Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Winter Wagon

Registered Member One Ring ninesix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 718 Porsche Cayman S

Winter Wagon

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

Just picked up my “Winter Wagon” to get me through until the spring. It’s a 6 speed manual allroad that I bought from a local thrift store for $1500, steal of the year! Fuel pump was iffy, cracked windshield and leaky turbos but that really is all that was wrong. A little over 158,000 miles so it is up there with miles but has plenty of life left. I already replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro 450LPH fuel pump.

My goal is to get the wheels and suspension taken care of first, I plan on ditching the bags for coils and going with h-sport sway bars so it handles less like a boat. And eventually get some K04s in it and go with a moderate stage 3 build. I have owned 3 stage 3 2.7 swapped B6s and a stage 3 C5 A6 previous to this, but I haven’t owned a 2.7 since 2015.

The idea with this car is to make it a reasonably fun winter beater/daily, not a super high performance machine. I have another car that fits that need which will arrive in the early spring with any luck!

The car was filthy when I picked it up. It was owned by an older gentleman who lived in the sticks and owned a dog, smelt like wet dog inside and covered inside with dirt and dust. First thing I did was get a full detail so I could start on a somewhat reasonable playing surface. Posted some before and after pictures here below. Next up is a window tint on Friday, I’m tackling everything one thing at a time.

At the moment I am trying to justify throwing money at it but considering it only cost me $1500 I could have a pretty nice car if I stick 5-8k in it?

The day I picked it up, after seeing an ad posted on Craigslist the night before I was at the thrift store at 8:58am sharp, I knew what a rare find this was!

Here are some before and after pictures from the detail. It was pretty messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R

At $1500, it's a steal!
    2003 Audi B6 A4 Quattro Sport Avant, 3.0 | 6-Speed Manual Swap | BOSE | Rear PDC | Factory Votex Kit | OEM B6 S4 Black Optic Grille | Rear Tints | Black Leather | Cruise | H&R Spacers 12/15mm Front / Rear | B7 S4 OEM Alloys

B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Veteran Member Three Rings cu52's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice! Body looks pretty clean. Hell of a deal. Cant wait to see what you to do it! You could do a lot with less $ than you posted!

Any maintenance records? I always add the car to mycarfax.com (Free account) and it shows you decent info on mainteance records based on vin. Does not show any info on owners accidents etc. but very helpful.
    2008 Toyota Sequoia
    2008 Toyota Highlander Sport
    2004 Audi Allroad 6MT 2.7T. Going stage 3 now!
    2004 Audi S4 MT6 - Timing chain issues....Fix or Part out

Previous:
    2001 S4 Casablanca White 6MT , 2004 VW GTI 5 speed, 2003 A4 Avant 3.0 6 Speed, 2009 Tundra Crewmax Limited- Still in the family, 2011 Tacoma Double Cab, 2002 A4 Avant 3.0 Tip, 2001.5 S4 Avant tip GIAC stage 3 minus, 2000 S4 6-Speed Stage 1 APR

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cu52 View Post
    Nice! Body looks pretty clean. Hell of a deal. Cant wait to see what you to do it! You could do a lot with less $ than you posted!

Any maintenance records? I always add the car to mycarfax.com (Free account) and it shows you decent info on mainteance records based on vin. Does not show any info on owners accidents etc. but very helpful.
    Body is pretty dang good for the mileage and age, one warped fender flare but that’s replaceable. I work for a dealer so already ran the car fax. It’s a lemon law car due to an engine replacement. Doesn’t bother me one bit though! I’ll be overhauling the whole thing so to a point maintenance isn’t a huge concern. Got it on a lift a few days ago and it has 3 out of 4 Arnott bags. 1 of which was pretty recently replaced looking at it. Null and void anyway given I’ll be going to coils more than likely.

Active Member Two Rings DreamInRotary's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Allroad / 1984 RXSE7EN

Awesome steal! I'll keep checking back in since I own one that is identical to yours.

Out of curiosity, which bags are Arnott's and are they Gen 1 or 2's? Mine needs fronts I'm starting to think but we will see.
    - 2001 Audi Allroad - 6sp Manual 01e - EPL Stage 2 Tune - Arnott Gen 2's - Hotchkis Sway Bars - True 3" to 3" SSAC Downpipes - Magnaflow Exhaust -

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Good deal, I just bought one today myself for 1800. Pics to follow!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patbastard View Post
    Good deal, I just bought one today myself for 1800. Pics to follow!
    Nice! It’s crazy how rare these are becoming, but when they pop up on the non-enthusiast market they’re always super cheap!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Had the windows tinted Friday, makes a decent difference to the appearance of the car. Will bite the bullet and buy some real parts this week. Think I’m going to tackle the suspension first.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Just picked up a set of 18x8 B6 Ultrasport wheels for my winter set up, great part is that they only cost me $100 from a buddy. They’re pretty beat up, so I dropped them off at “Hub Cap Annies” to be stripped down and powder coated, he painted them purple then tried to plasti-dip them.

Winter tires also arrived today! I went with the New Continental SI in a 245/45 in order to match the Allroad’s stock 225/55

Some nice meaty winters! Ready for the snow to hit in a few months.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ninesix View Post
    Nice! It’s crazy how rare these are becoming, but when they pop up on the non-enthusiast market they’re always super cheap!

Yeah, I've always loved the look of them but never could get my hands on one, I'll probably keep this one until it falls apart. Yours looks awesome!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patbastard View Post
    Yeah, I've always loved the look of them but never could get my hands on one, I'll probably keep this one until it falls apart. Yours looks awesome!
    I’ve been looking on and off for about 2 years and then out of the blue one shows up at the thrift store down the street. Life is unpredictable!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 allroad 2.7t 6mt, 2006 VW Passat Komfort, 2004 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t

Nice find! Looks like she fell into the right hands.

AZ Member #

Awesome build so far. Any updates?