Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Detailing newb need some help

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just bought a 2011 Black A4 Avant. I do not have a garage so it will be parked outside in full sunlight. Please help me keep it looking as good as possible.

I understand the 2 bucket method. Never used it before but I have read about it. This is the first car I will be "detailing" and not just washing every once in a while.

I have 2x 5 gallon buckets from home depot
    I have a cheap $99 electric pressure washer. Will this work? Should I use it?

Everything by hand no electric polishers. I don't want to ruin my paint.

I'm willing to put in the time and effort required. It will be detailed in my driveway in full sunlight. I have a pop-up canopy if I need that.

That's about it, what else do I need and where should I get it? Can I get what I need for under $100?
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Established Member Two Rings gahigalaba's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4

Find AMMO NYC on youtube. I've learned so much from Larry and his videos.
    2001.5 S4 Laser Red Avant
    2017 Golf Alltrack SEL

Veteran Member Four Rings itsmatt33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    I just bought a 2011 Black A4 Avant. I do not have a garage so it will be parked outside in full sunlight. Please help me keep it looking as good as possible.

I understand the 2 bucket method. Never used it before but I have read about it. This is the first car I will be "detailing" and not just washing every once in a while.

I'm willing to put in the time and effort required. It will be detailed in my driveway in full sunlight. I have a pop-up canopy if I need that.

That's about it, what else do I need and where should I get it? Can I get what I need for under $100?
    sounds solid to me. As for what products you should buy. As a beginner I would just go with a kit already put together by chemical guys, if not i suggest:

a good mitt-i use mircofiber from chemical guys
    car soap-i like mr. pink
    a foam cannon to use with your pressure washer-amazon has the mtm one for cheaper than most
    wheel cleaner- sonax full effect or chemical guys diablo
    wheel brush
    interior all around cleaner spray
    leather cleaner/conditioner
    good microfibers for drying
    clay bar or clay mitt
    good wax

all that will probably cost you closer to 200
    GTX2867r Audi a4 b6 TQM RECARO|HRE|ER|IE|APR|AWE|034
    build page here
    IG: @matthewee

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks I'll check those out. Does a foam cannon replace buckets? They look like they will use a lot of shampoo, do they?

I don't know if my pressure washer can hook up to a foam cannon it doesn't have a quick connector on it. It has one of those built in adjustable nozzles.

Edit: I'm looking into getting a replacement handle for my pressure washer that does have a quick connect.

Do you guys just use the foam cannon like a pre-wash?
    Last edited by Novarider; 10-11-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

The foam ads another step. After your initial rinse, foam the car down and let it dwell to loosen the dirt and debris. Rinse again.....then do the two bucket wash. Then clay, then polish, then wax/seal.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks I'll check those out. Does a foam cannon replace buckets? They look like they will use a lot of shampoo, do they?

I don't know if my pressure washer can hook up to a foam cannon it doesn't have a quick connector on it. It has one of those built in adjustable nozzles.

Edit: I'm looking into getting a replacement handle for my pressure washer that does have a quick connect.

Do you guys just use the foam cannon like a pre-wash?
    The two bucket method is meant to rinse off your mitt and then coat it in fresh soap. I tend to only use one bucket with my mitt and then it to rinse it off after wiping a panel.
    I have found that I actually use less soap with the foam cannon since im not spilling water and soap all over the place but rather getting it directly on the car. you fill only a bit of soap in the bottle and the rest with water. The MTM cannon comes with quick connect or screw connect.

I usually rinse well with water using my pressure washer, then soap cannon, scrub it down (rinse in bucket), maybe soap and scrub once more depending on how dirty the car is, and then final rinse.
    build page here

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Here is my recent wash on the GTI for winter prep:
    Rinse/Wash Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner two bucket method
    Dry
    CarPro Iron X spray
    Rinse/Dry
    Clay with Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge & Spray
    Rinse/Dry
    Hand wax with Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint

My normal wash on both cars -
    Exterior:
    Rinse/Wash Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner two bucket method. Thinking of something like this down the line -Using a Foam Cannon (Lance) with an Electric Pressure Washer
    Clean wheels with soap/water and wheel woolies brushes.
    Dry with leaf blower and dry off with Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel.
    Use Meguiar's D170 Hyper Dressing for tires and trim.
    Wipe car down with Meguiar's D155 Last Touch Spray Detail.
    At random I will use Detailer's Pro Series Wheel Glaze on the wheels to help with brake dust.

Interior:
    Vacuum
    Clean interior with Meguiar's D149 Quik Interior Detailer but will be going back to 303 Aerospace Protectant!
    Clean windows with Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate.
    Lexol leather for steering wheel

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11 Second Turd, Satan's Chariot aka Minivan

I would also suggest your look into and read up on Rinseless Wash solutions like Wolfgang Uber Rinseless. If you're not going to correct/polish since you don't have the equipment, I would at least suggest a hydrophobic sealant like CarPro Reload or like. It will offer outstanding protection and help keep the water and dirt from adhearing as much vs traditional waxes.

Pressure washer won't hurt. Some people a set on foam cannon's, etc. but they are more fun than effective. There are side by sides done and I've done my own as well and the biggest advantage they have is speed. Overall though, you could pre-soak with a garden sprayer and Wolfgang as noted above and see the same results. There's a nice youtube vid showing the side by side. I'll have to find it for you.

You won't ruin it. Read up and study some of the forums but overall using a safe dual action polisher is no more difficult than washing the car. In fact, you're far more likely to mar the paint drying it than if you were to try and polish it.
    definitely do not wash or seal in the sun. You will spot the paint and given the hardnesss of most of the suburban water supplies, you'll etch the clear coat and make it more difficult to remove water spots.

Overall two bucket is okay, but honestly, just use a good microfiber sponge and spray it off after each wipe. Find one with a strap that your hand can fit into so you are less likely to drop it.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic Infinity Q50S Red Sport | Twin Turbo 400hp/350tq & AWD
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks I'll check those products out.

No option but to wash it in direct sunlight. I don't have a garage and the way my house is oriented the driveway is always in the sun.

Can't you burn your paint if you don't use ae electric polisher correctly?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks I'll check those products out.

No option but to wash it in direct sunlight. I don't have a garage and the way my house is oriented the driveway is always in the sun.

washing in sun is fine if you work smart. I would suggest waiting til dusk to wax otherwise its a pain. Maybe consider buying an ez up
    build page here

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11 Second Turd, Satan's Chariot aka Minivan

Thanks I'll check those products out. No option but to wash it in direct sunlight. I don't have a garage and the way my house is oriented the driveway is always in the sun.
    Wash it in the early morning or later in the evening on sunny days. Worst case pray for clouds and no rain :)

Yes/No. Look into a dual action/orbital polisher like a Griot's Garage Boss Unit or simliar. It's very difficult to burn paint with an orbital. Rotary is a different beast all together and not one I'd recommend for a beginner.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic Infinity Q50S Red Sport | Twin Turbo 400hp/350tq & AWD
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I purchased some Chemical Guys Mr pink shampoo and a $15 foam cannon from Amazon. I tested them yesterday on my wife's black minivan as a guinea pig. The cannon worked great, lots of foam and fun to use. I'm not very impressed with the Mr pink shampoo tho. It left what looks like dried soap streaks. Even after hand washing. I have never seen this happen with cheap soap from Walmart that I used in the past. I did not dry it but I never have in the past either. Unfortunately I bought a gallon.

I think I'm going to try Adam's shampoo. Even tho it's much more expensive (by the gallon at least) they have a video online showing him using it in sunlight and letting it dry then it rinses clean off. Thoughts?

Here is the form cannon I used if anyone is interested.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DK...IJL&ref=plSrch

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I know alot of people seem to like this - 4.5 out of 5 stars(639)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OTW646...=311OH0D7OG2BZ

and seen people use this foam cannonn https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CE78VO8...=311OH0D7OG2BZ

I haven't used either just seen them mentioned alot on forums etc.