Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B9 RS4

Established Member Two Rings easy_button's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1992 VW Corrado VR6, 2013 Jeep SRT8

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFour View Post
    Plus the RS4 is an expensive performance vehicle. It's not like they would plan to sell tons of them. I don't know if you could consider it a niche vehicle but it certainly would sell in low numbers, and of course enthusiasts would be all over them.
    Guessing they would sell more RS4s than RWD R8s...

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mattvandyk View Post
    This is partly true, partly not. They think (maybe wrongly, maybe not) that they're making the uniqueness/brand point with the RS line, generally; and the fact that they're supposedly going to have 8 RS models in the US market at the same time w/in 2 years pretty clearly signals that that (and not low-demand cabrios, avants, etc) is the direction they're headed. Fundamentally, it works for BMW, it works for MB, they think it'll work for them. I personally tend to agree with you. Part of what makes Audi Audi is the playful, out-of-the box culture of the company that trickles down through their cars (and body styles) and even their owners. It's what uniquely sets them apart from BMW and MB, and the abandonment of these body styles in favor of the more conventional base/fast/superfast model-line setup is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are/will these 8 RS models be?

RS7, RS3, RS5...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S4 | Glacier White | Premium + | DSG

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiS4SD View Post
    What are/will these 8 RS models be?

RS7, RS3, RS5...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app
    They didn't say. That's just what Winkelmann said (in a couple of separate interviews) when doing the press rounds on TTRS/RS3.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by audis4sd View Post
    what are/will these 8 rs models be?

Rs7, rs3, rs5...

Sent from my sm-g930v using audizine mobile app
    RS3
    TTRS
    RS5
    RS7
    RSQ5
    RSQ8
    R8
    RSQ3

IMO, they should bail on the Qs and bring over a couple wagons, but...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by easy_button View Post
    RS3
    TTRS
    RS5
    RS7
    RSQ5
    RSQ8
    R8
    RSQ3

IMO, they should bail on the Qs and bring over a couple wagons, but...
    I'd guess drop out RSQ8 and add in RS4 sedan, and that's your list.

Senior Member Three Rings acturater's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd guess drop out RSQ8 and add in RS4 sedan, and that's your list.
    They could also be separating RS5 sportback from RS5 coupe, in which case that accounts for 2 of the 8. There's a stronger chance RS5 SB is coming stateside over RS4, at least from all the murmurings so far. I'd personally get the RS4 avant over the RS5 SB in a heartbeat; it's too bad Audi doesn't include me in their business decisions.
    2016 F80 M3
    2014 B8.5 S4 GIAC Stage II (gone but not forgotten)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by acturater View Post
    They could also be separating RS5 sportback from RS5 coupe, in which case that accounts for 2 of the 8. There's a stronger chance RS5 SB is coming stateside over RS4, at least from all the murmurings so far. I'd personally get the RS4 avant over the RS5 SB in a heartbeat; it's too bad Audi doesn't include me in their business decisions.
    I understand all the avant love. I really do. Of any Audi in production in the last decade, and RS6 avant is the one I'd want. But, man, as far as US cars go, RS4 sedan. Gimme.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

RS5 SB is already here

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
    RS5 SB is already here

Where are you seeing this? As of a month ago they were still testing it on S5 SB mules.
    2016 F80 M3

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Where are you seeing this? As of a month ago they were still testing it on S5 SB mules.
    You're right sorry it was the coupe they had at the Audi event in NYC

Established Member Two Rings zoomzoom!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 A6 3.0T (self) 2015 Q5 3.0T (Wife)

...and the fact that they're supposedly going to have 8 RS models in the US market at the same time w/in 2 years pretty clearly signals that that (and not low-demand cabrios, avants, etc) is the direction they're headed.

Do we yet know what those 8 will be?

1. TT RS
    2. RS3
    3. RS5
    4. RS7
    5. ? RS Q5 ?
    6. ? RS 8? ?
    7. ?
    8. ?

AZ Member #

I understand all the avant love. I really do. Of any Audi in production in the last decade, and RS6 avant is the one I'd want. But, man, as far as US cars go, RS4 sedan. Gimme.

Fair enough. Why not the RS5 SB though?
    2016 F80 M3

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom! View Post
    Do we yet know what those 8 will be?

1. TT RS
    2. RS3
    3. RS5
    4. RS7
    5. ? RS Q5 ?
    6. ? RS 8? ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    No RS8, the RSQ8; and the R8 is already here (and always counts as an RS car); plus they already hinted that the RSQ3 was coming - that's the list...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Fair enough. Why not the RS5 SB though?
    RS5 SB would be perfect; if they lengthened the roof a foot, added rails and... oh wait, forget it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi Allroad

It baffles me they won't even set it up as a special order program. I think we can all agree Audi won't make money shipping these over and letting them sit on lots, but if someone will give you cash before you even put it on the boat why not take it? That's what MB and Volvo are doing with their performance wagons.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc View Post
    It baffles me they won't even set it up as a special order program. I think we can all agree Audi won't make money shipping these over and letting them sit on lots, but if someone will give you cash before you even put it on the boat why not take it? That's what MB and Volvo are doing with their performance wagons.
    Its due to the need to certify for crash/impact standards. They won't go through that simply to satisfy their most ardent and repetitive customers. Chump.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc View Post
    Can you blame them for not wanting to spend millions on certifying and federalizing a vehicle on which they would be lucky to break even? MB is only doing it for the E63. If you notice they're not bringing over the C63 wagon which is the direct competitor to the RS4. Very different demographics between the C63 and E63 buyer.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Can you blame them for not wanting to spend millions on certifying and federalizing a vehicle on which they would be lucky to break even?
    We've already gone over this in this very thread. No one is "blaming them".....we understand the business logic. We're criticizing and disagreeing with the decision.

AZ Member #

We've already gone over this in this very thread. No one is "blaming them".....we understand the business logic. We're criticizing and disagreeing with the decision.
    That's pretty much the definition of blaming them. If you want to criticize anyone it should be consumers for not buying more wagons and the government for not taxing vehicles based on size, weight, and engine displacement which would push people away from SUVs. Audi is simply responding to the market. You can't criticize them for that.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Never mind.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Can you blame them for not wanting to spend millions on certifying and federalizing a vehicle on which they would be lucky to break even? MB is only doing it for the E63. If you notice they're not bringing over the C63 wagon which is the direct competitor to the RS4. Very different demographics between the C63 and E63 buyer.
    I hear about certification cost argument t all the time, but then you have the Allroad - those costs (or the majority of it) were already incurred as part of the Allroad certification process in the US. RS cars are not expected to be selling anything near like their regular versions...the US cost impediment logic would work against all RS cars.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

The problem with vehicles like the Allroad and the Volvo Cross Country wagons is the suspension set up. Since it's significantly higher than stock suspension the manufacturers need to redo the crash testing. Emissions, roll over testing, and all that doesn't need to be redone. So in Audi's case they'd have to redo crash testing for the RS4 because the impact points will be several inches off.

If we had the stock A4 wagon then yeah, Audi would be able to use those crash test results. Just like how MB uses the stock E Class wagon crash tests for the E63 wagon because the suspension is only off by about 1/2 an inch.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fdvigna View Post
    I hear about certification cost argument t all the time, but then you have the Allroad - those costs (or the majority of it) were already incurred as part of the Allroad certification process in the US. RS cars are not expected to be selling anything near like their regular versions...the US cost impediment logic would work against all RS cars.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Audizine mobile app
    What I'd like to understand is the decision to not bring the TT RS roadster to the states. Body/height-wise, its essentially the same thing as the vanilla TT, which *IS* available in a ragtop. Its not like the RS5, because there isnt a droptop RS5 in Europe, either.

Madness! :)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The problem with vehicles like the Allroad and the Volvo Cross Country wagons is the suspension set up. Since it's significantly higher than stock suspension the manufacturers need to redo the crash testing. Emissions, roll over testing, and all that doesn't need to be redone. So in Audi's case they'd have to redo crash testing for the RS4 because the impact points will be several inches off.

If we had the stock A4 wagon then yeah, Audi would be able to use those crash test results. Just like how MB uses the stock E Class wagon crash tests for the E63 wagon because the suspension is only off by about 1/2 an inch.
    Interesting. You would think that the US and the EU would have an agreement to accept or standardize these kinds of tests between each other... too bad. Thanks for the insight. I did not know that the suspension height was materially enough to trigger a new certification.

AZ Member #

What I'd like to understand is the decision to not bring the TT RS roadster to the states. Body/height-wise, its essentially the same thing as the vanilla TT, which *IS* available in a ragtop. Its not like the RS5, because there isnt a droptop RS5 in Europe, either.

Madness! :)
    That's a fair question. I'm guessing it's that TT sales are so low, especially convertibles, that it simple isn't worth the investment to build them. There wouldn't be much in terms of certification or federalization since the body style and drive train is already certified. However, there is the upfront production cost of building the car. Audi probably did the math and figured that the cars would sit on the lots too long before they're sold; that's why MB only does the E63 wagon as special order. Audi could probably do the same but with them trying to cut costs due to dieselgate they probably figured this was a place where they could save money by simply not offering it here.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Fdvigna View Post
    Interesting. You would think that the US and the EU would have an agreement to accept or standardize these kinds of tests between each other... too bad. Thanks for the insight. I did not know that the suspension height was materially enough to trigger a new certification.
    I know Canada has laws in place now that if a vehicle meets current US or EU standards for certain tests it doesn't need to be retested again. As far as I know, the US runs all their separate tests on vehicles. I know there are some convertibles that aren't offered here as they meet EU but not US rollover standards.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The 8 RS models is really 8 "R or RS models"....

1. TTRS
    2. RS3
    3. RS5 coupe
    4. RS5 Sportback
    5. RS7
    6. R8
    7. R8 Spyder
    8. ??
    Currently: Audi S6 * Audi S3 * Porsche Cayman GTS

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VVG View Post
    The 8 RS models is really 8 "R or RS models"....

1. TTRS
    2. RS3
    3. RS5 coupe
    4. RS5 Sportback
    5. RS7
    6. R8
    7. R8 Spyder
    8. ??
    Either the RSQ8 or RS8

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

They should have skipped bringing the RS5 sport back and brought the RS4, damn you Audi damn you!