Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Kittrell's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 A4 USP, '03 A4 Cabby
    Items for Sale

Cam Chain Tensioner

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The tensioner is on the way out on the USP. I'm not keen on springing for the $700 Audi piece. I have roughly 7 aftermarket choices, what's your favorite and/or experiences?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Gates typically makes/sources good stuff. That's the one I'd choose, though I have no experience with thier cam chain tensioners on the B6 specifically.

Veteran Member Three Rings audinutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A8l 2001 A4TQM Avant

Is it worth the extra $$$ to not do the job again? To me it would be..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    98.5 A4 1.8T

Veteran Member Four Rings ApexIt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4

I replaced mine last November with one from EuropaParts and have put over 12k miles on it with no issues. Here's the link. At the time I bought it was listed as being manufactured in the same factory as the original CCT but that claim has since been removed. That may or may not still be the case. Additionally, it has a few 5 star reviews posted so thats reassuring as well.
    AKA: numer24

18'' R8 replicas :: RS4 Rear Sway :: Eibach dampers and springs :: 30% black tint :: S4 Door Blades :: B5S4 Calipers :: Dimpled and Slotted rotors

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4, 2009 CC VR6 Sport, 2013 A5 B8
    Items for Sale

I had two of the EuropaParts CCA's fail. Consequently I went back to my OEM one. Here's an old post from my "Fun With Cam Chain Adjusters" thread that seems to indicate success with the Hudson brand: Clicky clickŪ
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / FT High Flow Exhaust Manifold / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi Boost Gauge
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have a oem one sitting on the shelf I'd let go for cheap.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I went with Hudson after I read a lot of reviews. It's been faultless for close to 100k km.

AZ Member #

Hudson it is, info filed away for when the time comes. 👍

AZ Member #

Can't remember what I bought for the CCT, but I do have to say never go for Uro brand anything

I had one of their timing belt tensioners go after 20K miles. By the time I realized it was shot it had jumped two teeth. Very close to valves kissing pistons thanks to that crap.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Human Garbage View Post
    Can't remember what I bought for the CCT, but I do have to say never go for Uro brand anything
    Reading plenty of posts on this forum and others, the consensus agrees with your experience.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I installed a BAPMIC from Pelican Parts and that was 60,000 miles ago. Still running well. $122.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 A4 USP, '03 A4 Cabby
    Items for Sale

Thank you everyone for the input. It looks like Hudson might be the way to go.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
    Reading plenty of posts on this forum and others, the consensus agrees with your experience.
    Good to know thanks! I wish I had been reading Audizine back then, but I was just a VW driver at that point. I didn't do much research because there is so much bad advice on Vortex (especially the MKIV forum lol). I was counting on the fact that ECS wouldn't cheap out on a key component of their timing belt kit. I know better now. Those dudes would push their Grandma down a flight of stairs to make $5...

Veteran Member Four Rings BARRY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AE86 20v, UZZ30 LS2, 2002 A4 B6 1.8t, E63 AMG
    Items for Sale

i just installed a DORMAN unit. anybody have experience with that brand?
    2007 Mercedes E63 AMG - Nardo Grey, Pano, LTH X-Pipe, Res Del, ROW Box Mod, Programa ELM, UPD Arms
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t Q Avant - Maestro, 225TT Inj, TP, FMIC, Thermal R&D Exh, KW V3, BBK / Ferrodo DS2500
    1992 SC400 - LS2 6.0, LTH, Tomei 2-Way, KW V3, BattleVersion Arms
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S SOLD - 20 Valve, Haltech E8, Toda 272 8.5mm, Toda Cam Gears, Silkroad High Rise Headers, TRD 2-Way, TRD SS Race

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

How do you know its failing? Is it the loud ticking noise the motor makes on start-up at idle? I'll be posting a video tomorrow, something isn't right. Loud ticking and its not the motor.
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    RallyNorthAmerica - Team Stop Texting
    IG: Downhill_A4
    "If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #

Well mine didn't sound bad at all. It kept throwing a code for 'retard setpoint not reached' so I bought a replacement.

On my Jetta it did some chain slap noise on cold start, but would reduce to ticking slightly when warn. I wouldn't say loud per se, but it was making some noise all the time cold or warm. I don't recall if it threw a code or if I just decided to change it before it blew up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 A4 USP, '03 A4 Cabby
    Items for Sale

I just put the Hudson in a few days back, no more chain rattle. Run nice and smooth again, thanks again for the suggestions.

Veteran Member Three Rings Rocs's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 USP
    Items for Sale

I also went with Hudson brand.
    2012 A4 6mt
    -Prestige
    -S Line
    -Black Optic
    -B&O

Senior Member Three Rings jpulll's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Please update the thread after a few 1000 miles with how the Hudson performs.

I went with the Europa CCT and yeah it quieted it down but still wanted to rattle a slight bit, helped for a couple thousand miles. Now it rattles on every startup like old times. Wondering if I should change the chain.

Sent from my iPhone
    2003 A4 1.8T 5-spd w/ Motoza 93/E85.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jpulll View Post
    Please update the thread after a few 1000 miles with how the Hudson performs.

I went with the Europa CCT and yeah it quieted it down but still wanted to rattle a slight bit, helped for a couple thousand miles. Now it rattles on every startup like old times. Wondering if I should change the chain.
    Just for a thought.. Have you checked your oil pressure?
    I had some CCT problems in winter before last one. I got used OEM one (believe it was D-revision) from a salvaged engine as a working part.
    It worked maybe for a day or two. Rattle accured on my car was really extreme though. It rattled during drive also. The sound was a bit like from a machine gun and became faster on acceleration.

The culprit in the end was my oil pump (aftermarket part changed by PO some years earlier), which had some too large gap with it's "wings" there inside. It just couldn't make a proper pressure any more.
    Oil pickup and valve cover were clean because they were cleaned previously with head gasket work. Rattle did not exist at that time so oil pump was not checked at that time.

I had both Oil pump and CCT (-K) and chain installed as OEM parts and it's been working smoothly about 16 months/~8500 miles without any rattles. The old chain was indeed a little loosened but my friend, who also did the installation, blaimed more of the oil pressure than the cain.
    I'm just wondering out loud how much of these CCT problems are due to poor oil pressure rather than blaming aftermarket parts? Wanted to go with OEM parts because of too much bad experience on forums.

It's obvious in my case it was really extreme condition but even with slight pressure drop, rattling chain on startup might be a first indicator of low oil pressure with these cars. I really recommed to check or have it checked!
    I never had any warning light about oil pressure. It was too damn low albeit being warning-free!

P.S. first post, yay

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY View Post
    i just installed a DORMAN unit. anybody have experience with that brand?
    Dorman is the worst aftermarket manufacturer next to Broke When Delivered.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

yeah...I installed it and threw a check engine light instantly. wtf.
    2007 Mercedes E63 AMG - Nardo Grey, Pano, LTH X-Pipe, Res Del, ROW Box Mod, Programa ELM, UPD Arms
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t Q Avant - Maestro, 225TT Inj, TP, FMIC, Thermal R&D Exh, KW V3, BBK / Ferrodo DS2500
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S SOLD - 20 Valve, Haltech E8, Toda 272 8.5mm, Toda Cam Gears, Silkroad High Rise Headers, TRD 2-Way, TRD SS Race

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

replacement Dorman works perfectly...returning the original one. the original one was worse than any Chinese made one i've ordered from eBay. 1 out of 3 Chinese ones from eBay work so far.

Senior Member Two Rings Protection's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Like earlier posters have said, I would never buy another URO part. I got a window regulator that lasted two months. I got a genuine Audi one, and one year later still working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk