Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Q5 shut off during driving

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have the following problem with my 2012 Audi Q5 3.2 quattro:
    while driving, my Q5 just shut off and the ESP(?) Light and "Do not exceed 4000rpm" error message together with some more messages (don't remember which ones as it happened so quick).
    does anyone know what that is? Any experience with something like that?
    Also after it shut off I couldn't start it for a couple mins. But after that it started and everything was back to normal again. As if nothing happened.

Thanks for your help...

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

best advice is to have it scanned via vag com for any faults.

Veteran Member Three Rings TexasDfwS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Voltage regulator or battery?
    B8.5 2013 S4 Ice Silver, DSG, Uni 2+TCU, Prestige Model, MMI, B&O, Fine Napa, Sports Diff, audi assist, 19" Peelers, Carbon Atlas Inlays.
    Q5 3.0 2017 Ibis W/ BO with S-line

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda%20CR-Z%2C%20Classic%20Mini

Quite possibly the alternator could be on it's way out. It'll cause all sorts of lights to come on.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WMeister View Post
    Quite possibly the alternator could be on it's way out. It'll cause all sorts of lights to come on.
    But would it cause the car to just shut off?

AZ Member #

yes a dead alternator would cause car to die

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

The car wouldn't have enough juice to start up afterward if a bad alternator was the cause, nor would the issue have disappeared.
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Is the battery the original? If so the altinator might not be able to keep up with demand. The voltage regulator might be the culprit but if the battery is the original then that's where I would start.
    B8.5 2013 S4 Ice Silver, DSG, Uni 2+TCU, Prestige Model, MMI, B&O, Fine Napa, Sports Diff, audi assist, 19" Peelers, Carbon Atlas Inlays.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Sounds more like a crank position sensor going bad. For the car ever take a while to start and crank for a while before firing?

Could also be a loose or fraying ground strap in the engine bay. If it’s making intermittent contact it could be jostling loose and killing the car then making contact again allowing you to start it like nothing happened. Make sure they’re all snug.
    Last edited by Charles.waite; 10-09-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #

I just copied this from the B8 S4 forum,

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    Mine acted similarly a couple of months ago. I could repeat the issue if I had the A/C on and sat for long periods of time (e.g., several stop lights in a row, crowed parking deck). I replaced the battery (nearly 5 year old battery) and have not had the problem since the new battery came up to full charge. This happened in July so I've had a couple of fault free months.

AZ Member #

Established Member Two Rings BierJager's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Highlander

I would also guess battery. Obviously different electrical systems but our former Mazda CX9 behaved similarly when the battery went South. The traction control lights and others on the dash, loss of power and the whole bit as you describe. Ironic there's a battery indicator light.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Ok thanks guys I will try the battery if it happens again...
    Here is what I did... I went to a European car garage and they read all the codes. It had 10 codes. Just to try the cheapes option, they switched 2 relays and told me to try it for a week. Drove around for a bit and it disn't happen again...yet... I will try for another couple days and see. A relay is only between $30 and $40, so its really the cheapest option.
    I will let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks alot everyone...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had that happen on my BMW, it was a loose battery connection.

Veteran Member Three Rings One Nice Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Check the battery. If you have older battery (not changed since 2012) I would suggest getting new one. This winter will be brutal for older battery.

Veteran Member Four Rings A U D I's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Ok thanks guys I will try the battery if it happens again...
    Here is what I did... I went to a European car garage and they read all the codes. It had 10 codes. Just to try the cheapes option, they switched 2 relays and told me to try it for a week. Drove around for a bit and it disn't happen again...yet... I will try for another couple days and see. A relay is only between $30 and $40, so its really the cheapest option.
    I will let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks alot everyone...
    Not sure why they replaced relays to see if that fixes it. I hate when places do the cheapest “fixes”. All those add up and you still may have the problem. A alternator or battery is a maybe but you would have gotten voltage warning fist before anything. A warning for not exceeding 4k is so you don’t damage the motor or transmission. If you can post up what your codes were and mileage so hopefully we can help better. Don’t want to wait till it messes up again on you.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

In their defense, nobody wants to pay for a proper diagnosis anymore so shops just revert to playing parts darts.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Veteran Member Four Rings A U D I's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    In their defense, nobody wants to pay for a proper diagnosis anymore so shops just revert to playing parts darts.
    If you are driving a Audi, you should be inclined to have it serviced at a proper shop or with someone proper.

Not trying to sound rude.
    It’s just better then wasting time and money on parts you don’t need. When these so called “European” shops don’t really know what they are doing well, they make it a nightmare for people who should be enjoying their Audi.