Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

How much power (Watts) do the USB ports provide to attached devices?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    According to pg. 230 of the A4 Manual:

"... when you connect a mobile device to the Audi music interface using the applicable USB adapter, the battery will automatically charge."

How much charge current is provided by the USB ports? Is it only 500mA of current?

For background, see https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-u...101533630.html

Thanks,

Frank

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hello Frank,

Thanks for reaching out and for your question for the charging current on the MMI system. I am going to reach out internally and see if I can gather more information for you in terms of the charge current for your cell phone. Please stay tuned!
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ffennema View Post

"... when you connect a mobile device to the Audi music interface using the applicable USB adapter, the battery will automatically charge."

How much charge current is provided by the USB ports? Is it only 500mA of current?

Thanks,

Frank
    I was able to pull some additional information for you on the USB charging system. The power output drawn from the USB charger depends on the device itself and how much charge it can handle without overheating or damaging the battery. The USB charger also outputs 5 Volts and a current of 1.5 Amps.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Senior Member Four Rings Murph_129's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A4 1.8TQMS

Quote Originally Posted by ffennema View Post

Thanks,

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    I was able to pull some additional information for you on the USB charging system. The power output drawn from the USB charger depends on the device itself and how much charge it can handle without overheating or damaging the battery. The USB charger also outputs 5 Volts and a current of 1.5 Amps.

Just for clarification.. Electrical outputs (Power supply, batteries, USB Ports), do not SUPPLY current.. i.e.. They don't push a constant amount of current all the time... The device connected, as Vencenzo stated, DRAWS current, and the device will draw as much as it need to operate.

Power supplies are rated to supply a MAX current.. So. The USB charger can supply 5 volts (Constantly), and allow the connected device to DRAW up to 1.5amps at a time.. This does not mean that any device connected will always have 1.5 amps going to it :)

Hope this helps!