Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings KunzeRob's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Arrrrg Someone cut my top

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

I just returned from a business trip and came to my car and discovered that some moron put a nice cut into my top... And my car is not parked on the street but an access controlled 2 story garage of an apartment complex As you can imagine I have a 200 heart rate right now...

Now my question: luckily it seems that no one tried to actually gain access to the car by ripping that slit open. Therefore I'm hoping that this can be fixed? Does anyone of you was in a similar situation and got it fixed? I'm thinking of something similar to jeans-iron-on-patches from the back side?! Of course done by professionals...

Thanks for your thoughts...
    Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

No one has ever had their soft top fixed? Well, at least that is something positive

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by KunzeRob View Post
    No one has ever had their soft top fixed? Well, at least that is something positive

In the 3 Cab's I've had, I've fortunately never had this happen but remain fearful that it may eventually occur. D/t the type of top we have, it is my understanding that it would have to be repaired professionally, no DIY exists that I know of. Possibly/Probably an insurance claim, new tops, IIRC, are around 2K. Insurance may want to try & repair but IDK. Have you contacted them? Any security camera(s) in the garage?

Active Member Two Rings S5RagTop's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm sure their are plenty of shops in CA that work with canvas all day long. Start calling around and I'm sure some one can fix you up.
    Good luck.

AZ Member #

I ended up getting 2 proposals: 1) get a new top for 2500-3000$ or fill the gap with a stiff epoxy (makes absolutely no sense!). So I went to the great guys of Bascom Trim and worked out a compromise: they patched the underside of the cutter top layer and I filled the gap with "Stormsure" to prevent the threads from peeling off. That stuff is supposed to remain flexible and is for all kinds of outdoor applications. Insurance was not an option as my co-pay is way too high (lessons learned and that will be changed). It's not beautiful, but it's tight and if it lasts a few years all is good.

AZ Member #

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by KunzeRob View Post
    Sad that a "cleaner" fix wasn't available, but it is consistent w/what I thought was likely/available. Sounds as if it was an out of pocket repair, just remember that should U choose to sell/trade in the future, the "repair" will likely factor in heavily in what U will be offered.🙁 I fear something similar happening to mine some day, U just never know what people R capable of doing out of spite/jealousy/anger. Hopefully the repair will last for some time to come & U won't need a new top any time soon. My solution would be to do as much top down driving as possible & living in sunny CA, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Good luck & please post periodically to update on the durability of the repair. Remember, nothing beats top down driving!!👍

AZ Member #

Yes, there is nothing really available. And a patch on top looks even worse. Right now I have to use my S4 as a daily driver, which makes it prone to further issues. And I had to do something quick before it got worse.
    I do not plan to sell it ever, but once it becomes again my weekend-only-cruise car, I will take care of it. Indeed I drive 95% top down, so you see it only when I'm parked.
    I'm happy to keep you updated over time and especially on how it lasts during the "rain" season in CA. But I'm still curious if anybody has gotten a better repair option than I did...