Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Established Member Three Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    New video, AWE Touring exhaust, hot start, revving and hard acceleration from outside the car.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm going to start logging engine parameters since, other than the exhaust, the car is "currently" stock. I want a baseline of how the car performs under various conditions. With the weather changing so much as of late, it's a good time.

I've actually already logged air/fuel and IAT's (air intake temps) using an iPhone and bluetooth OBD dongle. The sample rate is very slow despite having the Kiwi3 dongle. I'm getting maybe 2-3 samples a second. I'd like to see 8-10 for greater resolution. Reading more, it may be ECU limited, not the interface.

I've had a Ross-Tech VCDS USB cable for a few months now but used it for the first time yesterday to reset my service indicator. I also plan on changing a few adaptations, specifically disabling the automatic seat heating level change as well as adjusting oil service intervals to 5K miles.

Here are the codes for those two...

Disable seat heating level 3 to level 2 after 10 minutes.
    [08-Auto HVAC]
    [10-Adaptation]
    [Channel 50] level 3 to 2; adjust value as required; default value = 10 (minutes); value 0 = off
    [Channel 51] level 2 to 1; adjust value as required; default value = 0 (minutes)

Set Oil Change Interval to 5k Miles
    [17 Ė Instruments][Adaptation Ė 10] ->Channel 50 (Basic Distance Value for Oil Change Fixed Service Interval)
    Set to 80
    (1 interval = 100 km, therefore 80x100km = 8000km = ~5000mi)

For how to data log with the VCDS, go here; http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/logging.php
    Related; http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/m-blocks.php

There's a open source/freware program called VC-Scope which allows you to graph data in real time and play back files.
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/index.html

Unfortunately it's still not exactly what I'm looking for as the resolution (speed at which it logs data) can be very slow. Ross-Tech recommends the following;
    " The sample rate for viewing and logging data is largely determined by each controller in the car. There are a few things you can do to speed up the rate for a given controller. First, logging one group at a time, rather than two or three, will help greatly. In order to get the highest sample rate possible go to the Options screen and set Blk Int to 25 and Char Int to 0. Note, however, that this may cause unreliable communications with some controllers. Changing KP2 time to a smaller value speeds up the sample rate in Measuring Blocks on control modules that use the KWP-2000 protocols. Try setting it to 0. If any of these adjustments cause unreliable communications, change them back closer to the defaults. If in doubt, use the Restore Defaults button!

In Engine controllers using KWP-2000, there is a [Turbo] button when using a HEX interface.. This can significantly speed up sampling, in some cases to over 30 samples per second. See the Measuring Blocks page for more information. In Engine controllers using UDS, there is a "Group UDS requests" checkbox that can improve sample rates. See the Advanced Measuring Values page for more information."

Related info to logging speed here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tou...on_screen.html

The Ross-Tech software is very "Windows". It's most definitely not a WYSIWYG program like most folks find in modern operating systems and programs. So...once you log lambda from the on-board wide band sensors on the RS5, you'll need to take those values, dump the .csv file into Microsoft Excel. Yes, you'll need launch that lovely program. For air/fuel ratio, you'll take the lambda voltage and multiply it by 14.7 across the board. You can then chart it and see what your air/fuel ratio looks like across your rpm range.

There's a really good performance logging guide created by user jran76 here:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...rmance-Logging

I used to tune on the street and I do not recommend it unless you find somewhere that's seriously isolated. I my younger, less than optimal years, I'd go out very late at night, say 2-4am, on the highway and make data logging/tuning runs. There were stretches of the highway that would see virtually no traffic and it was long and straight with no hills. I'd log from 40 to 140mph repeatedly. I was young and stupid and I do not recommend it. At the time, it was the best way to load the engine properly and take into account real world conditions. It was very risky and I never ever did it around other cars. I could "feel" any changes and it was also the best way to monitor knock and EGT's. It was also pretty fun (still, so so stupid looking back) as the car was a measly 2500 pounds and had about 603hp at the wheels. It's fun nailing fourth at 85mph and having the car go sideways. Really.

Anyway, logging can be quite fun and and informative. When I was tuning/logging, had a very good understanding of how the engine operated, timing schematics and optimal air/fuel, EGT, IAT, knock, peak ignition pressure, fuel supply and duty cycle, etc...what the engine needed to stay intact and how far I could push things. There's very, very little technical information on the RS5's engine unfortunately. I hope that once JHM really delves into their RS5, they'll share a bit of info with us geeks.

From the few logs I've done, surprisingly, the air/fuel ratio is pretty dialed in, hovering around 12.3:1-12.4:1 at WOT above 4k rpm. I'll try to plot something out and post it here but again, the resolution just sucks. Which may be why it's so nice and flat.

Edit: This isn't my best one, I Have a third gear pull but I've somehow misplaced the file.
    Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

A few very small mods, new carbon fiber valve stems with the Audi rings on the tip. Surprisingly high quality for the cost. Metal threads so you'll want to use a dab of anti-seize.

I had a few squeaks along the sunroof so I did a cleaning and lube using this really expensive magic in a bottle, aka Krytox 105...$35 for that little thing but man does it work. Took care of the sunroof squeak as well as a squeak I had on the driver's door window without taking off the interior panel.

Next I need to recalibrate the driver's side window. It doesn't drop down quickly enough and catches ever so slightly on the rubber frame when you open the door.

Edit: I later used the Krytox to take care of squeaks coming from the trunk area. I thought my sunroof squeak had returned but it was actually the bump stops on the trunk. A very small amount was applied to all the plastic stops. Completely eliminated all the squeaks over uneven pavement/driveways/speed bumps, etc...eerily quiet in that regard now. I'll post some photos illustrating where to lube. Still getting a pop from the sunroof area. Need to investigate more.
    Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 05:53 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I've been meaning to do a photo shoot for months now and it seems like the weather always gets in the way. I live in a major metropolitan area so that means Sunday morning is the ideal time. Got up early and hosed off several days worth of rain and gunk, packed the trunk with camera gear and a ladder and headed out to check out a few locations. I work Saturday nights so it makes it difficult to prepare in advance when the weather is so up and down. I didn't get out the door early enough for the great morning light so I relegated the adventure to a scouting trip. Regardless, I found some great locations and worked with the light I had. I have tons of images to process and I'll be posting a small grouping here as they get toned and cropped. I don't do a lot of heavy photoshop work and pretty much shoot "as is" and use the light to my advantage. If anyone has photo-related questions, ask away.

Last edited by Ape Factory; 06-18-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Some great shots here! 👍🏼
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks Mops!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Tyler has this car dialed in last year..

The bags, the red seat belts, the Recaro CSs

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    .......I didn't get out the door early enough for the great morning light so I relegated the adventure to a scouting trip. Regardless, I found some great locations and worked with the light I had......]
    schiit.... your killing it, brother!
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeDonuts View Post
    Tyler has this car dialed in last year..

The bags, the red seat belts, the Recaro CSs
    I'm not following. Who's Tyler and why do you like donuts?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    schiit.... your killing it, brother!
    Thanks Bill, I try! Bit rusty these days as I don't get out to shoot like I used to.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm not following. Who's Tyler and why do you like donuts?
    This was your car before..... Tyler is Shawn's son this was his car.....and who the fuck doesn't like donuts...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That isn't my car. My car was Shawn's FIRST RS5. Tyler's car is the second RS5 they bought, same spec and it's a 2014. I'd like his seats though! I'd never in a million years bag my car like that. Not a fan of the stance scene.

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cars looking superb Michel.

I much prefer the one that is yours to the one that was your car before that was actually Tylerís and not Shawnís (am I following) as Iím also not a fan of bags from both a performance and aesthetic view.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks James! Shawn owned both cars. He bought the 2013 and then traded it in at his local Audi dealer to buy an R8. Said it was the biggest mistake ever and that the RS5 handled far, far better than the R8. So he ended up ordering an identical 2014. I think Shawn ended up buying another project Audi and instead of selling the RS5 he handed it off to Tyler who I believe, still has the 2014 to this day. Shawn tried to find the 2013 to see where it went but lost track of it until I'd contacted him about the car.

I may end up changing the wheels out. They're forged, light, super expensive and I like them but I prefer more spokes (even though I don't like cleaning more spokes) and I may go with a slightly lighter finish (brushed dark black). Haven't decided yet. I might wait until it's time for a new set of tires.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

That isn't my car. My car was Shawn's FIRST RS5. Tyler's car is the second RS5 they bought, same spec and it's a 2014. I'd like his seats though! I'd never in a million years bag my car like that. Not a fan of the stance scene.
    +1, never understood the affection for that look but TEHO, what ever U like Ďcause itís yours & your paying for it.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

i always try to support someone's mods......
    mods not aligning to my own personal taste are no reason for me to dismiss, not recognise or worse, admonish the project...
    what is relevant to me is the execution & the quality based on the the available resources....

while i too, personally prefer purely functional performance & handling mods, the inspiration for my project is bknewtype's (Steve) project which was slammed so hard i think the tyers may have lifted off the ground... lol....

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Active Member Two Rings Moto_Beck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S5 Cabrio | MKVII GTI | '14 Triumph Street Triple R

super tasty mods - thanks for sharing - that AWE system sounds fantastic.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    i always try to support someone's mods......
    mods not aligning to my own personal taste are no reason for me to dismiss, not recognise or worse, admonish the project...
    what is relevant to me is the execution & the quality based on the the available resources....

while i too, personally prefer purely functional performance & handling mods, the inspiration for my project is bknewtype's (Steve) project which was slammed so hard i think the tyers may have lifted off the ground... lol....

That's definitely hot, I can appreciate it even if I wouldn't choose to do it that way myself. But still not a fan of the stance scene :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So a few updates. I've now installed the following:

-034 Motorsports rear subframe bushings
    -ECS Tuning rear-most differential mounts
    -eBay special solid transmission brace

Out of all of them, I believe the subframe braces made the most difference. I already had the Apikol Red differential brace (front) which is why I probably didn't notice the ECS mounts as much. The solid transmission mount increases vibration at idle but I don't notice it anywhere else. I am detecting slightly more noise from the rear with the subframe mounts but it's minuscule.

I've spent the past few weeks acquiring all the nuts/bolts and aftermarket parts to do some work on the front and rear suspension. I received my 034 Motorsports solid rear end links yesterday so I should be ready to go.

I'll be installing the following;
    -034 Motorsports Density Line upper shock mounts
    -ECS Tuning front sway bar end links
    -New upper control arm bushing for the Stern adjustable arms (someone installed the wrong bushing)
    -034 Motorsports rear sway bar end links

All the nuts/bolts need to be replaced and their cost is almost as high as the aftermarket parts. I may try to do all of this tomorrow if possible but I may put it off a week as I may try to hit the dyno on Monday and don't want anything holding me up from going.

Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 06:07 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Whelp, I'd made the decision to tackle all of this tomorrow but unfortunately the bushing size for the upper control arm is 46.5mm OD and my bearing press OD is 44.5mm. I don't think I'll have enough on the bushing shell to push it out or in. So I've ordered a press and pull set that has a 46mm bushing. Won't be here til late next week. Grr.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I decided to install the 034 Motorsports rear sway bar end links this morning before heading to work so I could asses them on their own with the H&R rear swaybar. Figured it would take me an hour tops given that itís four bolts. Whelp, too a bit longer, mostly due to limited space for the top inboard-facing bolt and nut. The bottom one literally takes five seconds to remove.

There are no instructions on assembly or installation on the 034 site. BUT itís pretty straightforward. Standard disclaimer, this is my experience and if you undertake this on your own, itís at your own risk and expense. I offer no warranty or protection from you screwing things up or even hurting yourself.

Tools I needed
    -A jack and two stands
    -Block of wood
    -Torque wrench thatíll read down to 29 ft.lb.
    -Shorty ratchet for sockets
    -16 and 17mm sockets, long and short, can be all 3/8 depending on your tool set.
    -16 and 17mm wrenches of various lengths. A good set of shorties and ratcheting set work well.
    -If you donít have those, 5/8Ē will work to get them off.
    -Patience
    -Synthetic high tack lubricant (optional)
    -Small, battery-powered impact gun (optional) for removal of bottom bolts. Can be done by hand though.

A few pointers.
    -The bushingís smaller end goes into the bearing on each side. There are four bushings per link, two for the top, two for the bottom.
    -I used a little bit of synthetic grease on the outer side of the bushing where it fits into the bearing. I did NOT lube the inside of the bushing as it would collect on the threads and throw off your torque reading.
    -I did lube the solid part of the bolt aft of the threads.
    -Make sure you have plenty of 16mm sockets and wrenches, preferably a stubby and/or a ratcheting wrench. A 5/8thís works in a pinch to get everything off.
    -The new hardware is 17mm.
    -The original nuts/bolts are not on there very tight, so no breaker bar needed. You can use a reasonably long wrench and some muscle to get them off.
    -Take the tires off. Yes, technically, you can get them off with the tires on the car but itís far easier with the tires off.
    -A stubby 3/8 ratchet with a long 16mm and 17mm socket will make getting the nut on and off that much easier. Trust me.
    -Youíll need a jack to get the car up obviously, but make sure to put it on stands as youíll need the jack and a block of wood to push one side of the suspension up a bit for alignment purposes. More on that later.

All nuts are torqued to 29.5 ft./lb. plus 90 degrees. The first link I did took me a good 50 minutes, mostly figuring out the best position to be in to remove and install stuff. Definitely jack up both sides and take the tires off. The last link took me ten.

The bearings will loosen up a bit over time but as of right now, thereís no additional noise whatsoever. I didnít get to hammer it and I couldnít tell any difference initially until I arrived at a proper set of corners. The very preliminary results is that the rear end does indeed feel tighter transitionally with very very slight increase in willingness to rotate. I need a bit more time to fully assess. Should go well with the front end links once I get them installed.

Two end links and the associated hardware. Comes with it which is one reason why I purchased these over Eurocodes. No dust boot though. Once you open everything, youíll notice there are eight bushings, four bolts, two nuts and three washers. The bottom bolt screws into the lower control arm housing so thereís no nut on the opposite side.

Stock, ugly end links.

Notice the smaller end of the bushing. The two meet in the middle of the bearing and provide support for the bolt. Small end goes inside the bearing. Itís a fairly exact fit so theyíll stay in there while you move stuff around.

Getting the top nut/bolt off is a bit of a trick due to tight spacing. If Audi had only used a different lower control arm design, with a nice triangle-shaped hole, itíd be cake. But noÖGermans.
    Anyway, just be patient and figure out the best combo to remove the nut and bolt. I found the shorty ratchet with a 16mm socket worked best. I put a ratcheting wrench on the bolt head. Youíre not able to get a ratcheting wrench on the bolt head because thereís not enough clearance in between the bolt and the damper shaft.

Once you get the old links off, assemble the top portion of the link, washers and bushings on both sides. Stick the bolt through the link, then through the end of the sway bar. Put the washer on the bolt, then the nut. Make sure the bushing is in there too. Hand tighten, then once you hit the nylon portion of the lock nut, use the shorty ratchet again. DONíT fully tighten it.

Now hereís the tricky part (and the reason why you donít fully tighten it). Youíll need to line up the hole in the end link with the hole in the lower control arm. The easiest way to do this is to use a jack under one side of the suspension. Place a block of wood on top of the jack and use the rear rotor as a jack point (unless youíve converted to ceramics!). It wonít take much. Eventually, itíll mostly line up and there is play in the end link to facilitate. You should be able to thread it in by hand. Sounds difficult but it took virtually no time. Another tip, LEAVE the jack there. Donít move it as it pretty much aligns the holes on both sides of the car.

Torque both nuts down to 29.5ft.lb. The suspension does not have to be at ride height before torquing as theyíre spherical bearings and the end links are non-adjustable.

Move on to the other side and repeat the above. And youíre done!
    Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings chrissurfr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

love it. red is one of the best colors for the Rs5
    2017 Cement Grey TRD Pro 4runner
    2014 Suzuka Grey RS5 >:)
    • Lots of black satin wrapped stuff
    • AWE Track Exhaust with center muffler straight piped
    • H&R Street Coilovers
    • BBS CH R - Titanium finish
    • eCode headlights
    • funky floormats
    • Eventuri intake
    • Carbon fiber seat trim
    • Carbon fiber dash trim

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Those links are such a nice addition. I have and the 034 rear bar bar on my SQ and S4 both. They've been on the SQ for 2.5 years now. They're still 100% silent.

Good info, Michel. 👊🏻
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Good to hear Mops. Iím sure you see a bit of snow/ice from time to time so itís a good omen theyíre lasting. I was initially a bit concerned about the lack of dust boots.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Good to hear Mops. Iím sure you see a bit of snow/ice from time to time so itís a good omen theyíre lasting. I was initially a bit concerned about the lack of dust boots.
    That is exactly why I called that out :) And yes, the SQ has been salt covered many times, and I've made no effort to clean out the links.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Three Rings Shawn@PacificGerman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18' SQ5 . 17' R8 . 17' C4 . 16' Turbo S . 15' C4S . 17' Q7 . '89 964 . '16 981 . '06 911 C2S
    Items for Sale

Congrats again on the car. Glad to have stumbled across this thread.

Hope you are enjoying it as much as we did.. these are amazing cars!

Pacific German | Info@PacificGerman.com | Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley Service, Tuning, Repair | Located in Laguna Hills, Ca

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I am definitely enjoying the car. Very glad you decided to sell it!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ended up purchasing a used Eventuri intake for the car along with the Gen II filters. I wasn't going to put them on initially but I needed to see how long it'd take me to swap them on for testing purposes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also wanted to get some seat time with them installed before the temps rose dramatically over what they've been as of late. Butt dyno calibration.

Was a fairly straightforward swap but you do have to be very patient in lining everything up. The driver's side was easier than the passenger's side in that regard. I also paid very close attention to the seal in between the front scoop and the bell of the intake. The passenger's side had been mounted wrong and it deformed the seal into an awkward shape that didn't seal. I fixed that and made that seal the priority and adjusted everything else accordingly.

One deviation, I did not install the front scoop first. I installed the bell (filter housing) first and hand tightened the 10mm bolt through the housing's bracket and to the car. I then installed the scoop and worked on positioning the bell to the scoop before securing the 10mm bolt with a ratcheting closed end wrench. It's a necessity to have one if you want to maintain your sanity.

Swapping out the filters is fairly straightforward. With the filter housing in hand, remove the t-bolt band clamp. You'll have to pry a bit to separate the base mounting plate and filter from the rest of the housing. I used plastic interior trim pullers. Once it's separated, the filter is exposed as is the worm gear clamp holding it to the base. Loosen the clamp to it rotates freely. Take the same interior trim puller to gently apply some pressure between the base and the bottom of the filter. It gets stuck on there over time but it'll eventually pop free. Just work your way around the circumference. Piece of cake. Don't forget to take notice of how the bracket is lined up/rotated in relation to the Eventuri tag at the top.

I took the car out for a run and there's definitely a difference, especially from about 4K on up to redline. There does seem to be a bit more throttle "snap" down low. Changes the exhaust note (for the better) and there is more sound from the intake side. I'll be dyno testing the intake vs. the stock airboxes with K&N filters. Fortunately, the Eventuri I bought had an extra set of scoops so I can swap the OEM ones back in with just two bolts.

Random gratuitous shot of the OEM headers. We don't see them much so why not?
    Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 06:15 PM.

AZ Member #

The front scoops are in important part of the kit so you may notice an improvement with them fitted, make sure they get a good supply of air on the dyno. I had two snail fans feeding he scoop area when I dynoíd mine.
    Doug convinced me

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes the fan issue is important. I don't think they have a high speed fan at this place if my memory serves correctly. I won't test the OEM intake with the Eventuri scoops, it'll have the OEM scoop/inlet in front of the airbox.

I may actually test the Eventuri first as swapping in the OEM intakes is less time consuming. No hard to reach bolts and no careful aligning needed. This way I could most likely test both the same day.

AZ Member #

I wasnít paying by the hour when I did mine and the dyno operator was a German guy so genuinely interested in the results of the intake. We ran the OE system, ordered in some lunch as the car cooled off, fitted the Eventuri with it still on the dyno and ran it up another 3 times to get a good average, the first numbers with the Eventuri were pretty high HP with lower torque mid range but the next two runs were identical so I assume the ECU did some learning and adjusting.

It would be a shame if they donít have a good fan, take your leaf blower and point it at the front.
    Doug convinced me

Senior Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products

I had mine originally installed by shop here in the bay area and not until I replaced the filters my self did I realize the attention that needs to be paid to fitment. It took a bit of patience on my part to make everything line up, and much better than it had been done by the shop. I am not as mechanically inclined as you and @JamesRS5 but I did enjoy the experience and the sense of accomplishment. Of course the Butt Dyno confirmation that the effort was worthwhile had a lot to do with it.

2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake, Akrapovič exhaust
    On order: Bilstein B16 RideControl
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I knew today would be painful. My plan was to yank both front suspension assemblies, replace the top rubber mounts, one control arm bushing and the front sway bar end links.

Going in, 034 Motorsports Density Line upper shock mounts, an OEM style heavy duty bushing and ECS Tuning front sway bar end links.

For bushing removal, you'll need a push/pull kit. I purchased this one off of eBay for less than $100. The bearings that come with it suck and will break after your first use but you can get by without them.

Ready for battle.

I started by taping off the line for the center cap and the top of the rotors. I could use this to "load" the suspension with the jack and tighten various nuts/bolts to spec.

I also have a set of race ramps which allow me to have the suspension loaded with the tires on. These are super light. Best way I can describe them is they feel like styrofoam but they have the ability to support 1500 lbs. each. They weigh about a pound. Cool stuff

I used the most excellent ECS Tuning guide to installing coilovers as it had all the torque specs and the steps are spot on. You can download the PDF off of the ECS website.

I jacked the car up and removed both front wheels. No need to have the car with the suspension loaded just yet. I covered the ceramic rotor with a towel, just in case. I then took a measurement of the spring perch height and came out to 5omm. The passenger's side came in at about 53mm but I changed it to 50. I took the measurement because I'll be loosening the bottom spring perch to relieve spring tension and allow me to remove the top mount.

I released the spring tension with the assembly still in the car but for the other side, I did it with the assembly out of the car. Per James' suggestion, I have a screwdriver with a cut-off tip that I use to adjust it. But I also picked up a Bilstein wrench just to have it.

I purchased a schwaben ball joint breaker tool and it made removing the tie rod end super easy. Took like a minute and came apart without drama and no damaged dust boots. Highly recommended.

I did have to remove the lower strut mount fork. I couldn't figure out an easy way to get it out with it still on the bottom of the damper. It actually saves quite a bit of time removing it as the shock tower to chassis brace and the damper come right out, easy as pie. I could have saved myself a good 30 minutes if I'd removed it from the start. Be sure to purchase the spreader bit off of the ECS website. It ensures you don't damage the lower mount and allows for easy removal of the damper from the lower fork mount.

Once out, the arm with the "bad" bushing rotated freely whereas the OEM rubber style mount had a very limited range. I took off the arm that needed the bushing replaced and then used my bushing removal kit. Found the right press out size and assembled everything. There's one cup that matches the outer size of the bushing shell and another, larger cup that the bushing gets pressed into. Both have slots so you can see your progress.

Assembled and ready to be pressed out.

And it's out! It literally took 10 seconds and came out very, very easily. I was expecting a struggle but it didn't happen. I did grease everything in the assembly to remove any friction.

So I didn't see this coming...Once i got the offending bushing off, I realized it was a poly bushing, most likely a Powerflex black race bushing (Edit, it's a Whiteline bushing). It was a bit wide for the space it's designed to fit into and I could see the end of the polyurethane had deformed a bit. Here it is next to the new OEM-style bushing.

Closeup of the serial number on the bushing. So this is why the suspension was squeaking without a doubt. EDIT: It's actually a Whiteline polyurethane bushing. I don't know if these are what Pacific German Performance had put on way back when or if they'd all been replaced with OEM style and the dealership installed them. Honestly, other than the slightly deformed end, and the squeak, they looked pretty good. Going to take the bushing apart and inspect it.

I put the new bushing in the freezer for a bit and used synthetic grease on the inside of the control arm. Made putting the new bushing in just as easy as removing the old. You can put the new bushing/arm on the upper mount and torque to spec out of the car. Just line it up with the other arm. The reason why they say to do it at ride height is the rubber only has so much rotational movement. By positioning the arm appropriately, you're achieving the same thing.

At this point, having nothing go wrong, I was practically laughing out loud at how easy everything was. Then I tried to remove the top nut on the damper. Huge PITA. I did have the Schwaben tool specifically for this but it was still difficult.

OEM rubber mount on top, the 034 density line on the bottom. The original mounts showed wear. If you're going to swap springs or go with coil overs, definitely get these top mounts.

I cleaned and reassembled the damper and top mount assembly and got everything back in fairly easily. It's a bit of a struggle to get the strut/top mount up and in and then get one of the mount to chassis bolts threaded. Just takes a bit of muscle but easily doable by yourself.

I adjusted the ECS end links to OEM length and installed them per their instructions. I will say this...the top bolt is a huge, huge, HUGE pain to get in. I was cursing and I must have struggled for a good hour. I found that it would go in and then wouldn't turn by hand. I figured i was cross threading it. Not the case. Once you get to that point, put a 17mm shorty on it and twist away. Goes right in after that.

I moved on to the passenger's side and it went more quickly as I didn't stop to take photos and I'd taken my time on the driver's side. With the knowledge from the first ECS end link, the second one went in much easier. I did run into one snafu, the starter threads on the top of the Bilstein damper were tweaked. Couldn't get a nut on it. I also couldn't find my master thread repair kit and tried to use small files to repair the threads to no avail. So I ended up using a high speed cutoff wheel to grind a few threads off. Problem solved.

For the final step, adjusting the end links, I put the car up on the race ramps. I adjusted them for no load and finished buttoning everything up.

All told it took me a whopping 7 hours. To make matters worse, I discovered that the passenger side had one poly bushing too. Wasn't obvious as it was even in the bore unlike the other which stuck out like a sore thumb. I'd only ordered one bushing and one nut/bolt for the driver's control arm so I cleaned and lubed it with Krytox. Next time I have any work to do on the suspension, I'll take care of the other bushing. I could probably do each side in less than two hours now. But I can think of better ways to spend a Sunday.

Leftover bag of (used) bolts, LOL.
    Last edited by Ape Factory; 04-28-2018 at 07:01 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I didn't have a chance to take the car out until late today. Dead silence from the suspension. I did have a slight klink initially but it disappeared. Assuming this is the end links breaking in. I'll most likely put it up on blocks again tomorrow and see if they need further adjusting. But not hearing any creaking from the front suspension was very nice for a change. I still get a "pop" from the sunroof over big inclines. If anyone has any suggestions on that one, I'd like to hear it. Have a feeling I'll need to remove the liner.

Veteran Member Four Rings s vier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5
    Items for Sale

This is an impressive thread to say the least! Sunroof wise, have you considered deleting it? I know it seems like a pipe dream but all the parts are available from Audi. Imagine losing 100+ lbs on top of the car and never hearing a squeak again. ECS got me some hard to source B5 RS4 body panels a few years back. I bet they can get us some 2010 RS5 solid roofs and solid headliners. Just thoughts....
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

IG: GERMANBrew

AZ Member #
    My Garage

100 pounds of weight loss actually sounds nice! I've always been a sunroof guy, love em and keep them open 2/3 of the year but on the RS5, it's such a compromise. I could probably live without it. I'm thinking it's possible to loose about 300 pounds total over a stock RS5 (non ceramic) with a few careful modifications. That includes 100 pounds for the glass.

I'm guessing it'd be a major amount of work on the exterior side of things.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5
    Items for Sale

300 was my general goal coming from a non ceramic car. Akropovic was a huge weight loss. Carbon Ceramics. Wheels. Seats. Iím half way there. I keep contemplating swapping the CH-Rs for FI-Rs to shave another 40lbs off but damn that price tag!
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Hood too...it's a heavy sucker. Was really surprised the first time I hoisted it open. Be sure to weigh your OEM seats as well as the Recaros. Wight loss is fairly easy but it ain't cheap!

I figure my wheels are about 23-24 pounds each. To loose more than that, you'd have to spend a boatload of money or go with something like the Volk TE37. I had a set of Volks, SE37A's, 18x9.5 and they were 16 pounds each. Stupid. James has carbon rear brakes, can't remember what he said they weighed vs. the OEM rear brakes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5
    Items for Sale

Hereís my list from my research:

Iíve lost 125lbs so far.

-20lbs Akropovic Titanium Catback
    -6lbs AWE Non Resonated DPs
    -21.2lbs rotational CH-R Wheels (29.2 vs 34.5stock)
    -56lbs Euro RS5 Buckets (40lbs vs 68lb)
    -22lbs Rotational Front CCB

Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

why not delete the rear seats also? That should be a good 150 lbs approx maybe more. Plus the exhaust sounded is amplified 50% with the rear seats dropped.
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Black Optics |
    AWE | VelocityAP | 1Sec | iND | Eventuri
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: P.Blk

IG @RS5z

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast