Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

Gear selector display flashing.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know this is a comming problem but would like some advise please as I get the flashing lights now and then,however the car still behaves and drives normally?

The lights so far do not come on when moving along, only if I touch the shifter when starting the car it seems, but somtimes if I select reverse the lights flash but I can still go backwards? then when I select Drive again the lights stop flashing?

So I have a question, could this be a loose sensor at the shifter somewhere perhaps rather than the dreaded gearbox ECU? Also is it more likely to be the ECU on the gearbox or the control module inside the car?

Also If it is the ECU then I would need to get the codesread but do not have a device to do thisas I only have a simple OB2 reader etc, so what’s the best method of getting this equipment? If it is the ECU then I would be genuine second hand probably, but does anyone have more info on what gets faulty within the ECU and is there a repair process out there? I have seen videos of the metal internal contacts coming loose that need to the solder to be reflowed.
    Last edited by A1EK; 09-14-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Established Member Two Rings MRCT's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Your slamming thru all the gears to fast. Try slow down a bit. Also wen its flashing.. go thru the gears slowly. Then go to D. Flick left to shift and back to D. See if that stops the flash. Happened to my car and thats what i did wen it flashes every time and it goes away. But right now im abt to throw the car out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MRCT View Post
    Your slamming thru all the gears to fast. Try slow down a bit. Also wen its flashing.. go thru the gears slowly. Then go to D. Flick left to shift and back to D. See if that stops the flash. Happened to my car and thats what i did wen it flashes every time and it goes away. But right now im abt to throw the car out

Thanks for the reply, I have manged to do the trick of flick left tot he shift and back to D too and it does work, im surprised at how delicate the shifter is though, my old Mercedes autobox was bullet proof !!

AZ Member #

I know.. its just wear and tear and bad maintenance for my car. Thats why im getting rid of it without transfer of title.. i dont want anyone else to be sold a lemon. I rather they take it and strip it.. but yeh the tranny seems very sensitive once the dreaded flashing lights

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MRCT View Post
    I know.. its just wear and tear and bad maintenance for my car. Thats why im getting rid of it without transfer of title.. i dont want anyone else to be sold a lemon. I rather they take it and strip it.. but yeh the tranny seems very sensitive once the dreaded flashing lights

Do you think it is more likely to be the gearbox ECU that I should change to fix the issue?

AZ Member #

Yeh.. it would most likely be the tcm.. common malfunction.. trans control module or something along those lines.. and if u got clunking with it then a rebuild wud be good.. a change of all the teethed plates.. for some they try a full tranny flush first sometimes that works with flush and new fluid top up.

AZ Member #

Only thing is its costly unless u can diy. u will need to pull the trans out to get to the tcm.. r u having flashing lights only or clunking aswell?

AZ Member #

No clunking, its only flashing lights I get sometimes when I select reverse, but the car still moves smoothly in reverse just does not show the R as all the lights flash. Then when I select D again to move forward the lights usually stop flashing and function normal? This is why I am wondering if its the gear shifter moduel or the transmission ECU?