Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Audi S5, '15 BMW 528i

Dragstrip tips/tricks: Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 Race Season

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all,

Having a difficult time finding the last one, so I'm starting a new one. As many of you know, the Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 is the season that many drag racers not in the snow belt are looking forward towards. Why? It's our opportunity to run in 50-60*F temps and near 0ft D/A's for optimal performance and 1/4 mile times. Here are some tricks that I've learned along the way, and I'm hoping others can chime in on their experience with tips/tricks as well

1) Go into it having a fun time with your friends. Although I get serious when I'm behind the wheel of anyone's car, the purpose of me going is really to help my friends and have a great time away from the daily grind of work.

2) Monitor your tire pressures to ensure that they are set to whatever level you need them to be at in advance. For my particular track (well, actually for two of my tracks I go to, 39/38psi front/back works well for me and my preferred method of launching).

3) Remove unnecessary weight from the vehicle that you don't want in there: spare tire, jack, fuel levels, luggage, etc etc. I chuckle at this one because I've been known to run at 1/2 tank of fuel and spare tire/jack in the trunk. But I would still recommend removing it.

4) Remove dirt from your car. This isn't to make sure your car is nice and shiny, but it's to reduce the chance of that dirt hitting the track surface and causing the prep to become worse. You don't want to be part of the issue, you want to be part of the solution.

5) I would recommend against using tire shine...no matter the brand, that stuff does swing off the tire.

6) I would recommend against flashing your car up to the day of the track event, you'll likely end up with some strange occurrence during the run and not run optimal times. Flash a few days prior to, give the ECU time to adapt, do a few multi-gear and single 3rd gear WOT runs. during this adaptation period. **respect all laws, this will be at your own risk**

7) Practice your launch method or what you plan on doing at the starting line. On B8.5 cars, you may need to switch from D/S, to D, back to D/S to engage LC or the LC sequence.

8) Go around the water box if at all possible. Since we cannot do burn outs, this doesn't bode well for our cars.

9) Do a LC start in the "burn out" box to clean your tires

10) Log your car, Remove all unnecessary VCDS fields so you can focus on more important tables. Here is what I use:

- Engine speed
    -IGA_AD_1_KNK[0] (cyl #1 adaptation)
    -IGA_IGC_0 (cyl #1 actual)
    -IGA_IGC_2 (cyl #3 actual)
    -IGA_IGC_4 (cyl #5 actual)
    -Intake air temperature
    -Intake manifold pressure: absolute
    -Lambda probes actual: bank1
    -Lambda probes actual: bank2
    -RFP_AV

I'll explain a few items. You do not need to log vehicle speed or throttle %/angle. It's pretty clear by the RFP_AV and Engine Speed fields when you are at WOT. Additionally, you do not need to monitor Charge air pressure specified value-MAP_SP, this value doesn't really add value aside from how the ECU is reacting to various inputs, but assuming you logged days prior to and know your car is healthy, and the RFP_AV field remains at "0" at WOT, this field is not needed. Also, I did not include the field Ignition angle: actual, again this is also not needed and doesn't actually tell you the full picture of actual cylinder timing. If you add the IGA_AD_KNK[0] field back to the IGA_IGC_0 (for cyl #1) (bold above) field, this will give you a better picture of what the base timing value should be for cylinders, and from there you can deduce what the adaptation/correction value's should be for the other remaining cylinders you decide to log in terms of actual timing.

LOG your car days prior to to ensure the car is set-up correctly, your fuel is spot on etc etc... Running a 104 map with 104 octane does not always ensure that you will have 104 map performance. Although it's nice to trust your tuner, use your best judgement, logging is a valuable tool for you and for your tuner.

11) Bring ice, cool down your blower whenever possible. If your track allows for it, go for a little drive on the streets outside of the track to cool down the blower even more.

12) Do whatever it takes to get those starting IAT's at or below 40*C, this allows for optimal 60ft times (pending you are able to launch it effectively), and you'll likely end below your safety threshold. Lower IAT's allows for higher timing tables that your tune allows for, this in turn allows more effective use of the performance throughout a multi-gear run.

13) Make sure your seating position isn't in the "gangsta" style position, this is a serious event, make sure your seat reflects a proper position too...

14) 1st timers, make a few practice passes if you need to, that way you get a feel for how the car reacts to certain different variables (launch methods, IAT's, tire pressures, shift points)

I hope I covered the general basics, if anyone wants to add more things below, or even ask questions out in the open for a few to answer. Have a safe time out there guys, the fun season is about to begin
    -Loe- ('14 Audi S5 S-tronic )
    [10.976@124.86mph | +498 ft. D/A | 3.110 PR ]
    [11.066@123.03mph | +1953 ft. D/A | 3.249 PR ]
    [11.296@121.80mph | +2825 ft. D/A | 3.371 PR ]
    Technical discussions? JOIN ME!

Established Member Two Rings EricPro21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great advice/tips!
    @DAS_BLUE

2016 Audi S5: Prestige | Black Optics Package | Sport Differential | Carbon Fiber Inlays | Black/Magma Red Seats | Alcantara Interior | Bang & Olufsen | UNITRONIC Stage 2+ ECU (93) | UNITRONIC S/C Pulley | UNITRONIC Stage 2 TCU | UNICONNECT+ | Frequency Intelligent Valved Exhaust System | CTS intake | Bahama Blue Pearl Wrap | H&R Street Performance Coilovers | 19x10 ROTIFORM NUEs | 265/35 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus | Strafe Design Front Lip

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How about safety requirements based on times?

It's been almost a decade since I went to the dragstrip with an LS1 w/ 150 wet shot. Friend told me I needed a helmet, so I showed up with a hockey one. I passed tech and never got booted.

Established Member Three Rings evil35r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Rogue

Great stuff Loe! ill def update and change my VCDS logging fields make complete sense!
    S4 13 EPL cts pulley stage 2 Meth/93 file w/ DSG tune, ROC-EURO intake, custom downpipe back exhaust magnaflow res x-pipe, twin magnaflow resonators, magnaflow mufflers, ECS diff and tranny inserts, CR-15, VCDS mods, Snow Performance stage 2 meth kit.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JS81 View Post
    How about safety requirements based on times?

It's been almost a decade since I went to the dragstrip with an LS1 w/ 150 wet shot. Friend told me I needed a helmet, so I showed up with a hockey one. I passed tech and never got booted.
    Please post pictures of yourself making a pass in a hockey helmet. Please.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

yeah, they will take any closed helmet really.

Follow your track rules. Some tracks like mine don't require a cage if the vehicle is built after 2006 and you run lower than 11.5 (I think that is the time). Helmets are usually required for all S4/S5 3.0t guys as we will run lower than 14.0 at most tracks, so I would expect to bring at least a helmet.

Established Member Three Rings FromRagsToS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Also, dont forget to bring a Snell 2010-2015 rated helmet! ;)

Thanks Loe for putting this together!
    2014 S4 Premium Plus/Glacier White Metallic/6spd Manual/Sports Diff/Adaptive Damping Suspension/Black Napa Leather/19" Peelers/B&O Sound/MMI-Navi/Side Assist/Carbon Atlas Inlays

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Great tips!! I know I certainly could have used ice and some drive around time the other night when I went.
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

Established Member Three Rings evil35r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Loe View Post
    yeah, they will take any closed helmet really.

Follow your track rules. Some tracks like mine don't require a cage if the vehicle is built after 2006 and you run lower than 11.5 (I think that is the time). Helmets are usually required for all S4/S5 3.0t guys as we will run lower than 14.0 at most tracks, so I would expect to bring at least a helmet.
    Yea Richmond where I'll be going is closed helmet snell rated and no cage required. Can't wait! If anyone else lives around the Richmond track let me know when your going im about a hour drive away
    S4 13 EPL cts pulley stage 2 Meth/93 file w/ DSG tune, ROC-EURO intake, custom downpipe back exhaust magnaflow res x-pipe, twin magnaflow resonators, magnaflow mufflers, ECS diff and tranny inserts, CR-15, VCDS mods, Snow Performance stage 2 meth kit.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Great write up....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How bout launch techniques for 6MT guys? Clutch techniques? Ideal RPMs? TC on or off? I'm assuming on, but want to make sure.
    2013 S4

Established Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

Great info!

Not sure about other tracks, but long pants and closed toed shoes have always been required for me. I saw a girl get turned down in tech the other week, as she tried to stretch her capris to her ankles, lol.

I've also gotten a few words about an 'expired' helmet, and I know others here have as well. That guy still let me run, but if they are sticklers, make sure you helmet is not only Snell approved but has manufactured date in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Loe View Post
    If your track allows for it, go for a little drive on the streets outside of the track to cool down the blower even more.
    This one is funny to me, as I was definitely the only person last week constantly leaving to cruise the backroads and cool things down. I even had people ask me what I kept leaving. Ironically, I ended up having better IAT control with my car on, hood open, and defroster blasted on high heat (IATs ~10C below ambient) in the staging lanes. Hot lapping worked the best for me though...maintaining air flow over the coolers and limiting any time for stationary soak. I'd kick the defroster on immediately after the run and leave it on until I hit the box again too. The difference between good and bad times were ALL about IATs for me. I imagine the S4 is all about IATs and launch technique/traction.

Oh yeah- open the throttle up prior to the launch for a few seconds. This will also drop the IATs a few degrees. For the SQ5, we load up the torque converter, and this process of mashing the gas drops IATs 3-5 degrees for me. The launch/shift program will cancel after 5 sec or so, so I try to load it up for a good 4 sec every time for max IAT drop.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (93 v4) - iABED/Fluidampr 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube - AWE Touring - 034 mounts - 21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS
    12.158 @ 112.47 (192 DA)

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have to drop my tire pressure to around 30 to hook up properly with my Conti DWs. This is likely a result of a poorly prepped track and not the stickiest tires.

I normally drive through the waterbox, then essentially launch the car at 5k rpms and let it spin through first.

This accomplishes two things:
    1. It cleans off my tires
    2. It makes sure LC is engaged properly
    3. It's fun... RIP tranny.

A bag of ice sitting on top of the charger if you are parking the car for more than 30 minutes does wonders for IATs.
    If you are making passes more frequent than that your best bet is to leave the car running.

I watch the tree until the second yellow lights up. I then focus completely on my launch and don't watch the tree at all.

I can consistently get <0.3 RT this way and <0.1 if I am really trying.

I normally make 2 passes then let the car chill. If I run more than 5 or so hot laps the tranny gets too hot and starts getting clunky.

Oh and I always take the long way to the staging lanes to get some air flowing before my pass.

I got yelled at a few times ago for not having a fire jacket when running <11.5. I normally don't wear it unless it is cold or someone yells at me
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | AEM W/M | ...
    1/4 on E35 (3.26PR): 11.436 @ 118.48 | 034 Featured User

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Perfect timing Loe, Im going for the first time this weekend. New PS4S and 100 octane 034, should be fun.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    I have to drop my tire pressure to around 30 to hook up properly with my Conti DWs. This is likely a result of a poorly prepped track and not the stickiest tires.

I normally drive through the waterbox, then essentially launch the car at 5k rpms and let it spin through first.

This accomplishes two things:
    1. It cleans off my tires
    2. It makes sure LC is engaged properly
    3. It's fun... RIP tranny.

A bag of ice sitting on top of the charger if you are parking the car for more than 30 minutes does wonders for IATs.
    If you are making passes more frequent than that your best bet is to leave the car running.

I watch the tree until the second yellow lights up. I then focus completely on my launch and don't watch the tree at all.

I can consistently get <0.3 RT this way and <0.1 if I am really trying.

I normally make 2 passes then let the car chill. If I run more than 5 or so hot laps the tranny gets too hot and starts getting clunky.

Oh and I always take the long way to the staging lanes to get some air flowing before my pass.

I got yelled at a few times ago for not having a fire jacket when running <11.5. I normally don't wear it unless it is cold or someone yells at me
    Speaking of tracks. I may come down to your area in October to give Portland density altitude and some E85 a try... (6 hr drive yay). I imagine you're gonna be pretty active?
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

AZ Member #

What was the fan trick? Something about heater on but off but on, updownupdownleftrightleftrightabab

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 04Moroblue View Post
    Speaking of tracks. I may come down to your area in October to give Portland density altitude and some E85 a try... (6 hr drive yay). I imagine you're gonna be pretty active?
    Assuming nothing blows up

I have a guest bedroom and cans of E85 in my garage... Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by theweebabyseamus View Post
    What was the fan trick? Something about heater on but off but on, updownupdownleftrightleftrightabab

I flip the front defroster on and leave temp at 61. Loe mentioned this last year, haven't done much of my own research.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | AEM W/M | ...
    1/4 on E35 (3.26PR): 11.436 @ 118.48 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I would recommend turning it on "HI" for the temp, that way you can ensure no condensation and max mode for the compressor. It turns on the front fans, which rushes air through the front HX to cool the fluids

AZ Member #

This is with the car off?

Established Member Two Rings extratime's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It better be the first or second week in October because I think both PIR and Woodburn close 2nd or 3rd week in October and don't open again until late April/early May

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by extratime View Post
    It better be the first or second week in October because I think both PIR and Woodburn close 2nd or 3rd week in October and don't open again until late April/early May
    Shooting for the week of the 11th.

Established Member Two Rings extratime's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Shooting for the week of the 11th.
    Just checked PIR's schdule. Looks like friday the 13th is a good day. The 20th as well. Pretty sure Woodburn is finishing up their events during that time, but it is the recommended track. PIR is fun too though.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by extratime View Post
    Just checked PIR's schdule. Looks like friday the 13th is a good day. The 20th as well. Pretty sure Woodburn is finishing up their events during that time, but it is the recommended track. PIR is fun too though.
    Yup I saw one Wednesday and one Friday. Should be able to make it happen me and the to be wife are both off that week. I'll keep on top of the schedule hopefully Woodburn has something that week we can plan for..

EDIT: Duh you right. PIR it is... just will have to figure out 11 or 13

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by theweebabyseamus View Post
    This is with the car off?
    Car should be on for this process.

Established Member Three Rings KnewJack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good stuff, Loe.

I would add; when staging, try to stage as shallow as possible. Just creep forward enough to barley trigger the 2nd staging light as this will give you a little roll out before the timing starts. Also make sure you are in the "groove" of the track. You want to be in the tracks the other cars have made. You'd be surprised at the traction difference between in and out of the groove. John Force style burnouts past the staging lights is generally frowned upon unless you're in a purpose built drag car! Also stay on the gas a bit longer through the traps. A lot of guys actually end up letting off early killing their trap speed.
    2013 B8.5 S4
    APR Stage 2+ ECU/TCU 100oct Tune, JHM 187mm CP, Injen Intake. Stasis Touring Exhaust/ Springs & Rear Sway Bar, PLM HX.
    11.468 @ 122.06mph. 90ft DA.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

oh yes, definitely shallow stage and ensure you cross the finish line before letting off. Both good points!

Even as a more seasoned dragstrip guy, I've been known to let off early without realizing that I did.

Senior Member Four Rings LittleDozer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4, B8 A4 Avant

Great thread Loe. I hope this also makes some people realize how many variables go into running a good 1/4! It's not just about the power each car makes or the tune you run, it's about prep, IATs and a good launch!
    2014 S4 S-Tronic / Sport Diff l EPL DP 57mm+189mm E50 l DSG Tune l Autotech HPFP l FlexFuel LPFP l AWE Intake l AWE ColdFront l MerTop Headers l Stasis NR DPs w/ Borla Catback l H&R OE Sports l 034 Transmission Insert l ECS Rear Diff Inserts l Alu Kreuz l CR-15 Strut l EuroCode F/R Sways l TSW Bathurst 18x8.5 l Hawk Ceramic

Cosmetic: ENLAES CF Lid l LED Fogs + Interior l Xpel Full Front l RS4 Grille Graphite Gray l Carbon Wrapped Valence l Gloss Wrapped Cluster l J-Codes