Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Antimatter's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Help me detail my brilliant black S4!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, I want to detail my brilliant black Audi S4 myself and here are the steps I'm thinking of taking. Please advise me!

STEP 1: Manual power wash at car wash to get grime/bugs off
    STEP 2: Clean wheel with wheel cleaner/brush
    STEP 3: Sponge and shampoo wash with 2 bucket method
    STEP 4: Rinse the whole car
    STEP 5: Clay bar (what is a good lubricant?)
    STEP 6: Rinse the whole car
    STEP 7: Sponge and shampoo wash with 2 bucket method
    STEP 8: Dry with shammy cloth
    STEP 9: Wax/Polish the car

That is all I can think of.. if you know of good products, please suggest. I would rather buy locally. but if not then I can buy online

Thank you!
    2011 Audi S4 Brilliant Black / Black-Tuscan Brown Interior. DSG, Navigation, Sports Rear Differential, Nappa Leather, Supercharged Badge. Borla Exhaust System.

Active Member Two Rings DetailScience's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm a fan of Adam's Polishes for most products, they are easy to use for those new to detailing and produce phenomenal results.

1. Wash your wheels using Adam's or Sonax. Rinse the wheel, spray the cleaner on, agitate and rinse.
    2. You don't necessarily need to power wash the car then use the two bucket wash, a single two bucket wash is likely adequate. Dry with a microfiber towel or blow dry (preferred).
    3. Clay using detail spray as the lubricant, make sure you have high quality microfiber polishing cloths.
    4. Polishing. How much polishing will depend on your desired results, if this is your first detail I'd avoid the orbital and do it by hand.
    5. Wax or Sealant. Carnauba wax will give you the glossiest finish, but a paint sealant will last longer (~6 months vs. 1 month for Carnauba).
    6. Glazing, this is entirely optional, but adds depth.

Like I mentioned above, Adam's Polishes makes all of the products to accomplish the steps I listed, and I would highly recommend their products. They're a locally owned company in CO and their products are made in the USA. I used to do some work for them when they were just starting out; they're all car guys who stand behind their product.
    Bagged 2015 Scuba Blue allroad
    DetailScience Build Thread
    Instagram: @jburgmaier

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just did a winter prep on one of our cars - Looks like you are on the right track.

-Wash Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner/Dry
    - Rinse/Dry
    -CarPro Iron X spray
    - Rinse/Dry
    - Clay with Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge & Spray
    - Rinse/Dry
    - Hand wax with Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DetailScience View Post
    I'm a fan of Adam's Polishes for most products, they are easy to use for those new to detailing and produce phenomenal results.

1. Wash your wheels using Adam's or Sonax. Rinse the wheel, spray the cleaner on, agitate and rinse.
    2. You don't necessarily need to power wash the car then use the two bucket wash, a single two bucket wash is likely adequate. Dry with a microfiber towel or blow dry (preferred).
    3. Clay using detail spray as the lubricant, make sure you have high quality microfiber polishing cloths.
    4. Polishing. How much polishing will depend on your desired results, if this is your first detail I'd avoid the orbital and do it by hand.
    5. Wax or Sealant. Carnauba wax will give you the glossiest finish, but a paint sealant will last longer (~6 months vs. 1 month for Carnauba).
    6. Glazing, this is entirely optional, but adds depth.

Like I mentioned above, Adam's Polishes makes all of the products to accomplish the steps I listed, and I would highly recommend their products. They're a locally owned company in CO and their products are made in the USA. I used to do some work for them when they were just starting out; they're all car guys who stand behind their product.
    For step 3, are there good clay/lubricant products in a local auto store?
    Also, after clay, would rinsing with water be okay or should I wash with car soap and sponge again?

I also have some light clear coat scratches, how should I address those?

Thank you
    2011 Audi S4 Brilliant Black / Black-Tuscan Brown Interior. DSG, Navigation, Sports Rear Differential, Nappa Leather, Supercharged Badge. Borla Exhaust System.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chip_ View Post
    I just did a winter prep on one of our cars - Looks like you are on the right track.

-Wash Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner/Dry
    - Rinse/Dry
    -CarPro Iron X spray
    - Rinse/Dry
    - Clay with Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge & Spray
    - Rinse/Dry
    - Hand wax with Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint
    Awesome, I will look into these products. Thank you

Active Member Two Rings DetailScience's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post
    For step 3, are there good clay/lubricant products in a local auto store?
    Also, after clay, would rinsing with water be okay or should I wash with car soap and sponge again?

I also have some light clear coat scratches, how should I address those?

Thank you
    Generally speaking I avoid products at the local auto store, but I am picky because I detail professionally. In a pinch Meguiar's clay would work and I would use their detail spray, just don't buy any of their products for black cars, it's all marketing BS and simply tinted darker (which reduces sheen).

After claying with detail spray you don't need to rinse the car, the contaminants will be picked up by the clay and the detail spray will leave you with a clean surface ready for polishing. Light clear coat scratches can be addressed with hand polishing, it will just take some extra time versus machine polishing with an orbital. If you have any questions during you can PM me and I can get in contact with you directly, I'd be more than happy to lend some advice.
    Bagged 2015 Scuba Blue allroad
    DetailScience Build Thread
    Instagram: @jburgmaier

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11 Second Turd, Satan's Chariot aka Minivan

Hey guys, I want to detail my brilliant black Audi S4 myself and here are the steps I'm thinking of taking. Please advise me!

STEP 1: Manual power wash at car wash to get grime/bugs off
    STEP 2: Clean wheel with wheel cleaner/brush
    STEP 3: Sponge and shampoo wash with 2 bucket method
    STEP 4: Rinse the whole car
    STEP 5: Clay bar (what is a good lubricant?)
    STEP 6: Rinse the whole car
    STEP 7: Sponge and shampoo wash with 2 bucket method
    STEP 8: Dry with shammy cloth
    STEP 9: Wax/Polish the car

That is all I can think of.. if you know of good products, please suggest. I would rather buy locally. but if not then I can buy online

Thank you!

Wash: At this point it doesn't matter with what but I do love Gold Class. Good stuff for sure. After, I like CarPro Reset. Wheel wise, I'm a huge fan of Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. Once you're done washing, grab a refreshment and let the water sheet off for a few minutes. Be sure to put the car in shade and treat with Iron-X to do a chemical decontamination of Ferrous bits stuck in the clear. You'll see it bleed purple on the ground as it won't be as noticeable on black. Rinse thoroughly. Use more Gold Class in a small pale and mix up really soapy water and do your physcial decontamination with some Nano Sponges. I like the sponges as they use the soapy water as lube and are small enough to get a good hands-on feel and work extremely well. I use both medium and fine grades. Use a medium if your car hasn't been done in a while. Rinse again, let the car sheet dry.

In terms of drying, never use a dry towel. Stick to a 16x16 good quality microfiber. Griot's PFM aka Pure Freaking Magic are excellent. Dampen it with some Wolfgange Uber Rinseless as you go and dry. I'll have more on drying in another post. Right now it's not as critical as you're going to be polishing it after anyway.

In terms of correction, without pics I can't really suggest a whole lot but there are dozens of great combo's of products that will all work well. Happy to go over polishers, pads and products as needed. In the end a high-grade polish is what will create the shine and for a LSP (last step product), I tend to use ceramic coatings. McKee's 37 has a new SiO2 formula that is excellent. Cquartz is a great one and good stand-by for me and of course 22PLe is also good. Coatings on Brilliant Black are the way to go. They provide additional protection against micro marring which it's prone to. They provide the "wet candy-like" appearance, especially on black. Lastly, they will deepen the color 1-2 shades and it's very noticeable on black thus you'll get the added depth that most long for from the finest 'nauba waxes. These new coatings give you that too.

Glad to contribute more later. As a Brilliant Black owner and a detailer, I'm happy to chime in anytime.

Here are a few shots of mine:

Candy Effect:

Reflection wise: Black Mirror Like

2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS | Technology Package | Bang & Olufsen | Sports Differential | Adaptive Damping Suspension | Nappa Leather | Carbon Inlays | 19" Niche M131's on PSS | Peelers on LM32's for Winter | ECS TRUFit Air Intake | Strut Tower Brace | Premium Shield Elite Clear Bra | Ceramic Tint | VLED VX3 LED Fogs | Cquartz Ceramic | RS4 Grille | Viper Smart Start

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Help me detail my brilliant black S4!

Use fusso wax, it is amazing and will last for 6-9 months of daily driving. Only use it if you clay and polish though

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Thank you for the details, I might PM if I have more questions :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thank you for the details, I might PM if I have more questions :)
    anytime. you can call me too. I'll text you my number. I've chatted and worked with a number of folks here too.
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS | Technology Package | Bang & Olufsen | Sports Differential | Adaptive Damping Suspension | Nappa Leather | Carbon Inlays | 19" Niche M131's on PSS | Peelers on LM32's for Winter | ECS TRUFit Air Intake | Strut Tower Brace | Premium Shield Elite Clear Bra | Ceramic Tint | VLED VX3 LED Fogs | Cquartz Ceramic | RS4 Grille | Viper Smart Start

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Wash: At this point it doesn't matter with what but I do love Gold Class. Good stuff for sure. After, I like CarPro Reset. Wheel wise, I'm a huge fan of Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. Once you're done washing, grab a refreshment and let the water sheet off for a few minutes. Be sure to put the car in shade and treat with Iron-X to do a chemical decontamination of Ferrous bits stuck in the clear. You'll see it bleed purple on the ground as it won't be as noticeable on black. Rinse thoroughly. Use more Gold Class in a small pale and mix up really soapy water and do your physcial decontamination with some Nano Sponges. I like the sponges as they use the soapy water as lube and are small enough to get a good hands-on feel and work extremely well. I use both medium and fine grades. Use a medium if your car hasn't been done in a while. Rinse again, let the car sheet dry.

In terms of drying, never use a dry towel. Stick to a 16x16 good quality microfiber. Griot's PFM aka Pure Freaking Magic are excellent. Dampen it with some Wolfgange Uber Rinseless as you go and dry. I'll have more on drying in another post. Right now it's not as critical as you're going to be polishing it after anyway.

In terms of correction, without pics I can't really suggest a whole lot but there are dozens of great combo's of products that will all work well. Happy to go over polishers, pads and products as needed. In the end a high-grade polish is what will create the shine and for a LSP (last step product), I tend to use ceramic coatings. McKee's 37 has a new SiO2 formula that is excellent. Cquartz is a great one and good stand-by for me and of course 22PLe is also good. Coatings on Brilliant Black are the way to go. They provide additional protection against micro marring which it's prone to. They provide the "wet candy-like" appearance, especially on black. Lastly, they will deepen the color 1-2 shades and it's very noticeable on black thus you'll get the added depth that most long for from the finest 'nauba waxes. These new coatings give you that too.

Glad to contribute more later. As a Brilliant Black owner and a detailer, I'm happy to chime in anytime.

Here are a few shots of mine:

Candy Effect:

Reflection wise: Black Mirror Like

Are you talking about nanoskin sponges?
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Motos, lots of em

I have the same kind of paint. Brilliant Black.

Recently I did a paint correction and sealed it with Meguires paste wax and a glaze.

I'm still seeing nano scratches from the lightest of hand touches and brushing of clothes, like near door handles etc.
    But I'm not anal / OCD enough to daily rinse off the slightest amount of dust on my daily driver and I don't want to take a microfiber duster to the paint. I tried using detail spray and a microfiber cloth, but unless I rinsed off the car, it just made it worse.

Would ceramic coatings prevent nano scratches or is that fact of life with black cars?
    Last edited by asp125; 12-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    B7 A4 Cab, brilliant black, RS6 peelers. (Other toys: VFR800, Street TripleR, CanAm Spyder)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I'm still seeing nano scratches from the lightest of hand touches and brushing of clothes, like near door handles etc.
    But I'm not anal / OCD enough to daily rinse off the slightest amount of dust on my daily driver and I don't want to take a microfiber duster to the paint. I tried using detail spray and a microfiber cloth, but unless I rinsed off the car, it just made it worse.

Would ceramic coatings prevent nano scratches or is that fact of life with black cars?
    Yes, what you're seeing a ceramic coating will help prevent. They are not scratch protectors but they will reduce the sensitivity to micro marring which is what you're describing. Eliminating the cause however is what you will need to do and that involves different products and techniques. If it is indeed due to rubbing a butt up against it squeezing into the car in say a small garage then you will need to avoid that entirely.