Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

General Parts Inquiry

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone. So, I'm looking for some general information on some stuff and it's all kinda broad so I'm condensing it into one thread, and hopefully some of you guys will have answers.

The first one, is what's the width difference of an S5 and RS5? I've got a place where I can buy the body panels for somewhat inexpensive, and made me have the idea of maybe putting RS5 body panels on my S5 to give it a meaner look. It'd be pretty labor intensive, and I'm not really sure about the whole quarter panel changing. But it will still be a pretty good chunk of change just to buy, paint, and then possibly buy hardware if needed. Lastly related to this, would I need a new bumper skin for the rear and fronts to go along with this?

Does anyone know of a place where I can get the pre-face lift LED tail lights and necessary coding to install them? My B8 S5 has the normal halogen or whatever they are tail lights and I'd like to get the LED ones. Also related to this, I like the look of the clear side markers on European A/S/RS 5's. Is there a way to get these in the US and have them work like normal?

Without buying an adapter off somewhere like Amazon, is there any way to get music streaming over bluetooth? Or, related to this, does the B8.5 MMI screen fit/work in the B8 Audi's? I know the B8.5's have a slightly nicer screen if I remember, being color depth wise. Perhaps it makes more sense to update the whole MMI system to the B8.5's?

I think I've got more questions, but, that's all for now.

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

1) you'll also need the RS5 front and rear bumpers as they are wider to match up with the quarter panels/fenders.

2) You can buy prefacelift LED taillights new, eBay, or part outs. Kaufatech makes an adapter but from what I've heard experiences have been poor. You'll need wiring and coding from what I understand.

3) Aside from cutting open your headlights, the only other way to get clear corners is to buy European assemblies. They will work fine provided you get the ones that match your current lights. You can buy those new, or on eBay.de.

4) without buying an adapter like tune2air (which is going to be the easiest method by far), you are going to need to do some retrofitting. You can and people have retrofitted the 3g and 3g+MMI into the older 2gmmi cars. It takes some coding, some wiring harnesses, and all of the equipment from a 3g system (screen, headunit, control panel).
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #

For all that work sell the S5 and get a used RS5...
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: Toyo / ECS / Pollen / Thule / Birdshit /Scratches / NAV+ / Broken Camera / Springs that I never mounted / BC Forged / etc.

Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    1) you'll also need the RS5 front and rear bumpers as they are wider to match up with the quarter panels/fenders.

Are you sure about that? Haven't I seen guys put RS5 bumpers on the A5/S5? I think the RS5 is only wider where the wheel wells flare out, no?

Established Member Two Rings SeattleiteA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by RockJGC View Post
    Are you sure about that? Haven't I seen guys put RS5 bumpers on the A5/S5? I think the RS5 is only wider where the wheel wells flare out, no?
    You're both right - if you get an aftermarket "RS5 Style" bumper (front is all I'm aware of, there are a few brands) you will not need to replace the quarter panels so they match up. But if you want an OEM RS5 front/rear bumper than you would need to replace all 4 quarter panels to match up to the wider bumpers.

Doors, roof, and hood are the only body parts that S5's share with RS5's.

I'm with @HMS, just sell your S5 and get a used RS5 - unless you want to do FI modifications and make the S5 crazy fast...
    2013 [R]S5//Ibis w Black Int//TiOptics//B&O//vagcom tweaks//20" HRE FF01 //Conti DWS06 285/30
    --To Do List: Euro tails, x-pipe, KW HASs, etc etc
    2013 Q7 3.0T S-Line Prestige//Lava Grey Pearl w Black Int//Tech Pkg//S-Line Plus Pkg//Black Optics// (Wife's)
    ====
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige//Sport//Quartz Gray w Black Int//Full LEDs//Black Optics//S6 Carbon Trim//Injen Intake (SOLD)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

I figured it would just be easier to sell the S5 and buy an RS5. Honestly the biggest reason (aside from it being a bit out of budget currently) for not going with an RS5 was I wanted a manual and the RS5 seems to be more of a pain to work on/maintain with the extra airboxes in the engine bay and knowing it will have more expensive parts "just because it's an RS."

I've seen some kits from BKS tuning that give you all wiring and coding things needed, but, do the B8.5 tail lights fit seamlessly on the B8? I like the 8.5's LED tail lights a bit more.

New head lights are kind of expensive for such a minor thing as well, so I may just live with the orange.

As far as the bluetooth thing, I have seen a bunch of those little adapters on Amazon, but many of them have mixed reviews. I'd rather have something that "just works" with the car's system to use for phone. I've heard all those adapters sometimes don't work well with Android phones either, but then again, that could be user error.

Established Member Two Rings SeattleiteA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

check with Alex @ europrice.us for the FL tail conversion (and get the Euro ones) - I think they are a 1:1 fit but do require the wiring/coding, which Alex provides.
    2013 [R]S5//Ibis w Black Int//TiOptics//B&O//vagcom tweaks//20" HRE FF01 //Conti DWS06 285/30
    --To Do List: Euro tails, x-pipe, KW HASs, etc etc
    2013 Q7 3.0T S-Line Prestige//Lava Grey Pearl w Black Int//Tech Pkg//S-Line Plus Pkg//Black Optics// (Wife's)
    ====
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige//Sport//Quartz Gray w Black Int//Full LEDs//Black Optics//S6 Carbon Trim//Injen Intake (SOLD)

Senior Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have a search on A5OC, a guy on there fitted RS5 panels to his S5 cab, it’s a huge task with the cutting and removal of the rear quarter panels, this is no bolt on conversion. Also budget for a full repaint, the RS5 trunk, bumpers and all ancillaries to fit the panels and bumpers.

As said above, selling yours and buying an RS would be a cheaper option

Here’s the link, the picture on post 1 should be enough to help you appreciate the work involved.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/build-thr...t-hearted.html
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    I figured it would just be easier to sell the S5 and buy an RS5. Honestly the biggest reason (aside from it being a bit out of budget currently) for not going with an RS5 was I wanted a manual and the RS5 seems to be more of a pain to work on/maintain with the extra airboxes in the engine bay and knowing it will have more expensive parts "just because it's an RS."

I've seen some kits from BKS tuning that give you all wiring and coding things needed, but, do the B8.5 tail lights fit seamlessly on the B8? I like the 8.5's LED tail lights a bit more.

New head lights are kind of expensive for such a minor thing as well, so I may just live with the orange.

As far as the bluetooth thing, I have seen a bunch of those little adapters on Amazon, but many of them have mixed reviews. I'd rather have something that "just works" with the car's system to use for phone. I've heard all those adapters sometimes don't work well with Android phones either, but then again, that could be user error.
    Soooo you wanna buy bumpers, and quarter panels, have them painted to match, fiddle with alignment, Ecodes, etc? That alone is upwards of $6k - not including labor costs. A 2013 RS5 will be had for 40s now.

40k-6k = 34k x 5% interest = 35.7K / 60 = $595 a month? That's pebbles. This is not me telling you how to spend your hard earned money, you do what you think is best, I'm simply offering an alternative.

Plus, your wannabe Rs5 S5 will never sell for what you put into it. You are pissing money away my friend if you go that route unless you're Urkurish and you're just batshit crazy and wanna build soemthing that's never been done before (seriously, kudos to that guy).

And my 13' RS has 75k Miles. I drive it like the idiot I am. No problems whatsoever and not anymore expensive than an S5. Do your research, check your assumptions and run the numbers and then draw your own conclusions.
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: Toyo / ECS / Pollen / Thule / Birdshit /Scratches / NAV+ / Broken Camera / Springs that I never mounted / BC Forged / etc.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

SeattleiteA6, I'll do so, thanks for the tip.

James, that's definitely far more involved than I'd like to get. I'd maybe consider doing the RS5 trunk though. I need to look into how it's wired, if it requires replacing the entire harness that's a pain in the rear. If it's just one harness that runs to the main switch panel around the shifter that would be much more manageable.

Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '05 Camry

AZ Member #

You can make the S5 look good with the Xenonz RS bumper conversion

http://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p180/_...onversion.html

A few guys have done this now and it looks great. The trunk can be bought as a whole kit with control box and dash switch to complete the look. This would save you $$$$ and give you 80% of the look.
    Doug convinced me

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Quote Originally Posted by HMS View Post
    Soooo you wanna buy bumpers, and quarter panels, have them painted to match, fiddle with alignment, Ecodes, etc? That alone is upwards of $6k - not including labor costs. A 2013 RS5 will be had for 40s now.

40k-6k = 34k x 5% interest = 35.7K / 60 = $595 a month? That's pebbles. This is not me telling you how to spend your hard earned money, you do what you think is best, I'm simply offering an alternative.

Plus, your wannabe Rs5 S5 will never sell for what you put into it. You are pissing money away my friend if you go that route unless you're Urkurish and you're just batshit crazy and wanna build soemthing that's never been done before (seriously, kudos to that guy).

And my 13' RS has 75k Miles. I drive it like the idiot I am. No problems whatsoever and not anymore expensive than an S5. Do your research, check your assumptions and run the numbers and then draw your own conclusions.
    It's not that it was significantly more money, it's mostly due to the fact that I wanted a manual car. And the guys in service at the Audi dealership I used to work at all said the RS5 was more expensive to maintain. So, I'm obviously not going to put that much work into it. Doesn't make sense.

And I'm not worried about resale value.

AZ Member #

I dont see why the rs5 would be any more expensive to maintain. That sounds like typical dealership handwavium.

Like mentioned before, you could just get the xenonz front bumper if you really want. Personally I think the b8 S5 looks great as is, maybe a front lip and diffuser to spice things up. I would just do the ecodes, led tails, and MMI upgrade. Save the body money (realistically probably looking at 10 to just drop the car off and have the paint look close to original) and instead put it into some JHM gofast parts.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #

Is is a little more expensive, the 10ltrs of Mobil 1 was an eye opener for me on its first service, front brake rotors are $1000 more on the RS over the S, it all adds up pretty quickly.
    Doug convinced me

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    I dont see why the rs5 would be any more expensive to maintain. That sounds like typical dealership handwavium.

Like mentioned before, you could just get the xenonz front bumper if you really want. Personally I think the b8 S5 looks great as is, maybe a front lip and diffuser to spice things up. I would just do the ecodes, led tails, and MMI upgrade. Save the body money (realistically probably looking at 10 to just drop the car off and have the paint look close to original) and instead put it into some JHM gofast parts.
    Honestly, that's most likely what I'll do. The RS5 body panel was more just for question. I think I'm not even going to do the Xenox bumper, just the honeycombe foglight bezels and grille.

I keep hearing this "ecodes" thing, what is that? I'd like to get the B8.5's LED tail lights but I think the shape is SLIGHTLY different and I'd need a B8.5 rear bumper skin to really make it fit nicely.

Still looking for some info on updating the MMI.

Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '05 Camry

The b8.5 tail lights do fit on the b8, but there is a very slight bulge on one corner, so it doesn't sit completely flush. Many people have learned to live with it as it's hardly noticable. For others who are more anal about everything being absolutely perfect, they couldn't keep them on. When fitted it still makes a good seal with no gaps so water doesn't get in.
    As for ecodes, there are front and rear ecodes. The front ones have no orange reflector, but also have better lenses in the headlights that allow for a brighter light and sharper cut off edge. The rear ecodes get rid of the halogen side bulb that is present in the NA version taillights, allowing for the LED line in the tail light to be lit alone, and increasing the asthetic appeal of the LED line. Also they add an orange blinker to the taillight, which looks better than the NA version which is all red.

Do you have nav? If not, pioneer made a head unit that is specifically made for Audi B8/B8.5 but only in Europe. I have heard of someone who installed it here in the us and managed to get us maps from pioneer and uploaded it successfully. You can also switch the old mmi unit for the newer 3g+ mmi in the b8.5s. There is also the option of changing the system to an Android based system that integrates with the Audi programming. A lot of this info is available in the B8 A4 forums and if you conduct a search.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Ecode are just euro spec headlights. They have clear corners.

You could do the prefacelift led tails. They don't look as nice as the new ones but they do look pretty good.

I don't have a write up for 2g mmi to 3g mmi on hand but with enough googling you can find stuff.
    The Awesome™

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Alright everyone, thanks for the input! I'll be back soon after looking into some of that stuff. You guys rock lol

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HMS View Post
    For all that work sell the S5 and get a used RS5...
    Automatic only... yeah... thanks. :)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    Alright everyone, thanks for the input! I'll be back soon after looking into some of that stuff. You guys rock lol
    Good luck man! I feel you on the manual but man the rs is a beaut!