Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings nochance9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Sidewall dilemma w/19s (ar)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Getting ready to get some new shoes for the allroad, but having a hard time deciding on the right side wall size...

I am going to go with a with of 255, but want to get opinions on x40, x45, and x50 sidewall measurements (27, 28, and 29" respectively). I mostly drive around town, but do find myself on dirt roads once a month or so. I personally like a full looking wheel well and a beefyer look and like the idea of a little extra clearance with the larger sizes.

What do you think? Has anyone ever fitted a 29" tire under the allroads? Do you have pics of similar sizes?

PS: I looked through the wheel and tire tread, but most the photos are blocked by that stupid Photobucket error message...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings 4rings2turbos's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I ran 255/40/19 on 8.5 for a while and it looked really nice. Beefy motorsport look.
    OEM+ work in progress allroad
    Unicorn Society member #8
    @fourings | Build

Active Member Two Rings B_Fung520's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B_Fung520 View Post
    I just installed a set of 245/40/19 on my car and it looks okay on level 2. There is a decent sized fender gap, but I think if you go with any taller of a tire it might rub the fender well when your steering is fully clocked on a 19in wheel. Hereís a pic. I hope it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 allroad 2.7t 6mt, 2006 VW Passat Komfort, 2004 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t

Here's mine with 255 40 19's on 9.5in. wide wheels. As 4rings said, nice meaty side wall but still very comfy ride.

This season I put these on and like the ride/look.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have 255/40R19 on but you have some freedom around that size. A 245/40 would work, 265/35 too. I prefer to get the most out of the sectional width so I stick to 245-265 range and within proper (slightly upsized) ratio. 255/40 and 265/35 are pretty close to rubbing on full lock even properly spaced so I would treat them as the upper limit.

Established Member Two Rings nochance9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Sounds like I should stick to the 27" tire options. I need to verify wheel with, but I'm pretty sure it's either 8.5 or 9, so 265 would probably be too wide... So, 255x40 it is!

I do plan on spacing these out, I've got some 25mm spacers for it and I'm running aluminum uprights in the front (unsure of exact track width difference from cast, but I know it's wider)

Bonus question, any suggestions on tire selection? I'm thinking either Continental DWS or Pirelli Nero.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 allroad 2.7t 6mt, 2006 VW Passat Komfort, 2004 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t

I love my Conti's. This is my second set of Conti Pro Contacts. They wear well with low road noise.

Julex, your car is sick!

Active Member Two Rings B_Fung520's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíve been running the continental dws 06 for about 1k now, and I donít have any complaints. They seemed to work pretty well in the wet during that one downpour this summer, but I have yet to test them in the snow. Overall they seem like nice tires at this moment.

They also make a set of generals (continentals other tire brand) that are comparable to the dws, but the tread wear rating is slightly lower and also lower in cost.

Active Member Two Rings DreamInRotary's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Allroad / 1984 RXSE7EN

I love the pictures in this thread, 19's look awesome on an AR!
    - 2001 Audi Allroad - 6sp Manual 01e - EPL Stage 2 Tune - Arnott Gen 2's - Hotchkis Sway Bars - True 3" to 3" SSAC Downpipes - Magnaflow Exhaust -