Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Cold air intake

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Cold air intake

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Here's me new project kinda started due to running into a little filter problem

Yes that is a ITG filter and it was found in the air box. So I ran into a project to try and fix. I only had two options put back in the thick ass OEM filter or being creative. I chose the fun one. So in the past been doing a lot of reading how cold air intakes for the B7 platform are not a great idea most forms say the same thing. The stock air box protects against heat more than a flimsy heat shield from the cold air intakes.

So I came up with an idea what if I pull somewhere else??? Well this is what I came up with. In the past I had already removed my side mounted intercoolers and put in one large AWE intercooler. So with all that extra room I had a spot to route a cone filter using the old grill for the intercooler down by the fog light. And if I go to the track I can take the fog light out and have the space completely open. This is how it came out. Any thoughts pros and cons. It's not completely finished was still thinking about making a sort of heat shield. The pieces are from advance auto parts it's the build your own custom intake pipes from Spector. I know sounds kinda lame and was very skeptical my self but at the time all I had was this or a OEM filter. So here you go.....

Here's the voids of space to work with. And below is the out come.

So if you look closely you can see the filter is down next to the frame rail. So now the frame acts as a heat shield from the turbo. It's also high to stay out the water path way. The stock piece from the air box was used to hold the mass air flow sensor. It gets in screwed from the box and get inserted straight into the come filter. And used a silicone connector on the other side, no cutting drilling required and will beable to be put back to stock if need be. Here's the finished look.

So now for the feed back what do you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Caconway2322; 09-10-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings IronAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

the only problem I see is water being pointed down that low.
    2008 B7 A4 2.0 T Brilliant Black|20% Tint|18" RS4 Reps LE|Bone Stock Brand new old Engine.

Established Member Two Rings Dubbed-Out's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S550, MK2 GLI VR6

For what it's worth I must say your setup looks great.

IMO, honestly I don't believe that there's any performance benefit on installing a CIA on turbocharged motor.
    I know some are going to argue that the colder the air entering the turbo would equal colder air entering the motor hence increased performance. That theory may be true for a cold start, but once the turbo and the motor reaches operating temperatures that theory doesn't hold up. I'm no expert by any means, but that's a bag of bulls sh!t.

I say all that to say this to the OP for coming up with a decent cost effective CAI. It's always been mind boggling to see company's offering CAI for $200-500 for a turbocharged vehicle. That in reality doesn't do jack beside only giveing off a nice sound.

-Stephen

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

In a turbo I agree with Dubbed. More airflow and such will help, but don't expect the air to be cooler coming off the turbo.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

My only suggestion with these is making a shroud that will keep more air away from the filter. I recently made a nice piece out of some steam fittings make your own gasket, then costed it in 1500 degree aluminum tape, it's nicely shaped up ove the turbo from firewall to rad support. Just my $0.02.

As for water hitting the filter, there's a good number of those bags which go over the filter. I think AEM is the best on the market. May want to go that route if you live in a region which experiences lots of rain.
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbed-Out View Post
    For what it's worth I must say your setup looks great.

IMO, honestly I don't believe that there's any performance benefit on installing a CIA on turbocharged motor.
    I know some are going to argue that the colder the air entering the turbo would equal colder air entering the motor hence increased performance. That theory may be true for a cold start, but once the turbo and the motor reaches operating temperatures that theory doesn't hold up. I'm no expert by any means, but that's a bag of bulls sh!t.

I say all that to say this to the OP for coming up with a decent cost effective CAI. It's always been mind boggling to see company's offering CAI for $200-500 for a turbocharged vehicle. That in reality doesn't do jack beside only giveing off a nice sound.

-Stephen
    Hey thanks I spent $81.00 on the intake I went into it just to give me a filter that was not stock drop in. And I didn't have a lot of time to ship one in. But just some in do on my car APR stage 2+ with go fast bits diverted valve, intake runner delete, AWE front mount, intergraded engendering HPFP guts. Torque converter, mechatronic overhaul and I had a ITG drop in filter. Ran this set up for awhile was getting a crazy surge at high RPM And APR couldn't tel me what it was neither could my local tuning company. Any ways I kinda gave up couldn't find anything wrong I finally ran across a company that had a down pipe for a tiptronic. So I bought it. Installed it. I fixed the surge I had unknowingly. Not only was it fixed it also gave a large HP gain. Started talking about it and finally hit me I had too much exhaust back pressure and was almost stalling my turbo slightly. So here's where it gets interesting. Since I just put that cold air intake on. I have found on cold mornings beating the shit out of it that same surging comes back. So based off of previous events I say if I were to finally throw a cat back system on my bet is I will open the exhaust up the rest of the way and solve the surging, which I believe once again the turbo back pressure is to high through a slightly restrictive exhaust. So with that being said the could air intake did add the proper gain of hp and with a cat back should reflect the 1/4 mile time. Feed back please!

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

You could always just gut out the stock air box and notch a cutout on the bottom corner and still get cold air from the bottom in and have that cai noise people ling for. For optimum . a $48.00 K&N drop in filter
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Established Member Two Rings Dubbed-Out's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S550, MK2 GLI VR6

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    You could always just gut out the stock air box and notch a cutout on the bottom corner and still get cold air from the bottom in and have that cai noise people ling for. For optimum . a $48.00 K&N drop in filter
    The drop in K&N is what I opt for. I'm also cool off the Swiss cheese air box mod. The stock ram air design imo is superior to any filter on a stick once you factor in heat.
    I'll never go that route unless I go (cough 2.7t ) big turbo... don't tell my wife
    Last edited by Dubbed-Out; 09-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

You can also use uniconnect to adjust your tune. A good number of ppl I know running the apr tunes have seen a timing issue set from the oem ECU file not fully adapting to the apr tunes. Free software online and gives you a hand full of things you can adjust in the file. You'll need vag com cable, and you have to click something off in the vcds software to use it. I'd have to double check if it still works but I was able to make adjustments with it on my uni tune years ago.

Your welcome apr users..... if the software still works with MED9.1 ECUS I'd be impressed.

IAT temps are significantly lower with this now installed. There's a ton of heat there, and with the wrap u have your possibly holding more heat inside then you are shielding it.
    Last edited by canadianA4B7; 09-13-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Im not a APR fan anymore . But 1 thing I have to say. My current APOR KO4 tune has not hiccuped in the 4 years I had it
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Senior Member Two Rings jonjon88ss's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    88 Monte Carlo SS monster 86 honda spree gy6

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's mine. Its been on the car for 7ish years now, zero water issues with the filter cover. Based off the ghost squad garage design, I made it from intercooler piping. Can hear all the turbo noises through it
    Bolt-ons and homemade go fast parts
    www.40sinabag.com
    IG: @Jonny_Greener