Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Three Rings KnewJack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've never once been bothered about a jacket, even in my 10 second cars. Maybe if I ran in a class, but I'm usually running TNT.

I also 2nd Loe 's advice about what you line up with. I had one Hellcat get terribly out of shape in the lane next to me once, luckily he never crossed the center line, but I wanted that race! Lol. When my local track switched ownership, the new owner let bikes and cars tun together. My bike runs low 9's at 150 and Ive had more than a few cars get loose running side by side with me. Very bad idea. Difficult to choose what you line up against at my track though.
    *2013 B8.5 S4
    APR Stage 2+ ECU/TCU 100oct Tune, JHM 187mm CP, Injen Intake. Stasis Touring Exhaust/ Springs & Rear Sway Bar, PLM HX.
    11.468 @ 122.06mph. 90ft DA. *Totaled* RIP

2016 B8.5 S5 Prestige - bone stock.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Dragstrip tips/tricks: Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 Race Season

Our track it's about 8 lanes that merge into 2. Part of the fun before you start is hoping you don't end up next to the young kid with 500+ hp Mustang. Your eyeing him the whole time as the lanes come together, praying

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings KnewJack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ That's crazy!
    *2013 B8.5 S4
    APR Stage 2+ ECU/TCU 100oct Tune, JHM 187mm CP, Injen Intake. Stasis Touring Exhaust/ Springs & Rear Sway Bar, PLM HX.
    11.468 @ 122.06mph. 90ft DA. *Totaled* RIP

2016 B8.5 S5 Prestige - bone stock.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    66 Shelby Cobra

Looking for tips on what people do if staging lanes are long. Is it better to turn car off and on if line is ~ 30 minutes.

If leaving the car running, to keep IAT's down, is it best to leave A/C on with temp set to max heat or max cool? I know the A/C has to be off before running down the strip :P
    2012 S4 - EPL Stage 2 E85 DP and TCU Tune, 3.25 PR, Jokerz 'Chaos' Ported SC, APR CPS, CTS Intake, AWE Touring Exhaust & Resonated DP's, Tampa AutoSports TP's, Autotech HPFP, AEM Meth (70% Meth / 30% Water), Zeitronix E-Analyzer

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AdamInKC View Post
    Looking for tips on what people do if staging lanes are long. Is it better to turn car off and on if line is ~ 30 minutes.

If leaving the car running, to keep IAT's down, is it best to leave A/C on with temp set to max heat or max cool? I know the A/C has to be off before running down the strip :P
    My most recent trip to the track I found what worked best(with my CPS setup) was to let it sit with the hood open while waiting and about 5 mins before the line starts moving run the defrost (AC) to kick fans on, and it steadily dropped my IATS from 60C to 40-42 starting which worked really well in comparison to not running the fans at all.
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Dual Pulley (3.139) GIAC/DSG Tune/APR CPS 11.884 @ 115.9
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    How bout launch techniques for 6MT guys? Clutch techniques? Ideal RPMs? TC on or off? I'm assuming on, but want to make sure.
    Traction control off (long press, not sport mode). I go around the water box. Do a burnout once past the water to clean off and warm the tires. I launch between 3800-4000 rpm, but I donít dump the clutch. I slip it, but very quickly. Dumping it will just spin the wheels for me. How quickly I release depends on the track prep for the day.
    Youíll want to adjust your method depending on track prep and the amount of power your car makes. Obviously less power adding mods means you can be more aggressive on the launch, where more hp & tq would cause more wheelspin.
    2016 S4 P+ | 6MT | Sports Diff. | Tech. Package

S4 Build Thread

2015 SQ5 P+ | H&R Sport Springs & Bilstein Shocks

Established Member Three Rings FromRagsToS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah I want to agree, but Im not sure I can conclude that quite yet since I JUST put new PS4S tires on yesterday, so they are probably still oily.

Just came back from the track and my 60fts are all over the place now with dual pulley on Race map and new tires. I spun all through 2nd and got a 2.0 60ft and still trapped a hair under 117,.... but @ 12.6 :\
    2014 S4 Premium Plus/Glacier White Metallic/6spd Manual/Sports Diff/Adaptive Damping Suspension/Black Napa Leather/19" Peelers/B&O Sound/MMI-Navi/Side Assist/Carbon Atlas Inlays

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S4

Quote Originally Posted by FromRagsToS4 View Post
    Yeah I want to agree, but Im not sure I can conclude that quite yet since I JUST put new PS4S tires on yesterday, so they are probably still oily.

Just came back from the track and my 60fts are all over the place now with dual pulley on Race map and new tires. I spun all through 2nd and got a 2.0 60ft and still trapped a hair under 117,.... but @ 12.6 :\
    My best 60í has been 1.676 launching the way I described.
    2016 S4 P+ | 6MT | Sports Diff. | Tech. Package

S4 Build Thread

2015 SQ5 P+ | H&R Sport Springs & Bilstein Shocks

Established Member Three Rings FromRagsToS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah I'm clearly not doing right (slippery tires aren't helping either) since I got better 60ft with just stage 2, trapping 10mph less

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I'm clearly not doing right (slippery tires aren't helping either) since I got better 60ft with just stage 2, trapping 10mph less
    Mine has high 300s on them and they did well so you're probably not far off on break-in. I'm not dual pulley either though.

Established Member Two Rings Phil.Lmbrt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Quote Originally Posted by KnewJack View Post
    You are one brave soul doing that with a manual.

Exhibit A.
    https://youtu.be/Une49yKY6ZY?t=38s
    Reading this thread, I am actually going to change my method once the new clutch is in next year. I was doing that because I knew that if one thing would act as a fuse in my system, it would be the clutch since it was OEM and 60k miles on it and it had already slipped a little with the CDV installed. It acted pretty good as it would slip just enough to through me out of the box quite smoothly but doing 1.8's 60 footers.

3. I'm the guy in that video.

Things to consider: I have a LWFW which is single mass, 6 puck JHM Stage 5R clutch which is super harsh and missing a marcel spring, CDV deleted with the USP SS clutch line. All those things take away driveability and smoothness. I was told to dump the clutch too, but with this setup,... Well you can see what happened. All those things combined, plus the fact that you can't preload the drivetrain meant for some really violent engagement.

I just ordered another USP clutch line and incorporated the CDV back into the loop today. The clutch pedal is easier to push in now and is much more pleasant to drive. I have to muscle the gears a little more when shifting as fast as possible now because of the delay, but launching is much less harsh on the drive train now.

I'm going back to the track tomorrow and going to try to perfect my launch and hopefully do so without any wheel hop. Wheel hop was what killed my drivetrain.
    I always wondered if there was some way of preloading the drivetrain. One could use the parking brake but it would make for shitty reaction times lol !
    2012 S4
    Brilliant Black | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O
    Unitronic Stage 2+ | Roc-Euro Intake | CTS Catback | USP Clutch Line | 034 Inserts
    Awaiting Install in Spring
    BFI Maritime Blue GS2 Knob | JHM Short Shifter | Tampa Autosports Test Pipes | CTS 187mm Crank Pulley

Established Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

I plan on doing the defroster trick as well. I didnt try it out too much because I dont have the pump mod done yet (today I will). Without the pump mod, revving it to 2k while sitting still doesnt really flow much.
    Hmmm- my pump seems to be always running 50% in VCDS no matter what I'm doing. Maybe it's a SQ5 or APR thing?? Initially I was thinking air mover, inverter and pump mod, but now I'm convinced that I don't need the pump mod for that setup to be effective. Hell- I can watch my IATs drop decently just by turning the radiator fans on with the hood open.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamInKC View Post

Pretty clearly discussed on the first page.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (93 v4) - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS - P3
    12.054 @ 113.27 (-224 DA)

Senior Member Three Rings Jroyalty7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So what do you guys do that have to travel a distance to the track? I'm driving an hour to the track tomorrow, trying to figure what the best approach is to cooling down after the drive. Just park for an hour, hood up, ice on the charger? Not planning on breaking any records but want to optimize my runs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Driving beforehand doesn't really matter.

I pass tech, go park in pits.

Pop the hood, toss ice on the charger then drop my tire pressure.

I'll give it 30 mins or so to chill then take the long way to the staging lanes.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | E40 + Meth | ...
    446WHP / 432WTQ | 11.374 @ 119.90 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Audi S5, '15 BMW 528i

Long trips are the best way to cool down a car, especially if its higher speeds. The engine just needs to be at operating temps, same with oil temps. The primary reason to cool down is for IAT, so that drive will serve you well if its hwy.
    -Loe- ('14 Audi S5 S-tronic )
    [11.001@126.08mph | +948 ft. D/A | 3.371 PR
    Technical discussions? JOIN ME!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    Driving beforehand doesn't really matter.

I pass tech, go park in pits.

Pop the hood, toss ice on the charger then drop my tire pressure.

I'll give it 30 mins or so to chill then take the long way to the staging lanes.
    Cool, cool, thank you new track for me so don't really know the layout yet but I'll figure it out tomorrow

EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Loe View Post
    Long trips are the best way to cool down a car, especially if its higher speeds. The engine just needs to be at operating temps, same with oil temps. The primary reason to cool down is for IAT, so that drive will serve you well if its hwy.
    Yup all highway... So best bet is just to hit the strip ASAP For a run or 2 then let it cool down with the hood popped and ice on the SC?