Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings dazed1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Track + brakes, Build week 36+

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    How many of you have taken the RS3 on track already? How did the brakes hold up? I don't have my car yet, but was on track with a couple new TTRS & a RS3 this past weekend at Laguna Seca.

The TTRS had a complete soft pedal after the 1st session, and the RS3 lost all its pad before the end of 1 session. I am told that cars built after week 35/36 have an improved brake setup. So want to bump this up again when cars with build week 36 & over start coming in.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    How many of you have taken the RS3 on track already? How did the brakes hold up? I don't have my car yet, but was on track with a couple new TTRS & a RS3 this past weekend at Laguna Seca.

The TTRS had a complete soft pedal after the 1st session, and the RS3 lost all its pad before the end of 1 session. I am told that cars built after week 35/36 have an improved brake setup. So want to bump this up again when cars with build week 36 & over start coming in.

Never heard of this, what did they say they changed? You said you were on the track with the ttrs and rs3 were you driving or getting second hand feedback from others in those said cars.
    2018 RS3 Panther Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WAF View Post
    Never heard of this, what did they say they changed? You said you were on the track with the ttrs and rs3 were you driving or getting second hand feedback from others in those said cars.
    Didn't drive either of them. Rode with them since I didn't want to track the RS5 this time around.

The TTRS brakes went soft (looking at foot work) and had to be flushed after every session or two. Pads were not an issue as there was plenty of meat left. He was running raybestos brake pads.

The RS3 was literally smoking, had no pad left, and the rotor looked like shit.

As for new brakes / changes - that is something I heard second hand from someone. An Audi engineer was at our event and had mentioned it. So curious on differences when we get our cars. I track with this group regularly (am a BoD of audi club golden gate chapter).

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

hmm news to me interested in hearing more im probably one of the unlucky ones if thats the case.
    2018 RS3 Panther Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WAF View Post
    hmm news to me interested in hearing more im probably one of the unlucky ones if thats the case.
    Yeah, in a way I'm glad I did not go pick up a TTRS. but, I would assume existing folks would have some sort of remediated fix.

The TTRS calipers turned orange / catalunya red after a couple of sessions. He's also running Motul 660, which made it very surprising and apparent that there is a design flaw somewhere.

On the bright side, the oil cooler runs wonderfully. Temps showed as 240-245 around turn 6/7, by the time we got to turn 11, they dropped down to 225-230.

Veteran Member Four Rings Hyphy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

They changed the hats on the fronts. Can't confirm the rears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nick
    I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hyphy View Post
    They changed the hats on the fronts. Can't confirm the rears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Do you have any pictures of the differences? And do you have one with a newer build (not possible this fast I would think)?

AZ Member #

Track + brakes, Build week 36+

It appears from this pic (apr shop rs3 and mine) that the entire rotor/hat parts are different. I doubt one is better than the other considering they're the same size. However, I'm not sure if there are any weight differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

There are two sets of rotors out there (directional vs random) and which one you get doesn't seem to be tied to build week. I asked my salesman if he could somehow request the new rotors but he said that nobody he spoke to was even aware of the different parts.

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

I'd imagine pads and fluid should do the trick. 370mm is plenty of rotor.
    -Hayden

Established Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It appears from this pic (apr shop rs3 and mine) that the entire rotor/hat parts are different. I doubt one is better than the other considering they're the same size. However, I'm not sure if there are any weight differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That APR car was on the same ship as my car, and I have the brake set up on the bottom.

Wonder how they decide which rotors to use. Mine also definitely has the hats on the bottom.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In for ttrs/RS3 stock brake setup to put on my S3 😂😂

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings r32breeze's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

Where can I get some ceramic pads for track use? I am not happy with the stock pads at all. Are the stock pads semi-metalic by the way?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by r32breeze View Post
    Where can I get some ceramic pads for track use? I am not happy with the stock pads at all. Are the stock pads semi-metalic by the way?
    RS3 uses the same pads as the B8.5 RS5, 2012+V10 R8, etc. So any of those pads will work. I'd suggest changing the rotors & fluids as well if you're going to be tracking it.

I used to run Pagid RS29 on the RS5, but could go a softer pad for the RS3 as its much lighter.

Established Member Two Rings Dr Bill's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did either the RS3 or TT-RS have issues passing sound at Laguna Seca? Or were they forced to go too slow from the brake issues to even matter?

There are Audi Sport Performance parts for the TT-RS that include brake ducts. Not sure if they will make it to the US or not though. Better rear calipers would be a great upgrade. I hate those rinky-dink ones they use.
    2016 Boxster GTS
    2018 Audi TT RS - coming in December
    2018 GT3 - coming in January

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    RS3 uses the same pads as the B8.5 RS5, 2012+V10 R8, etc. So any of those pads will work. I'd suggest changing the rotors & fluids as well if you're going to be tracking it.

I used to run Pagid RS29 on the RS5, but could go a softer pad for the RS3 as its much lighter.
    yes, i will be tracking the car and will start with the pads first. Under heavy braking RS3 didn't satisfy me. I want to change the pads first. What do you think about the yellow stuff? Have you ever used them?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1967 442, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Any updates on the difference in rotors and which hold up better. I just picked up a 2017 RS3 and will be hitting Road America next month. I can say that the Girodisc rotors work great (had them on my S4 and someone I know just put them on their TTRS. I'm tempted to order a set as spares in case I have issues....
    The "Go Fast" Car.....
    369" of Oldsmobile power by Rocket Racing
    best of 9.68 @ 136 mph and a 1.242 60'
    http://mbworld.org/forums/signaturep...ic160318_1.gif

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bill View Post
    Did either the RS3 or TT-RS have issues passing sound at Laguna Seca? Or were they forced to go too slow from the brake issues to even matter?

There are Audi Sport Performance parts for the TT-RS that include brake ducts. Not sure if they will make it to the US or not though. Better rear calipers would be a great upgrade. I hate those rinky-dink ones they use.
    No issues with sound. But all 3 cars were stock for exhaust. So that's good.

rear calipers are not an issue. Rear brakes are barely used.

AZ Member #

yes, i will be tracking the car and will start with the pads first. Under heavy braking RS3 didn't satisfy me. I want to change the pads first. What do you think about the yellow stuff? Have you ever used them?
    One was using raybestos on the TTRS. The other was using some form of EBC, not sure on which ones. The pads were not an issue. There was plenty of material. The pedal just went soft. This was even after they were using Motul 660.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Any updates on the difference in rotors and which hold up better. I just picked up a 2017 RS3 and will be hitting Road America next month. I can say that the Girodisc rotors work great (had them on my S4 and someone I know just put them on their TTRS. I'm tempted to order a set as spares in case I have issues....
    Girodisc is in the process of making new rotors I believe. Same 370mm, so that should be good. Would absolutely buy them when available. Rather use slotted than drilled.

AZ Member #

You're not happy at all? I'm curious..
    Nick

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

You're not happy at all? I'm curious..
    No, I will be tracking the car pretty soon.