Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Coolant smell after heat exchanger install...hose clamps?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I did a DIY heat exchanger install a month ago and have noticed a light coolant smell under the hood sporadically, and under moderate acceleration this morning. The HE was new, but I reused all the expandable hose clamps. Are they considered one-time use? Im wondering if they just not as tight as they should be and are letting a little coolant past under pressure.

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I reused the clamps and had no issues... I hate those clamps.

You are probably just smelling some spilled coolant.

I'd watch the level for a few days and bleed everything multiple times and you should be good to go.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | AEM W/M | ...
    1/4 on E35 (3.26PR): 11.436 @ 118.48 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #

Sounds good. Its worth noting I did overfill the resourvoir in the beginning at it settled to cold MAX and has kind of just stayed there. Is there any risk something's actually hurt? I'm guessing a leaky IC would have real coolant losses and HG would have a host of symptoms.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Spring clamps are usually pretty good stuff. If you re used any on any old hoses they have to be oriented perfectly like they were before otherwise you can get some slight leakage. Only takes a drop or two to get a coolant whiff, are you sure it isn't puddled up between the intercooler bleeder screws? I'd keep an eye on coolant levels over the next few days, I actually had a whiff before when I did a haphazard repair on the intercooler bleeder screw before I replaced it. Slight slight drip from the seal under the screw while running.
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by theweebabyseamus View Post
    Sounds good. Its worth noting I did overfill the resourvoir in the beginning at it settled to cold MAX and has kind of just stayed there. Is there any risk something's actually hurt? I'm guessing a leaky IC would have real coolant losses and HG would have a host of symptoms.
    Are you running divorced?

Dealership overfills the normal coolant tank on purpose. Annoyed me last time I took my car in as I had to suck the excess out.

I keep my engine loop slightly above the min line(Cold) when hot it as at the max line.

I keep my SC loop a few inches down from the top of the RES. The last thing I want is pressure to build up in that loop and pop the IC.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | AEM W/M | ...
    1/4 on E35 (3.26PR): 11.436 @ 118.48 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 04Moroblue View Post
    Spring clamps are usually pretty good stuff. If you re used any on any old hoses they have to be oriented perfectly like they were before otherwise you can get some slight leakage. Only takes a drop or two to get a coolant whiff, are you sure it isn't puddled up between the intercooler bleeder screws? I'd keep an eye on coolant levels over the next few days, I actually had a whiff before when I did a haphazard repair on the intercooler bleeder screw before I replaced it. Slight slight drip from the seal under the screw while running.
    I did reuse some old hose, but it didn't go to the same fitting as it originated at, maybe I should go in and pull the ends and cut an inch or so off and reinstall. The bleeder screws SEEMED good but that would be plausible, as the coolant would drip onto all kinds of hot sections.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did reuse some old hose, but it didn't go to the same fitting as it originated at, maybe I should go in and pull the ends and cut an inch or so off and reinstall. The bleeder screws SEEMED good but that would be plausible, as the coolant would drip onto all kinds of hot sections.
    yup mine didn't result in much coolant loss... I just checked my "repair" after every drive to ensure no cataclysmic explosions. I got cocky then skipped a few days and found pink residue around one bleeder screw. Was enough to get some coolant whiffs.
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    Are you running divorced?

Dealership overfills the normal coolant tank on purpose. Annoyed me last time I took my car in as I had to suck the excess out.

I keep my engine loop slightly above the min line(Cold) when hot it as at the max line.

I keep my SC loop a few inches down from the top of the RES. The last thing I want is pressure to build up in that loop and pop the IC.
    No, just the HE was swapped. Ill pull some coolant anyways, sounds like a good measure. Is anybody running Water Wetter through their whole system? I thought about adding some since Im not divorced but just not sure itll be worth it without separating the loops.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If divorced have you checked rubber grommet where it separates from stock coolant overflow tank, they crack and leak. I change mine every year or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Moogas1 View Post
    If divorced have you checked rubber grommet where it separates from stock coolant overflow tank, they crack and leak. I change mine every year or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not divorced at this point, but good to know for the future.

Senior Member Four Rings fitzydude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yeah I had coolant wiffs for about 2 weeks after ams install
    2010 S4 / 6MT / 034 RSWB & Motor Mounts / AMS Cooling / EC Alu Kreuz & inserts / B12 suspension / CTS SC & JHM OD Pulley (PR:3.139) / JHM STS & Stg 4 clutch / Magnaflow w/cutouts / RS-51 / Roc-Euro / USP clutch line / Chipwerke 3-1 / Revo EPL Revo

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fitzydude View Post
    Yeah I had coolant wiffs for about 2 weeks after ams install
    Yeah in retrospect it might have been a good idea to rinse off all the lines to get rid of the spilled coolant.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah in retrospect it might have been a good idea to rinse off all the lines to get rid of the spilled coolant.
    You still could, if it's still happening. After coolant work etc I always pour water over the radiator and all the coolant lines, helps out a lot plus I can make sure I'm not dropping cat murdering sauce everywhere.