi was aware of the problem, not sure why it has not been solved (or whether it will be solved) nor why Audi has not reached out from customer service perspective. Very disappointing and frustrating. From a longtime Audi owner, for first time am considering that my next car will not be an Audi and can no longer recommend Audi to friends. Biggest issue is not that there is a problem - these things happen. But Audi's response, or more accurately, lack thereof is what is most annoying.
    Hello,

    Thank you for your comments and for providing your feedback. As a loyal customer such as yourself we appreciate bringing issues such as this to our attention so we are able to prioritize solutions as quickly as possible. I can let you know from my vantage point, this is an issue that the leadership teams here at AoA and Audi AG are well aware of, and a solution is forthcoming. When a new brake solution is introduced, copious amounts of testing and quality control checks must take place before the solution is able to be introduced into the market. This is the primary reason for the delay that you speak of and the general lack of available information on the topic. I can let you know that when this solution becomes available we will notify our dealer partners immediately who will in turn notify you. Please let me know if you have any questions and again thank you for your patience in this matter.
    Vincenzo F.

    Audi Social Community Manager

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    12611
    Location
    Naperville
    Items for Sale

    Hopefully a solution is discovered soon. The sound that our brakes make is awful! I feel horrible for my neighbors and my coworkers that have to deal with it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Two Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56400
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Location
    Point Pleasant NJ
    Items for Sale

    has anyone ever noticed how loud race car brakes squeal??? It's so damn annoying but boy do they slow down quickly when you step on the pedal. "scratches head" Hmmmmm...

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Anyone watch The Grand Tour last week? Clarkson reviewed the TTRS and said he's tested 3 and would never buy one due to the brake squeal.
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings wam22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2017
    AZ Member #
    393933
    Location
    chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Anyone watch The Grand Tour last week? Clarkson reviewed the TTRS and said he's tested 3 and would never buy one due to the brake squeal.
    Probably because they have carbon ceramic brakes. That is a known issue for any brand since they take a while to warm up and even then they still might squeal. I drove an aston martin vantage a few months ago and it the brakes would scream when coming to a stop.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by wam22 View Post
    Probably because they have carbon ceramic brakes. That is a known issue for any brand since they take a while to warm up and even then they still might squeal. I drove an aston martin vantage a few months ago and it the brakes would scream when coming to a stop.
    It may have, but I can tell you my A4 doesn't have Ceramic and it makes the same noise as soon as it drops below 50
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 05 2010
    AZ Member #
    62317
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)
    Location
    Central IL

    You may have already tried it but have you performed a full bedding process? Although it is best to perform when brakes are brand new, I understand that it does provide results and can be done at anytime afterwards.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19” peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods | Autostyle Mats

  13. #13
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 19 2016
    AZ Member #
    373529
    Location
    Florida

    Have a 2017 Q7 and it making that same squealing sound in reverse. Audi needs to get on top of this problem. First and maybe last Audi for me.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 13 2016
    AZ Member #
    378395
    Location
    Philly

    I have the same issue with my 2015 S3. When it's cold the brakes make horrible noise I would say the first 5 - 10 mins of slow driving. Pulling out of work driving a 25 mph road everyone looks. Even when leaving the supermarket people look. It's embarrassing. I mentioned this before but people say it's a normal problem for Audi. Never happened on my 01 TT years ago when I had that.

    People mentions it's the brake drying feature or something as well. Or said try swapping out the pads.
    :: 2015 S3 ::
    Glacier White - Mag Ride - OEM Res delete

  15. #15
    Senior Member Two Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56400
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Location
    Point Pleasant NJ
    Items for Sale

    oh my god you are people really complaining about this. Threatening to leave the audi brand for such brake noises?. Embarrassed? LMFAOOOOOOOOOO.. You are obviously not here for the right reasons. Have you ever had to actually stop quick to avoid an accident or utilize the performance audi brings in the true event of a life threatening situation. I guess not. I like to know my family is safe and has the absolute best performance and safety of any car manufacturer in the world. Please go buy a lexus or something. UnF**CKING believable. LOL..

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by joe@dubaudi.com View Post
    oh my god you are people really complaining about this. Threatening to leave the audi brand for such brake noises?. Embarrassed? LMFAOOOOOOOOOO.. You are obviously not here for the right reasons. Have you ever had to actually stop quick to avoid an accident or utilize the performance audi brings in the true event of a life threatening situation. I guess not. I like to know my family is safe and has the absolute best performance and safety of any car manufacturer in the world. Please go buy a lexus or something. UnF**CKING believable. LOL..
    It's a joke, the brakes should not cry every time I step on them when it's below 50. It drives you insane and it's embarrassing. Knowing that we're not the only ones experiencing this makes it worst. They know it's a problem, fix it. Listen the brakes are very good, but the noise? Well the noise it screams, if you like attention in the cold, Audi is the brand for you!!

    PS Lexus breaks are garbage....
    Last edited by AUDIMAN33; 01-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  17. #17
    Senior Member Three Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 30 2014
    AZ Member #
    260490
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Anyone watch The Grand Tour last week? Clarkson reviewed the TTRS and said he's tested 3 and would never buy one due to the brake squeal.
    I havent really followed those guys for a while but now I want to watch that one. I remember when Clarkson reviewed the first TT and how he was spending an hour trying to figure out what to wear to drive it. Very funny.
    Current: 2013 A4 | Past: 2010 A4

  18. #18
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2015
    AZ Member #
    339878
    Location
    NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    It's a joke, the breaks should not cry every time I step on them when it's below 50. It drives you insane and it's embarrassing. Knowing that we're not the only ones experiencing this makes it worst. They know it's a problem, fix it. Listen the breaks are very good, but the noise? Well the noise it screams, if you like attention in the cold, Audi is the brand for you!!

    PS Lexus breaks are garbage....
    Hard to make an argument when your spelling diminishes your intelligence. They are BRAKES.

    For the record, anyone complaining about brake squeal need to bed pads and use the brakes properly. I've never and I mean never had a brake squeal issue on a car in 30 years of driving.
    The only thing that will fix your issue is a really crappy brake pad that will have poor stopping ability.

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by timzcat View Post
    Hard to make an argument when your spelling diminishes your intelligence. They are BRAKES.

    For the record, anyone complaining about brake squeal need to bed pads and use the brakes properly. I've never and I mean never had a brake squeal issue on a car in 30 years of driving.
    The only thing that will fix your issue is a really crappy brake pad that will have poor stopping ability.
    Spell check on my iphone in the web browser, not the app. my bad.

    I guess you haven't had a new Audi in the past 30 years....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by audrobotic View Post
    I havent really followed those guys for a while but now I want to watch that one. I remember when Clarkson reviewed the first TT and how he was spending an hour trying to figure out what to wear to drive it. Very funny.
    The show is basically top gear again!
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ

    Porsche throwing shade in this educational video.
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  21. #21
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 07 2010
    AZ Member #
    57312
    My Garage
    2015 VW Sportwagen Diesel
    Location
    Southington, CT

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ

    Porsche throwing shade in this educational video.
    ^This. High performance brakes (not breaks) can squeal. It can be annoying but it is not a safety issue. The Porsche video is very instructional. Sometimes brake squeal can be alleviated by adding some lubricant between the pads and the caliper pistons, that does not always eliminate the noise but it is worth a try. Some pads come with a thin “anti-squeal” shim/pad which has to be installed properly.
    If you really do not like the squeal you can try switching to aftermarket pads made from a different material but this is a trial and error proposition and unless you do it your self can be quite expensive.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.