Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings MadAboutCars's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MY16 Audi S6, MY18 Audi SQ5 (on order), MY12 Audi Q7 4.2L TDI S-line (sold)

S6 trans leak at 30,000km

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just took my MY16 S6 in for a service and I've been told they will need it back for two days to fix a transmission leak. It's obviously not major as they booked it back in in 2 weeks time and I haven't seen any signs of a leak on the garage floor. I have however noticed a diff oil type smell in the garage, after I've driven it hard. Has anyone else had this?
    2016 Audi S6 - Tornado Grey, 20" 5 spoke wheels, Sports seats, Sports diff, Standard exhaust, Chrome trim, Matrix LED headlights, Sunroof, 360 camera, Head up display, Active lane/side assist with adaptive cruise control, Rear seat heating, Power assisted doors, Electric rear blind and side blinds, Homelink

Mods: Bigger shift paddles, Air filter box holes, K&N air filter, 20" x 9" ET35 matte grey RS6 wheels, Michilin PSS 255 35 20, Vag-com changes

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not on an S6, but I had a transmission leak on my RS5. The filter came loose sometime during my 4000 miles ED trip and put a dent in the oil plan. They discovered it during the 5k service and had to replace the oil pan, which took three attempts, because two of the new oil pans got bent during shipment. The third one was finally undamaged and all is good since. If they have to replace your oil pan, make sure they measure it to make sure it seals properly, otherwise you'll end up going back and have it fixed again. I only noticed the leak the second time, because I happened to have a flat tire and once I jacked up one side of the car, the pooled oil started to drip out.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had a seal that started leaking at the transmission /propshaft connection on my 2014 S6. Never saw any signs of oil on my garage floor but I could smell oil after a long drive. Believe it or not, also had it at around 30 000km

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    Not on an S6, but I had a transmission leak on my RS5. The filter came loose sometime during my 4000 miles ED trip and put a dent in the oil plan. They discovered it during the 5k service and had to replace the oil pan, which took three attempts, because two of the new oil pans got bent during shipment. The third one was finally undamaged and all is good since. If they have to replace your oil pan, make sure they measure it to make sure it seals properly, otherwise you'll end up going back and have it fixed again. I only noticed the leak the second time, because I happened to have a flat tire and once I jacked up one side of the car, the pooled oil started to drip out.
    Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear you had to go through that.
    2016 Audi S6 - Tornado Grey, 20" 5 spoke wheels, Sports seats, Sports diff, Standard exhaust, Chrome trim, Matrix LED headlights, Sunroof, 360 camera, Head up display, Active lane/side assist with adaptive cruise control, Rear seat heating, Power assisted doors, Electric rear blind and side blinds, Homelink

Mods: Bigger shift paddles, Air filter box holes, K&N air filter, 20" x 9" ET35 matte grey RS6 wheels, Michilin PSS 255 35 20, Vag-com changes

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shirwin View Post
    I had a seal that started leaking at the transmission /propshaft connection on my 2014 S6. Never saw any signs of oil on my garage floor but I could smell oil after a long drive. Believe it or not, also had it at around 30 000km
    Thanks. Certainly sounds the same. I thought the smell was a bit weird. Reminded me of cars I had many years ago.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So my car goes in on Tuesday for the trans leak repair. After talking to my friendly sales rep, I've turned it from a hassle, of not have my car for two days, to something I'm now looking forward to. My loan car is going to be an RS6 Performance. I haven't driven the performance yet, so I'm really looking forward to a two day test drive.

I'll also try to find out more about where the leak is and what has to be done to fix it.