Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Diamond stitching (Noob Q)

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    OK....I'll admit that it may be a stupid reason to buy a car, but I'm in the market for an S/RS5 and really want the diamond stitched interior. I've looked at hundreds of online ads and can't find a single diamond stitched s5 variant....WTF? I'm new to Audi but I'm positive this was an option. How rare is it? The Alcantara seats are a distant "second" choice, as well as taking a set of leather to the upholsterers.

    I'm still waiting to see if I can live without manual trans.

    Insight/Opinions/bashing welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    343053
    Location
    Colorado

    I'm under the impression that diamond stitching wasn't on the S5/RS5 until 2018.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56405
    My Garage
    couple of Jeeps and a 328 cab
    Location
    NC

    No diamond stitch option in the B8/8.5 that I know of. I love the alcantara, and my recommendation would be to test drive with the DSG in sport mode and see if you miss a manual.
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings HMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 28 2015
    AZ Member #
    329970
    Location
    BOS

    No diamond stitching on the B8.5. Only an option in the b9 S5
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: Toyo / ECS / Pollen / Thule / Birdshit /Scratches / NAV+ / Broken Camera / Springs that I never mounted / BC Forged / etc.

    Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run

  5. #5
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    OK....I guess I should have done more homework. I assumed the diamond stitch was an option on previous models since it is on the current model. Thanks for the info guys.

    I really do like it though....Maybe an S6 is not so bad :(

  6. #6
    Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    343053
    Location
    Colorado

    S5 to S6 is quite a price gap, keep in mind. The base price is nearly a 20k difference.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

  7. #7
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Since it is my thread, I'll take it off course :P

    Here's the story: I just moved to OH from FL. I'll be here for about 3-4 years before going back to DC. So, I want a fun AWD car. I'm currently DD my wife's 2009 328i, which is ok, but starting to show it's age. I've got upgrade-it is, but am not in a rush to buy let's call the timeline 6 months. I don't really like the newest batch of BMWs and have always liked the subtlety of the Audis. I (wrongfully) assumed the RS5 was an upgraded S5. I have a '67 Shelby Mustang sitting in the garage if I want attention or really want to bang gears. This car needs to be both reliable and "luxurious" while still maintaining a fun factor.

    Here is my thought process for a DD:

    I definitely want an AWD car.
    It HAS TO have a usable back seat (daughter 5yrs old)
    An S5 has manual transmission (+)
    An RS5 has the V8 (++)
    Neither have the interior that brought me to the Audi mark(-)
    I've always liked the lines of the S5, even more than the B9 (but I haven't seen a B9 in person)

    The diamond stitched interiors really caught my eye.
    The S6 has everything but is "bigger" (S4 is too small) It is also a little boring as far as aesthetics go.

    I'm looking in the $50k range (preferably lightly used). What would you pick and why?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    343053
    Location
    Colorado

    If the S4 is too small, I'm guessing the S5 is way too small for you anyway. If you're thinking of the S5 Sportback as your solution, those didn't come to the US until 2018 (B9).
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

  9. #9
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by HazeMyth View Post
    If the S4 is too small, I'm guessing the S5 is way too small for you anyway. If you're thinking of the S5 Sportback as your solution, those didn't come to the US until 2018 (B9).
    Maybe I am talking out of my ass. I equate the 4 with my 328i sedan. When we bought it, we test drove an A4 but preferred the BMW (the dealer was also an asshole so that may have jaded my POV). I really do like the B9 interiors, but (like you mentioned) the jump to an S6 is not insignificant.

    That said, I don't like the SB. I'd be looking at the coupe model. I'm not a big guy (5'10, 190) it just seems the 4 door is a compromise on the smaller models.

  10. #10
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 15 2017
    AZ Member #
    395592
    Location
    Austin TX

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Maybe I am talking out of my ass. I equate the 4 with my 328i sedan. When we bought it, we test drove an A4 but preferred the BMW (the dealer was also an asshole so that may have jaded my POV). I really do like the B9 interiors, but (like you mentioned) the jump to an S6 is not insignificant.

    That said, I don't like the SB. I'd be looking at the coupe model. I'm not a big guy (5'10, 190) it just seems the 4 door is a compromise on the smaller models.
    From your list of needs, an S6 seems like the best option. Its only downside is the admittedly boring exterior but perhaps you can slap on a cool bodykit to make it more aggressive. Back seat of A5/S5/RS5 is tiny and hard to access.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 01 2014
    AZ Member #
    279598
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X5 50i (family-friendly monster)
    Location
    NoVA

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Since it is my thread, I'll take it off course :P

    Here's the story: I just moved to OH from FL. I'll be here for about 3-4 years before going back to DC. So, I want a fun AWD car. I'm currently DD my wife's 2009 328i, which is ok, but starting to show it's age. I've got upgrade-it is, but am not in a rush to buy let's call the timeline 6 months. I don't really like the newest batch of BMWs and have always liked the subtlety of the Audis. I (wrongfully) assumed the RS5 was an upgraded S5. I have a '67 Shelby Mustang sitting in the garage if I want attention or really want to bang gears. This car needs to be both reliable and "luxurious" while still maintaining a fun factor.

    Here is my thought process for a DD:

    I definitely want an AWD car.
    It HAS TO have a usable back seat (daughter 5yrs old)
    An S5 has manual transmission (+)
    An RS5 has the V8 (++)
    Neither have the interior that brought me to the Audi mark(-)
    I've always liked the lines of the S5, even more than the B9 (but I haven't seen a B9 in person)

    The diamond stitched interiors really caught my eye.
    The S6 has everything but is "bigger" (S4 is too small) It is also a little boring as far as aesthetics go.

    I'm looking in the $50k range (preferably lightly used). What would you pick and why?
    My basic criteria are not too different from yours. I need to have a daily driver that holds the family comfortably and that goes fast, fast.

    In terms of size:

    I had an RS5 convertible up until I totaled it in an accident a few weeks ago. My two boys, 8yo and 6yo, never had a problem getting in and out of the back seat. For the past couple years, both were using just the booster seats. Both were in full-size car seats when I first got the car. Getting those into the car was doable, but a bit of a pain, unless I did it with the roof open, in which case it was stupidly easy.

    The other thing I'll throw out there is that, IMO, the interior appointment in the B8 or B8.5 is light years better than the B9. The B9 looks like it has moved downmarket on the interior kit (switchgear feels cheap; lots of vinyl instead of carbon fiber, etc.). The electronic wizardry is way cooler in the B9, provided you get the virtual cockpit. If you get the standard cluster, I doubt you'd see much difference.

    I'm in an RS7 now. The kids definitely like the 4 door better. The interior is very nice. The electronics are last generation relative to what is in the B9, but a generation ahead of what was in my B8.5. But, if I wanted to buy the coolest computer on wheels, I'd have bought a Tesla P100d.

  12. #12
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by Safelder View Post
    I'm in an RS7 now. The kids definitely like the 4 door better. The interior is very nice. The electronics are last generation relative to what is in the B9, but a generation ahead of what was in my B8.5. But, if I wanted to buy the coolest computer on wheels, I'd have bought a Tesla P100d.
    Good gouge, thanks! I do love the Model S but just can't swing it right now. I don't think the Model 3 will live up regarding the interior, but time will tell. I see used S6s in the mid $50s to 60s, so maybe I need to give them some more consideration (as well as actually driving an S4).

    I still like the idea of an RS5 and the back seat only needs to seat a child 2-3 times a week. If we go on a family outing we normally take the JGC.

    I'm not fond of the sport back look in either the 5 or 7. If only Audi would have done an RS6 coupe for the US!

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 01 2014
    AZ Member #
    279598
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X5 50i (family-friendly monster)
    Location
    NoVA

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Good gouge, thanks! I do love the Model S but just can't swing it right now. I don't think the Model 3 will live up regarding the interior, but time will tell. I see used S6s in the mid $50s to 60s, so maybe I need to give them some more consideration (as well as actually driving an S4).

    I still like the idea of an RS5 and the back seat only needs to seat a child 2-3 times a week. If we go on a family outing we normally take the JGC.

    I'm not fond of the sport back look in either the 5 or 7. If only Audi would have done an RS6 coupe for the US!
    I've loved the A7/S7/RS7 since it came out. It only got better post-facelift. We looked at an S7 for my wife on her last lease, but she went SUV (BMW X5 50i). I had to have an RS to replace the RS, and the RS3 was too small.

    Before the RS5, I had two S4s--a B7 (the last V8 model) and B8 (delivery #2 from my dealership). Loved both, and found both plenty big, even back in the days of the rear-facing car seats.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings snocat17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399356
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Prestige Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra
    Location
    Salem, MO, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Here is my thought process for a DD:

    I definitely want an AWD car.
    It HAS TO have a usable back seat (daughter 5yrs old)
    An S5 has manual transmission (+)
    An RS5 has the V8 (++)
    Neither have the interior that brought me to the Audi mark(-)
    I've always liked the lines of the S5, even more than the B9 (but I haven't seen a B9 in person)

    The diamond stitched interiors really caught my eye.
    The S6 has everything but is "bigger" (S4 is too small) It is also a little boring as far as aesthetics go.

    I'm looking in the $50k range (preferably lightly used). What would you pick and why?
    I sat in the B9 a few weeks ago. The seats look nicer, but don't feel any different than the Sport seats on the B8.5. I didn't think the appointments felt cheap, but I don't like the digital gauges. Old school with white and red LED's on my S5 are much better!

    Have you looked at a used Benz with 4MATIC? It's a little more flashy, but might be the luxury you're looking for. Get an AMG and you'll be in the RS5 performance area, too.

    I never liked the look of the 650ix's, but that is another AWD V8 option. Slightly more pricey unless you find one about 4 years old.

    I'm sure they've been discontinued, but Volvo made an AWD coupe that competed with the S5 not too long ago.

    After all considerations, I'd still take an RS5 with Sport seats in your position.
    -Joe
    2016 Audi S5 Cabriolet Prestige white w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    343053
    Location
    Colorado

    Actually, CLA45 AMG might be worth looking into. All wheel drive, solid performance and fairly spacious. They're slightly larger than the S4 but smaller than the S6. I was considering the CLA45 and the S5, but ultimately landed on the S5 due to the better interior.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 27 2016
    AZ Member #
    369422
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    For what it’s worth, a guy I know here in Oz has an S6 and he loves it. He’s particularly taken with the whole “sleeper” look of the car - a bit dull to look at but goes like a rocket! He sums it up as Jekyll and Hyde.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 27 2014
    AZ Member #
    149899
    Location
    Dubai

    Diamond stitching was available on the B8 chassis if you opted for the sports bucket seats. Not sure if those seats were available in the US market so you not be aware of them.

    I think they will be my next upgrade.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 07 2011
    AZ Member #
    69138
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Location
    NYC
    Items for Sale

    Diamond stitching (Noob Q)

    if you REALLY want to, spend a grand or so to custom upholster your seat to diamond stitch. very doable. its prob a great solution for those who love their b8.5 rs5 but want diamond seats, which is a lot of people

    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

    IG: bknewtype

  19. #19
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by bknewtype View Post
    if you REALLY want to, spend a grand or so to custom upholster your seat to diamond stitch. very doable. its prob a great solution for those who love their b8.5 rs5 but want diamond seats, which is a lot of people.
    Yes! This is a very reasonable option IMHO and would be less expensive in the long run. I guess I need to start hanging around a local stealership for a couple of test drives between the S6 and the RS5. Thanks for the help fellas!

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 07 2011
    AZ Member #
    69138
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Location
    NYC
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Yes! This is a very reasonable option IMHO and would be less expensive in the long run. I guess I need to start hanging around a local stealership for a couple of test drives between the S6 and the RS5. Thanks for the help fellas!
    b8.5 rs5 is one of my fav audis of all time, and I love the diamond stiching on my TTs. if I had a rs5 already, I would prob find a way to retrofit the newer seats into it. a local member here is highly considering reupholstering his rs5 seats to a lunar silver diamond pattern which I think will look SICK

    good luck. both the s6 and rs5 are great cars, but I feel the s6 is a bit underwhelming in the exterior department. fast as balls for sure, but it doesn't have that much of a presence, imo of course
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

    IG: bknewtype

  21. #21
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by snocat17 View Post

    Have you looked at a used Benz with 4MATIC? It's a little more flashy, but might be the luxury you're looking for. Get an AMG and you'll be in the RS5 performance area, too.

    I never liked the look of the 650ix's, but that is another AWD V8 option.
    Great suggestions. I've never seen myself in a Mercedes and honestly, the SL is the only one I really find attractive (but well out of this price range).
    The 650ix was high on my radar, but it is a BIG car. It's gorgeous on the outside, but I think the Audi interior is a cut above it. It would be at the upper end of my budget (even used), so I may revisit after getting some seat time in Audis.

    I think an RS5 w/ some custom interior and wheels may be the way to go. But I clearly have some more homework to do.

  22. #22
    Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 07 2011
    AZ Member #
    69138
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Location
    NYC
    Items for Sale

    what color are you looking for? local buddy here has a black rs5 he may b looking to unload for an incoming baby, think hes looking for mid 40's. phantom black. u can get that with a custom interior and still come under ur budget. hed prob leave the eventuri intake and supersprint exhaust as well . cpo too
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

    IG: bknewtype

  23. #23
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by bknewtype View Post
    what color are you looking for? local buddy here has a black rs5 he may b looking to unload for an incoming baby, think hes looking for mid 40's. phantom black. u can get that with a custom interior and still come under ur budget. hed prob leave the eventuri intake and supersprint exhaust as well . cpo too
    Ideally grey, but for the right price I would consider black (or possibly other colors) and have it wrapped to set it apart from the crowd.

  24. #24
    Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 07 2011
    AZ Member #
    69138
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Location
    NYC
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Ideally grey, but for the right price I would consider black (or possibly other colors) and have it wrapped to set it apart from the crowd.
    @optiondoc
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | Burger Tuning JB1
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

    IG: bknewtype

  25. #25
    Senior Member Three Rings HMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 28 2015
    AZ Member #
    329970
    Location
    BOS

    Get an S7. /thread
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: Toyo / ECS / Pollen / Thule / Birdshit /Scratches / NAV+ / Broken Camera / Springs that I never mounted / BC Forged / etc.

    Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run

  26. #26
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by HMS View Post
    Get an S7. /thread
    Me no likey SB models....but thanks for participating.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.