Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Four Rings blitz2190's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Quattro, 2.7T swap Stage 3 APR 6 speed
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliusmac View Post
    Yeah but you were swapping from A6 to A4. both GUR and HHU are S4's B6 6speed's Autos.. Can't find info on the differences though.
    still worth noting if you have to swap the flanges, which you shouldn't but figured I would mention it.
    Last edited by blitz2190; 11-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    2.7T Swap Wiring Guide (Psst this is a link)
    New Build In progress built 2.7 STK 2004 B6 A4- Thread and pic to come

Established Member Two Rings pauliusmac's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'll keep an eye on that. Though ZF said it should be straight fit, just TCU with mecha i should swap from GUR. Mechanically it's the same gearbox though. Atleast that's what i understood from ZF. Thanks for input blitz
    If anyone has GUR gearbox, would save me a ton of nerve cells though
    2004 Moro Blue S4. Bone Stock, and will always be under my watch.

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you get a used trans, get the zip kit, mech to VB seal and the 4 sealing sleeves that seal the valve body to the trans body. (Cobra transmission has them IIRC).

You'll also need an intermediate plate (the part that sandwiches between the VB halves).

With those parts, the fluid and filter changed, you'll very likely be happy with the transmission performance.

My only concern is that you're getting the work done by Level 10........

I trust them as far as I can throw them. Too many documented shady practices (i.e. selling valve body 'upgrades' that consist of a couple of washers behind the pressure regulator spring)

Is there another shop in your area that could install the trans and other VB bits?
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

AZ Member #

Im getting job done by RSWorx. I replaced the VB, rebuilt it basically and i still got P0736. So no way that two VB or TCU’s are bad. I dont jave any more funds to blow on this trans thing. Really, im already thinking about parting car out.

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pauliusmac View Post
    Im getting job done by RSWorx. I replaced the VB, rebuilt it basically and i still got P0736. So no way that two VB or TCU’s are bad. I dont jave any more funds to blow on this trans thing. Really, im already thinking about parting car out.
    Well at a minimum, call Cobra transmissions and get a new mechatronic to valve body seal and the 4 sealing sleeves. They're under $100 and it will ensure that the new transmission won't suffer a premature failure as these parts are known to crack.
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

AZ Member #

Will do. First i have to get a 100% Working trans before i even attempt to do something. When i get that, then i'll see what i can do

AZ Member #

Well, another update.

Handed car over to another shop that specializes in Transmissions. Maybe new set of eyes will see something that other shop overseen. Will post as soon as i get something from them

Intermittent ESP light comes on and goes after battery change. Comes on usually when slowing down, and goes off when picking up speed, so will look into that as well whether it's related.

Established Member Two Rings Velox's Avatar
    AZ Member #

And what about something like this:

Vehicle speed sensor

The Vehicle Speed Sensor measures vehicle speed. If it fails or malfunctions the automatic transmission may not operate properly. It may also cause the automatic transmission to go into failsafe mode making it appear that the problem is more severe than it actually is. Recently, a customer came in believing he would need a complete transmission overhaul. After diagnosis, it was determined that it was only a speed sensor issue costing over $3000 less. That's obviously quite the savings.

AZ Member #

Hmm.. might be. But how to check that? Or where that sensor is located. It might be that, but it might not be. Most likely its something wrong mechanically. Cause regardless of speed, reverse is causing most issues, and the gearbox itself is all over the place? Could that sensor cause such extensive issues?

AZ Member #

Well.. Transmission has to get pulled. Internal Pressure Issue. So decided to pull engine and transmission together, and do the timing as well while we're close to have piece of mind. Will Rebuild the whole trans + Timing guides, seals, tensioners, gaskets, rear main seal etc etc etc.. Should get it back monday or tuesday, depending on how damaged the trans is (waiting for necessary parts). RSW couldn't figure it out, while tiny transmission shop did all that free of charge within 1hour of dropping of the car. TCU, Mechatronics, Solenoids got checked out. Communications between TCU and ECU are normal. So i wasted $2,000 on fixing something that most likely wasn't broken. I was told "most likely Your valve body is out. replace Valve body, it SHOULD fix it". Good thing that i didn't pay 3.500$ for a new one. I understand that i took chances and approved everything myself, along with my own parts, but shop like this, should've known better and most decisions were made consulting them. Not mad at anyone in management though, but mechanics should've at least did the tests and diagnosed the issue, instead of hinting "might or might not". Now the trans will have to get rebuilt anyway, and $2000 spent on labor in RSW are worthless. John at RSW helped out a lot, besides that, nothing positive. never going back there again.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Should have just done a manual swap. I bought an entire swap kit for $1500 shipped...tranny, flywheel, axels f+r, driveline, rear diff etc.....

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

AZ Member #

Yeah, i could've, but didn't want to. Driving around NYC and North NJ, can't justify to swap to manual. It's just not for me (though in EU had only manuals so driving one isn't an issue). And do add to that, it would add up on labor, and im on a tight budget already (thanks RSW). But thanks Vinny for all the tips and help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12