Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings seitter19's Avatar
    AZ Member #

PLEASE HELP! Slave/master issues

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So right after I replaced my transmission I had some weird clutch pedal feels. Pedal wouldn't come back up all the way (usually only in first gear). I also had to push down extra hard to start my car. Sometimes I would have to try numerous times to start my car because the clutch wasn't pushed down far enough. Maybe that's a clutch switch issue? So I replace my slave cylinder with oem. This eliminated my pedal return issue (I'm guessing it might have been a bleed problem). Then yesterday I went to start my car (pushing down extra hard because I have to) and POP, my slave cylinder blows up. Clutch pedal is either stuck on the floor or stuck at the top. Loads of brake fluid leaked from the slave cylinder. It was coming from the boot area, looks like the boot might have torn (I couldn't stick my hand down there to check because it was hot). Had to tow it home last night. So my question is, what's the culprit? Slave cylinder was installed wrong, master clutch cylinder, or clutch switch?

Pleeaaassseee and thank you,
    Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Casablanca VAST Stage 3 B5 S4
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t
    01.5 Brilliant EPL Stage 3 B5 S4 Avant

AZ Member #

Any thoughts fellow audiziners?
    B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Was the clutch replaced?

What does the pedal feel like if you just press it in? Firm all the way through the throw?

If you miss the clutch fork with the slave it will just blow out on the first time bleeding it.

Seems strange... almost like a clutch or assembly issue.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Was the clutch replaced?

What does the pedal feel like if you just press it in? Firm all the way through the throw?

If you miss the clutch fork with the slave it will just blow out on the first time bleeding it.

Seems strange... almost like a clutch or assembly issue.
    I did not replace the clutch. The Jhm stage 1 clutch kit was put in about a year ago. Clutch pedal feel is normal. So it looks like the slave cylinder rod over extended when I pushed the pedal down extra hard and the rod blew out the top. Hopefully no fluid got into the bell housing. I don't think the clutch fork was missed because I drove the car about 500 miles after I replaced the slave. My plan is to replace the slave, master, and clutch cancel switch all at the same time and hopefully my issue will be resolved.

B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 stage 3 a6 6MT 2004 cavalier

Wonder if your throwout bearing somehow came apart or lost a piece causing the fork to have to move further causing the rod to be pushed out of the cylinder. I only say this because I ordered a completer fx300 from ECS and they didn't include the throwout bearing. I called and was told a stock one would work so I used one... Well it blew 2 slave cylinders, and cost me a transmission in the end. Come to find out the stack height is different between the stock one and clutchmasters needing a taller bearing to work with the hydraulics. So maybe you have a throwout bearing problem?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Robsa6 View Post
    Wonder if your throwout bearing somehow came apart or lost a piece causing the fork to have to move further causing the rod to be pushed out of the cylinder. I only say this because I ordered a completer fx300 from ECS and they didn't include the throwout bearing. I called and was told a stock one would work so I used one... Well it blew 2 slave cylinders, and cost me a transmission in the end. Come to find out the stack height is different between the stock one and clutchmasters needing a taller bearing to work with the hydraulics. So maybe you have a throwout bearing problem?
    Good insight. That's something to think about. I sure hope that's not the case! In my situation though, the car wont even turnover unless the pedal is pressed firmly to the floor. If it was only the throwout bearing distance and therefore clutch not disengaging, I would think the car would still turnover at the previous pedal distance and then the car would jerk forward since the clutch is still engaged. The clutch pedal engage/disengage distance during driving also seems to be the same. So this is leading me to believe it's something with the clutch switch. But that wouldn't explain why I could blow my slave cylinder by just pushing the pedal down firmly.. Maybe master cylinder depressing more than it should? Has anyone replaced the clutch cancel switch? When you look at an image of it there seems to be a curved slot and a hole; I am guessing this allows the mounting of it to swivel. I have not taken a close look at it in my car. Could this have swiveled from its stock mounting position; causing my pedal depress distance to change?
    B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The clutch pedal should be able to hit the floor without anything stopping it. All the switch does is allow ignition electrically. It does not limit the throw in any way.

It sounds like you have mechanical clutch issues if you cannot fully depress the pedal. The fact that your slave rod blew out would lead me to believe that your hydraulics are working fine. Does your pressure plate have a SAC mechanism?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    The clutch pedal should be able to hit the floor without anything stopping it. All the switch does is allow ignition electrically. It does not limit the throw in any way.

It sounds like you have mechanical clutch issues if you cannot fully depress the pedal. The fact that your slave rod blew out would lead me to believe that your hydraulics are working fine. Does your pressure plate have a SAC mechanism?
    I hope not! This has been a nightmare since my 1-2 collar went on July 7th (this is only one of the problems from it). I have a B7 RS4 pressure plate, JHM lightweight flywheel, and JHM stage 1 clutch. It did fully depress for about two months after my trans replacement but I had an issue with it not coming back up all the way sometimes and not starting even when the pedal was pressed firmly down. So I replaced the slave and two days after that it blew. The replacement did get rid of the pedal return issue but I still had the slam the pedal down to start issue. I just got parts in today. I'm going to put them in and cross my fingers. What do you think the SAC could have to do with it?
    B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t

AZ Member #

Well just to give an update. I replaced the slave cylinder, master cylinder, and clutch switch. Did a full bleed. Now she's running like a charm. Clutch pedal feels right. Goes to the floor. Starts engagement slowly after leaving the floor (it does feel a little sooner than before).

B5 LOVE
    01 Santorin B5 A4 2.8q
    02 Brilliant B6 A4 1.8t