Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 3.2QMT S-Line MoroBlue

A6 TPMS alert too frequent?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all, has anyone had problem with the TPMS alert going off too often? My car says the tires are underinflated once a month or so. And interestingly it's always on the driver's side....I drive alone 99% of the time...is that why??
    Please help this newbie out!
    Thanks in advance!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige, 2014 Infiniti QX60
    Items for Sale

Did you reset after you pump air in?
    - Michael
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige: GIAC S2 / Injen Intake / Deval rear diffuser / OEM muffler mod (Quad Tips + X-Pipe) / Eurocode drivetrain inserts / 034 Swaybar / Volk wheels / KW V1/ RS front grill / Carbon fiber trunk spoiler / Stoptech rotors / home made front lip.

Muffler Tips for sale: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-tips-for-sale

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Since you said it's always on the driver's side I guess you verified that by checking pressure in each tire. Did you had to inflate one or 2 tires? If so, then it's nothing wrong with the system but you have slow leak.

Registered Member One Ring WhineAndDine's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Honestly that happens to me a lot- when it happens a lot for me is in the change of seasons especially now in this weird season, I donít even know what to call it, overnight itís just around freezing and during the day it gets someone over 90í and thatís usually when it happens to me. Early afternoon like in the middle of no where. For me itís the huge temperature differences I believe. Thatís the pattern Iíve been able to get out of it at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Four Rings RAF_S7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How old is the car, and when did you last change the TMPS sensor, or the battery?
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//HUD//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR650//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon Trim//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Carbon Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Roc-Euro//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed
    Gone: 2014 Audi A7Q 3.0 TFSI
    Gone: 2011 Audi A6Q 2.8 TFSI
    Gone: 2009 Audi A3Q 2.0 TDIi

AZ Member #

Both S6 and A6 are 2014. And it happens to both of them so thereís something more than just the sensors themselves. Uhm, earlier this summer when I put new tires on. Iím not sure if the battery was changed then or not but I know the sensors were for sure

Senior Member Three Rings jrsAudiA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Quote Originally Posted by WhineAndDine View Post
    Both S6 and A6 are 2014. And it happens to both of them so thereís something more than just the sensors themselves. Uhm, earlier this summer when I put new tires on. Iím not sure if the battery was changed then or not but I know the sensors were for sure

The TPMS on the A6 does not have pressure sensors in the wheels. It works off the ABS system. You should set your tire pressure when they are cold and than reset the TPMS thru the MMI so that it can relearn. This should prevent what is happening in your case. I believe the S6 works the same as the A6, so do the same for the S6.
    2018 A5 SB Matador Red Premium Plus
    2012 A6 Garnet Red, Prestige Pkg, Innovation Pkg, B&O sound system, 20" Sport Pkg, KW v3 suspension, Alcon Mono6/380mm front brakes, S6 rear brake rotors(356x22mm) and caliper carriers.
    Adj. upper control arms, Eurocode Front and Rear sway bars & Alu Kreuz front brace, GIAC Stage 2
    Lumar Tint:
    CTX 50% Tint F. S. Windows, CTX 30% Tint R. & R. S. Windows, AIR 80% Front Windshield
    XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra, hood, L & R fenders, AWE Exhaust without down pipes

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jrsAudiA6 View Post
    The TPMS on the A6 does not have pressure sensors in the wheels. It works off the ABS system. You should set your tire pressure when they are cold and than reset the TPMS thru the MMI so that it can relearn. This should prevent what is happening in your case. I believe the S6 works the same as the A6, so do the same for the S6.
    Oh okay. Sounds good to me. Thank you. Theyíve pretty much always been reset when it was warm out.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oh okay. Sounds good to me. Thank you. Theyíve pretty much always been reset when it was warm out.

Same. I've always reset when they're warm. I'll try and pump air and reset in the morning.
    Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_S7 View Post
    How old is the car, and when did you last change the TMPS sensor, or the battery?
    It's the 2015 model (bought in September 2014). My car was recently hit pretty badly when it was parked....They put a new wheel in the front driver's side. Nver changed the battery.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Honestly that happens to me a lot- when it happens a lot for me is in the change of seasons especially now in this weird season, I donít even know what to call it, overnight itís just around freezing and during the day it gets someone over 90í and thatís usually when it happens to me. Early afternoon like in the middle of no where. For me itís the huge temperature differences I believe. Thatís the pattern Iíve been able to get out of it at least.

That's actually an interesting observation and I think I kinda agree with you. I think it was less frequent during the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIofil View Post
    Since you said it's always on the driver's side I guess you verified that by checking pressure in each tire. Did you had to inflate one or 2 tires? If so, then it's nothing wrong with the system but you have slow leak.
    I always have to inflate both tires on the driver side. The other side is always fine. It's pretty annoying...
    Does that I might need a new tire and/or wheel?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B7er View Post
    That's actually an interesting observation and I think I kinda agree with you. I think it was less frequent during the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

I always have to inflate both tires on the driver side. The other side is always fine. It's pretty annoying...
    Does that I might need a new tire and/or wheel?
    If you need to keep inflating tires every so often it's mean you have a slow leak and that's it. You might be able to get tires fixed but it takes a really good shop to find and fix this kind of a leak.
    I had that problem on other car and multiple trips to tire shop wouldn't fix it. However it was vehicle with TPMS sensors installed in each wheel and I'm quite sure air was actually leaking thru the sensors.
    There were some rubber gaskets that supposed to be replaced each time tire gets mounted/dismounted. As mentioned earlier newer Audi's (except RS7 - to my knowledge) don't have any TPMS sensors.
    ABS sensor take on this duty as they read wheel revolutions and compare it to set value.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIofil View Post
    If you need to keep inflating tires every so often it's mean you have a slow leak and that's it. You might be able to get tires fixed but it takes a really good shop to find and fix this kind of a leak.
    I had that problem on other car and multiple trips to tire shop wouldn't fix it. However it was vehicle with TPMS sensors installed in each wheel and I'm quite sure air was actually leaking thru the sensors.
    There were some rubber gaskets that supposed to be replaced each time tire gets mounted/dismounted. As mentioned earlier newer Audi's (except RS7 - to my knowledge) don't have any TPMS sensors.
    ABS sensor take on this duty as they read wheel revolutions and compare it to set value.
    hmmm I see. Thank you!