Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

who makes the best dsg tune for non tuned s3?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    dsg tunes are available by many companies now but many say that its only useful with cars that have the engine/ecu tune. is there a version out there that works well with non performance/ecu tune?
    i have had no experience in dsg mapping. this will be my first experience with this.

i prefer reviews from experienced users of that dsg tune.
    main concern is that the dsg tune will fix all the issues that the stock dsg mapping has. plus any other upgrades it may have.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Excelerate Rep's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

A DSG tune is without a doubt a worthy purchase for a stock ECU car. The driveability and overall feel is improved quite a bit, the OE software stinks (in my opinion). APR has done this numerous times however, they are not readily available files As far as I know. Your APR dealer will need to request the DSG tune for the box code for stock ECU calibrations.

My question is, why no ECU tune?

DSG tune only is huge in the TDI world.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Excelerate Rep View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but why is DSG only tune popular with TDIs? Is it for better fuel mileage?
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #

My only experience is with Unitronic and I find it to be great tune.
    2017 Audi S3 Prestige | Unitronic Stage 2 ECU + TCU | Unitronic Downpipe | CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe | 034 Motorsports Dynamic+ Springs

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but why is DSG only tune popular with TDIs? Is it for better fuel mileage?
    No not necessarily, but I get better economy in manual mode in my Jetta TDI because I am controlling the shifts, I don't have a DSG tune yet in my TDi only engine software from Malone. The DSG tune helps keep that natural driving habits of a manual transmission. The gassers benefit equally when compared to the TDI's its just different because of the short rpm band of the diesel.

Its more popular because the gas engines get more power of of just software and that is what most people are after... and they don't know about just DSG software because it isn't as common practice. The DSG tune only is still a nice dramatic difference.

AZ Member #

A DSG tune is without a doubt a worthy purchase for a stock ECU car. The driveability and overall feel is improved quite a bit, the OE software stinks (in my opinion). APR has done this numerous times however, they are not readily available files As far as I know. Your APR dealer will need to request the DSG tune for the box code for stock ECU calibrations.

My question is, why no ECU tune?

just looking for drive-ability and not power enhancements right now.

so what im getting is that your recommending APR but make sure to get a specific tune version for just a stock ecu? so they have a couple of version for the DSG models?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Psyber View Post
    My only experience is with Unitronic and I find it to be great tune.

just to clarify, you have a stock ecu?

how is has it reacted differently from the stock DSG ?

Veteran Member Four Rings seal66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4, 2015 Audi A3

UM has a dsg tune also. I know Iroz uses them. Apr, and giac too

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T
    320awhp/420awtq...E85---UnitedMotorsports Tuned

2003 A4 Avant 3L
    JHM catless Dp's, JHM Intake spacers, JHM SS trio, Thermal R&D CB

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

Quote Originally Posted by 949 View Post
    just looking for drive-ability and not power enhancements right now.

so what im getting is that your recommending APR but make sure to get a specific tune version for just a stock ecu? so they have a couple of version for the DSG models?
    Yes, that is correct. It is not a file that is readily on the server, they will need to alter the file for your box code.

AZ Member #

just to clarify, you have a stock ecu?

how is has it reacted differently from the stock DSG ?
    I don't have a stock ECU but that wont change the shift points. If your goal is to make it not hunt for 6th gear in D so fast it might help you.
    2017 Audi S3 Prestige | Unitronic Stage 2 ECU + TCU | Unitronic Downpipe | CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe | 034 Motorsports Dynamic+ Springs

AZ Member #

im hoping to find a tcu tune that will have the best optimized shift points for a non ecu tune car.

Veteran Member Four Rings Kookie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MQBs
    Items for Sale

im hoping to find a tcu tune that will have the best optimized shift points for a non ecu tune car.
    If you're in Orange County, go see James at Four Season Tuning. They carry UM software, I've found their DSG software to be on of the better. I'm not on stock ECU though.

While I'm not sure, I don't see how stock ECU tune vs stage 1/2 ECU tune would effect the shift points on the DSG tune.. at least not too much.
    Past: B7 S4 Avant | Glacier White 8V S3 Build ig: @harithalbadri

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kookie View Post
    If you're in Orange County, go see James at Four Season Tuning. They carry UM software, I've found their DSG software to be on of the better. I'm not on stock ECU though.

While I'm not sure, I don't see how stock ECU tune vs stage 1/2 ECU tune would effect the shift points on the DSG tune.. at least not too much.
    thanks. i dont know if it matter either but people on the forum keeps saying that its different and it matters. since i have no experience with dsg tunes i can only use their info as references.

do these companies have more detailed info sheets that will state where their maping shift points are at?
    as for what info they currently show, i have read most of the ones available on their sites and i feel they just copied each others info and posted the same fact sheets. everyone of them states nearly the exact same thing to each other. this basic copied info doesnt help consumers decide.
    Last edited by 949; 09-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I am of the opinion that AWE and APR have the best software on the market . I have used software from both companies and have always been impressed .

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

thanks. i dont know if it matter either but people on the forum keeps saying that its different and it matters. since i have no experience with dsg tunes i can only use their info as references.

do these companies have more detailed info sheets that will state where their maping shift points are at?
    as for what info they currently show, i have read most of the ones available on their sites and i feel they just copied each others info and posted the same fact sheets. everyone of them states nearly the exact same thing to each other. this basic copied info doesnt help consumers decide.
    No, you likely will never see that because it isn't 1 dimensional graph map definition. The shift points aren't just set at say, 2500rpm and it shifts. The shift mapping is multi-dimensional and built to be modulated with input from the throttle pedal and many other variables like torque/load etc. You really have to drive a car with stock DSG software and DSG software to see the full effect. It is night and day and I swear by it, as do many others. The DSG tune will help utilize the power delivery of your stock ECU software and make the car feel entirely different without adding any power.

Thanks,

Greg

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 RDX Black on Black AWD

I know it's not stock, but I just added a dsg tune this weekend. There is a huge difference in how smooth the dsg shifts. It also holds the rpms higher when you are driving aggressive. I regret not doing it sooner.

-cW

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2015 S3 Mythos Black on Red Magma Leather - AGM580 - Bilstein B14 - AWE DP - Eurodyne

Gone - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    New Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Magma-2015-S3
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

I pretty figured that I never needed to use manual mode to drive when the DSG was tuned. The Stock scheduling and response is terrible at best. I'd a huge fan of APR's TCU. I feel like it can read my mind.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I pretty figured that I never needed to use manual mode to drive when the DSG was tuned. The Stock scheduling and response is terrible at best. I'd a huge fan of APR's TCU. I feel like it can read my mind.
    Hey, thanks for your input on this thread!

Quick question: I recently installed a Neuspeed power module and CAI on my '15 A3 2.0T and my shifting is horrible, especially in 3rd gear. Do you think I'd benefit more from a TCU tune for a stock ECU? Or a TCU tune for a stage 1 ECU?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

You are very welcome.

Its hard to easily answer your question because the ECU inputs to the transmission are different than what the car is actually doing. My guess would be that using a regular DSG file would be more sufficient than one meant for a stock ecu. I have no real proof to state truth to my statement. This is part of why I don't like the plug and play modules.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by seal66 View Post
    UM has a dsg tune also. I know Iroz uses them. Apr, and giac too

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    i read briefly about the UM dsg mapping. it seems to have some small level of user adjust-ability. any experience with this? what can be adjusted by the end user?

Senior Member Three Rings JimboS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A6 3/0T
    Items for Sale

just get your car tuned already minh lol
    2016 A6 3.0T Glacier White/S-Line/20" Wheels/KW Adjustable Springs/Crystalline All Around

2016 S3 Black Optics/Crystalline Tint/APR Stage 2/Emmanuele Design MQB Lowering Spring Kit/DPE Flowtech FT-5S 20" /Fast Intentions Exhaust/PURE Cf rear diffuser and spoiler lip

ACIE (Audi Club of the Inland Empire) Admin

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JimboS5 View Post
    just get your car tuned already minh lol
    sorry, i forgot who is this again?

there are just too many other things i want to up grade at the moment. suspension is really the next big thing i want to do. i do feel the dsg can really get an upgrade even before suspension. the UM looks interesting if the end user can do minor adjustments/modifications without a shop.

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 RDX Black on Black AWD

If you are worried about warranty, then go with a flash from home solution. Unitronic, eurodyne, and soon Giac will offer that. Buy some geico mechanical breakdown insurance and you are dbl covered.

-cW
    2015 S3 Mythos Black on Red Magma Leather - AGM580 - Bilstein B14 - AWE DP - Eurodyne

Gone - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    New Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Magma-2015-S3
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A