Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Carbon cleaning

Active Member Two Rings Audiosz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Carbon cleaning

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi my 2013 a4 has about 53,000 miles on it now and I'm apr stage 1 running e85 and sometimes 91 octane. I'm wondering if I should have a carbon cleaning done and was wondering how much I should expect to pay and if it's worth it. Also would you recommend an Audi dealership or and reputable independent shop? I do plan on going apr stage 2 in the near future. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Carbon cleaning

It's a good idea to do it every 40-50k miles on tfsi engines. You may look at the DIY section found in the sticky to remove your intake manifold and take a look at your current carbon build up on your valves and flappers.

You should call a few independent shops and get a quote. Here in Canada, it's 300-400. Expect 4-5 hr of labor.

You may do it yourself if you have the tools and the patience. Again, you'll find a 13 pages long DIY in the stickies section.

For the "if it's worth it" question. It's mostly about the following. Are you experiencing misfires or sometimes cold start issues? Does the car rumble for a few seconds at startup?

Being worth it is also about you and if you want your car to have the most chances to perform adequately and "as new". It's maintenance and if you're driving the car in a spirited manner, you'll probably see a difference between a non cleaned carbon build up and a freshly cleaned car.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4 (stock), Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Carbon cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Audiosz View Post
    Hi my 2013 a4 has about 53,000 miles on it now and I'm apr stage 1 running e85 and sometimes 91 octane. I'm wondering if I should have a carbon cleaning done and was wondering how much I should expect to pay and if it's worth it. Also would you recommend an Audi dealership or and reputable independent shop? I do plan on going apr stage 2 in the near future. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

If you DIY, I'm making this adapter that keeps the walnut shells from scattering throughout your engine bay. I think it'd be a fairly easy DIY myself. I did it on my 3.0T.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 10-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had my carbon cleaning done at the same time I went APR stage I. I was at a well-regarded local APR dealer shop, and my car was going to be with them all day, so I had them do the carbon cleaning. This was at about 70k miles. They charged $500, which may have been a bit high, but I wanted to go to a place with a great reputation of working on VAG cars.

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audiosz View Post
    Also would you recommend an Audi dealership or and reputable independent shop?
    If you are in the Twin Cities, I'd highly recommend Chris DeLadi at Anderson Motorsports in Eden P. Indy shop that does nothing but Audi/Porsche. Hell their address is Quattro Drive. Good guy, does a lot of Audi tunning and service. And you can talk to him: not some "service advisor".

http://www.andersonmotorsport.com/
    11 A4 Q, Black
    83,000 miles

06 A4 2.0T Q, Dakar Biege
    137,000 miles, Mods:
    APR Stage 1, color DIS, paddle shifters, OEM Bluetooth, VFIZ, auto-fold mirrors.

Active Member Two Rings Audiosz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thank you everyone. I actually called the local Audi dealership and they quoted $900! I'll probably take it to either an apr shop or anderson motorsports

Established Member Two Rings Blur2u's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    If you DIY, I'm maki this adapter that keeps the walnut shells from scattering throughout your engine bay. I think it'd be a fairly DIY myself. I did it on my 3.0T.

Didn't want to make a new thread, but does anyone in the San Diego area know of any shops that does this for Vag cars? All the shops i see are for bmw's.

Also ford perfect with the adapters you're making have you ever thought about making a aluminum version? If you use walnut on that adapter do you think it'll wear down over time?

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4 (stock), Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Carbon cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2u View Post
    Didn't want to make a new thread, but does anyone in the San Diego area know of any shops that does this for Vag cars? All the shops i see are for bmw's.

Also ford perfect with the adapters you're making have you ever thought about making a aluminum version? If you use walnut on that adapter do you think it'll wear down over time?
    I guess it's possible, but with the direction of spray and the suction of the vacuum I think wear is minimal.

It might also make it cost prohibitive, at least if 3D printing aluminum is the method.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings Carlos74's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    If you DIY, I'm making this adapter that keeps the walnut shells from scattering throughout your engine bay. I think it'd be a fairly easy DIY myself. I did it on my 3.0T.

Interested. Your inbox is full. Pm me for price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    APR l CTS l EUROCODE l ECS l 034 l PODI l GFB l MAGNAFLOW l H&R l SPC l STANCE l SPULEN l HANKOOK l NGK

IG: c_lowsB8

Senior Member Two Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2u View Post

Iím pretty sure Escondido German Auto does the walnut blast. I would think Pure Motorsport in Miramar would do it too. I havent tried either of these shops but they seem to have good reputations.
    Current: 2013 A4. Past: 2010 A4

Established Member Two Rings Blur2u's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audrobotic View Post
    Iím pretty sure Escondido German Auto does the walnut blast. I would think Pure Motorsport in Miramar would do it too. I havent tried either of these shops but they seem to have good reputations.
    thanks for the recommendation, i normally buy all my parts at Pure Motorsports for my B5. I haven't had a chance to call them over the weekend since they were close. I'll give them a call today.