Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Intake Manifold Vacuum Pod Question - Post gruvenparts install

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had a broken intake manifold arm on my 2002 C5 S6 intake. So I ordered and installed the gruven parts arms.
    I tested and when the engine was started the pods changed position, but when revving the engine in neutral the pods/arms didn't move.

Does the engine have to be under load and in the designated RPM range in order for the pods/arms to open in the correct order to go from stage 1 (idle to 3000RPM) , to 2 (3000-5000) and 3 (5000+)?

Just wondering, as I haven't had the car in a traffic situation to really punch it yet...but before the fix i did notice a dead-spot around 3-4000.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    '73 914 6-cyl conversion in progress

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Acura MDX, 4Runner, FJR1300, Mastercraft, 89 Bronco 408w

My guess would be that the pods are hanging up. Wide open throttle should decrease vacuum, allowing pods to return to engine off position. The pods can be taken off and internal shaft cleaned... Do they return when u manipulated them by hand, engine off?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy
    Items for Sale

I don't think they move unless the engine is actually under load. On every S6 I've owned the pods suck shut when you start the car, but otherwise they never move in a way you can watch. The vacuum to the pods doesn't come from straight manifold vaccum, comes from an electronic solenoid like an N112 valve that changes vacuum based on some signal. Now that I think about it, that's all I really know. But if the manifold arms move freely (but not TOO freely/ limp) then I'd guess your system is probably Ok.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks guys, they do move freely when pushed with my hand (with the appropriate spring tension).
    The car felt a bit more spry tonight when leaving work up a hill merging into traffic...granted the speed limit on the road was only 30 ;)

I'm sure I'm good, but will wait till I can merge on the highway to really check the previously dead-spot in the RPM range.
    Nathan
    '73 914 6-cyl conversion in progress