Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Mitsu guy buys a S4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,*

20+ year*Mitsubishi*DIY guy, between building motors, trannies, and tuning Ecu's, I've done almost everything on Mitsubishi's.

I just picked up a used 2014 S4 Premium Plus with 35k miles from Carmax for a good price and am completely in love with the car already.

My local*Audi*dealer has inspected it and gave it a clean bill of health with zero leaks or fault codes.

I understand I need to do the DSG fluid/filter change so I will be tackling that myself here shortly.

I have a couple Newb Questions I need confirmed and/or answered if you don't mind.

#1 - I have the startup rattle, it's not bad, about 1.5secs on cold start, dealer decided it doesn't need to be addressed but I'm thinking it will before the original warranty expires. From what I can gather this is caused by the T-chain tensioners.

Is this a dangerous situation?

I'm assuming this is an interference*motor*and any slack, even at startup, could be dangerous to the health of the*motor. I'm planning on demanding they apply the existing TSB on the matter, but I'm also nervous to allow deal techs to dismantle the*motor*as I know what can happen once they open her up*

#2 - I cannot find a PDF*Service manual*for this vehicle, I really need one as it's normally the holy grail of working on any vehicle, where can I get a PDF*servicemanual, preferably AUDI's version and not*Bentley?

#3 - It appears Vag-Com and OBDEleven are the only players in the DIY mod and diagnostics game for*Audi, is that accurate?*

Once again, thanks for allowing me to join and I look forward to helping others with what I learn along the way.

Established Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Vag Com is what you want. Spend the money for it, it is well worth it.

I have the PDF manual I can give you but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Perhaps someone else s feeling generous.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2+ | 3.31 PR | AEM W/M | ...
    1/4 on E35 (3.26PR): 11.436 @ 118.48 | 034 Featured User

AZ Member #

Roger that, I'll buy it tonight :)

Veteran Member Three Rings RWD2quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus IS250, Volvo 850R, Ford tractor

Welcome to the forum ✌️
    2014 S4 Prestige, Audi Exclusive, B&O, 6MT, ADS, ACC, Atlas CF Inlay, Autotech HPFP, 034 (Suspension inserts, Stage 2+, X34 Intake), AWE exhaust, Apikol, ADV wheels, AMS/Alpha Cooler, CR-15 Strut Bar, FD-194mm pulley, Deval, ECS LWFW, Eurocode (headers/sways/end links/Alu Kreuz/Short Throw Shifter), KW V3, Sport Diff, SPEC 3+, SPC, Stoptech BBK, SS lines, SS clutch line, Xpel wrap.
    Gone: 2012 S4 Brilliant Black, Prestige, S-tragic.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I would say obdeleven is also an awesome option. I have both and use obdeleven 99.9% of the time now. It basically has all the features of vagom and is much more convenient as it can stay plugged into your car and you can you use your phone or tablet

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tsitalon1 View Post
    Hey guys,*

20+ year*Mitsubishi*DIY guy, between building motors, trannies, and tuning Ecu's, I've done almost everything on Mitsubishi's.

I just picked up a used 2014 S4 Premium Plus with 35k miles from Carmax for a good price and am completely in love with the car already.

My local*Audi*dealer has inspected it and gave it a clean bill of health with zero leaks or fault codes.

I understand I need to do the DSG fluid/filter change so I will be tackling that myself here shortly.

I have a couple Newb Questions I need confirmed and/or answered if you don't mind.

#1 - I have the startup rattle, it's not bad, about 1.5secs on cold start, dealer decided it doesn't need to be addressed but I'm thinking it will before the original warranty expires. From what I can gather this is caused by the T-chain tensioners.

I'm assuming this is an interference*motor*and any slack, even at startup, could be dangerous to the health of the*motor. I'm planning on demanding they apply the existing TSB on the matter, but I'm also nervous to allow deal techs to dismantle the*motor*as I know what can happen once they open her up*

#2 - I cannot find a PDF*Service manual*for this vehicle, I really need one as it's normally the holy grail of working on any vehicle, where can I get a PDF*servicemanual, preferably AUDI's version and not*Bentley?

#3 - It appears Vag-Com and OBDEleven are the only players in the DIY mod and diagnostics game for*Audi, is that accurate?*

Once again, thanks for allowing me to join and I look forward to helping others with what I learn along the way.
    1. My car just ticked over 150500 today... I have a rattle sometimes when cold... I'd go ahead and say at least for the time being unless proven wrong you won't have any issues. However, of you have a warranty available use it for sure!! Agreed on once they open it up you never know, make sure your dealers service department has a good reputation/techs.

2. Can't help you there I just have paper copy.

3. As stated above VAG COM is priceless on these cars!

Welcome!! They are fun cars
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

Active Member Two Rings 2BLKDSM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What's up my fellow DSM'er
    92' Eagle Talon TSI
    96' Eclipse GSX - Still Have
    89 Galant VR4
    05' Audi S4
    13" Audi S4 Prestige

Established Member Three Rings KnewJack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome from a 15 year DSM DIY Vet! These are great cars. I've had mine for over a year now and no problems except for when I 1st bought it, passenger side cat blew a weld and they replaced it under warranty. It sucks you have the rattle, with a new (to you) car you want everything to be near perfect. Mine is a 2013 with 53K miles and I have no rattle. I drive it too, with probably close to 75 drag passes and spirited everyday driving. I've racked up about 25k miles 1st year of ownership. Personally I would want it addressed and like you said, the worry is the dealer screwing up.

You can DIY, but it is some serious work that would require engine removal since the timing components are on the back of the motor. If it's something you can live with, cool, but I would rather have something done before warranty expires. There's a thread on here regarding this issue, read it if you haven't already. One guy in the thread had the dealer fix it, they had it for weeks and when he got it back it ran like crap. I told him the tech probably screwed the timing and indeed they did. Every dealer is different of course.

Pic of the old beast!

2013 B8.5 S4
    APR Stage 2+ ECU/TCU 100oct Tune, JHM 187mm CP, Injen Intake. Stasis Touring Exhaust/ Springs & Rear Sway Bar, PLM HX.
    11.468 @ 122.06mph. 90ft DA.

Veteran Member Three Rings TexasDfwS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I as well have both, and can say OB11 works with your phone. If your wanting to catch something the OB but if you are working on something well then VAG-COM is the BEST...
    B8.5 2013 S4 Ice Silver, DSG, Uni 2+TCU, Prestige Model, MMI, B&O, Fine Napa, Sports Diff, audi assist, 19" Peelers, Carbon Atlas Inlays.
    Q5 3.0 2017 Ibis W/ BO

Active Member One Ring Estoril4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome OP - im also looking for the service manual if anyone could ablige?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Feeling the love guys :)

Nice to know we have so many old DSM/Evo guys here....makes sense I guess...boosted AWD Luxury sports sedans as we age seems appropriate :)

I still have an excellent condition Evo IX with ~400whp and a 91 GVR4 in decent condition around ~300whp.

So it appears the consensus it to allow Audi to fix the rattle while under warranty....might as well let them get their hands dirty, especially considering I'm so new to the platform.
    So is this motor am interference motor? has anyone lost a motor to this rattle?
    I'll probably wait a few months before I demand they fix it...anyone have any first hand experience with an Audi dealer performing this fix in the state of AL or GA?

It also sounds like OBDEleven and Vag-com are both great options, OBDEleven for quick use, Vag-Com for more complex fix actions/troubleshooting..guess I'll pick up both, maybe OBDEleven first.

And for my first rant on this forum...Why the F&^k did Audi place the timing components on the back side...damn it! I've read that the motor has to be separated from the tranny

Established Member Three Rings KnewJack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^Is your car a manual or DSG?

I found this.

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-t...3-0-tfsi-2009/
    2013 B8.5 S4
    APR Stage 2+ ECU/TCU 100oct Tune, JHM 187mm CP, Injen Intake. Stasis Touring Exhaust/ Springs & Rear Sway Bar, PLM HX.
    11.468 @ 122.06mph. 90ft DA.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KnewJack View Post
    ^^Is your car a manual or DSG?

I found this.

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-t...3-0-tfsi-2009/
    I have the 7 speed DSG

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just wanted to check in and say congrats on the new car from a past DSM'er.
    2014 S4 - Ice Silver Metallic - DSG - Sports Diff - Black Nappa - Xpel Ultimate
    2005 Allroad 2.7T - Daily Commuter - Silver - FBP - 19X9", 255/40/19" ET14.
    Prior:
    2006 A3 2.0T Revo tune
    2002 VW GTI 1.8T Revo tune
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI 2.0T
    1992 Eagle Talon
    1990 Chevy Corsica
    1988 Ford Tempo Coupe, 5-spd

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome from a former Starion (and Conquest) owner!
    2013 S4

Senior Member Four Rings Thurston's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,*

What do you mean dealer decided it doesn't need to be addressed? it's not for them to decide, it's for them to submit to AoA and then they can decide based on AoA's response as to whether they'll pay for it or not and the tsb is VERY clear. Did they do that and what specifically did AoA respond with? jw because i'll be taking my car in next week for the same issue and we know the problem will only get worse but not necessarily dangerous. there has to be a little more to the story there ?
    2015 Volcano Red S4
    | 6MT / yellow fogs / RS4 grille / APR DP / AWE / o34Motorsport / cr-15 / MercRacing QuadPass HeatExchanger / Mertop Headers waiting to be installed / CmD Charge Chamber Intake |

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LMK when you are ready for a tune. Check with Audi of America to see if the car still has Audi Care and the DSG filter and fluid change would be free.

Also what number is your VR4? I have a dash metal that a friend gave me years ago, #903/1000
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I hate that when reading this, I realize that 20 years ago means 1997.

I would say you should definitely get the startup rattle fixed under warranty. You should also have them check the front control arms for play in the bushings.

AZ Member #

Chris, APR headquarters is 45 mins away from my home, not trying to be funny, but what's the advantage to using your tuning service in my case?

Car is under original warranty from Audi, how would that service be free?

I have one of the very few unbadged VR4's in the country.... Wish it was badged, oh well, it is a vr4 and the VIN pulls up as a vr4 as well.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do

^Here is the service documentation. Behind a paywall.

The Audi dealers use ElsaWin. It can be found online.

AZ Member #

Chris, APR headquarters is 45 mins away from my home, not trying to be funny, but what's the advantage to using your tuning service in my case?

Car is under original warranty from Audi, how would that service be free?

I have one of the very few unbadged VR4's in the country.... Wish it was badged, oh well, it is a vr4 and the VIN pulls up as a vr4 as well.
    Well with our tune you are able to flash from home, we are quite a bit less money than them and we are the only tuner that lets you sell your tune within 2 years of purchase. We also have a full E85 tune. Scheduling and paying a shop to flash you back to stock and then back to tuned is not very convenient.

Audi offered Audi Care which is basically all the vehicle maintenance prepaid up to 45k miles and it was at quite a discount versus even just paying for oil changes. With new cars people would finance this amount and basically not even affect their payment and not have to pay for anything for 45k miles.
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    Well with our tune you are able to flash from home, we are quite a bit less money than them and we are the only tuner that lets you sell your tune within 2 years of purchase. We also have a full E85 tune. Scheduling and paying a shop to flash you back to stock and then back to tuned is not very convenient.

Audi offered Audi Care which is basically all the vehicle maintenance prepaid up to 45k miles and it was at quite a discount versus even just paying for oil changes. With new cars people would finance this amount and basically not even affect their payment and not have to pay for anything for 45k miles.
    Do you do custom tunes? Just one map, E85. Also, are the B8 injectors sufficient for a TVS1740, assuming a ceiling of 700 FWHP?

I know GDI injectors are a bit different than PI injectors, with a variable flow rate based on the HPFP.

/hijack

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JS81 View Post
    Do you do custom tunes? Just one map, E85. Also, are the B8 injectors sufficient for a TVS1740, assuming a ceiling of 700 FWHP?

I know GDI injectors are a bit different than PI injectors, with a variable flow rate based on the HPFP.

/hijack
    No sorry not interested in doing a tune for a TVS1740.
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post

Very valid points Chris, I'll compare/contrast the services and be in touch.

I'll check on Audi Care, thanks for the heads up!

Established Member Two Rings EuroWhip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome! I had an evo before my s4, so I know you're gonna love her!
    2014 S4 Premium+ / Phantom Black Pearl w/ Black Optics Package / Fine Nappa Leather / Carbon Atlas Inlays / B&O / MMI + Nav / DSG / Sport Diff / 1st Audi!!

Established Member Four Rings 3rdGearEvo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Owned 4 different Evos from 2004-2015 and now a 2014 S4. I guess you can say it's just evolution...

AZ Member #

Hey guys,

So I've noticed that sometimes the DSG tranny can be confused at very slow speeds... Sometimes starting off in 1st and sometimes in 2nd.

I notice this the most approaching a stop sign, almost stopping and then getting back on the gas.... Car feels like it's in 2nd.

I've bought the ObdElevan unit and want to reset all transmission adaptations.

I'm confused which items inside the ObdElevan app actually do that.. Unfortunately it's not very intuitive.

Do you guys know which options I need to reset DSG adaptations?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,

So I've noticed that sometimes the DSG tranny can be confused at very slow speeds... Sometimes starting off in 1st and sometimes in 2nd.

I notice this the most approaching a stop sign, almost stopping and then getting back on the gas.... Car feels like it's in 2nd.

I'm confused which items inside the ObdElevan app actually do that.. Unfortunately it's not very intuitive.

I don't know with that system. I will say, as most others will that VCDS is an absolute must on this platform. That will allow you to reset your DSG to re learn it. As far as the behavior you kinda adapt your driving style to this car, it could also be the fluid as well. I found TCU tune smoothed my trans out a bunch.
    2010 Audi S4 DSG Meteor Gray; Daily; USP intake/Miltek non-res W/Black Oval tips; Stage 2 EPL/DSG Tune/APR CPS
    Oldies-10 Blue A4 Stock,00 Nogaro Blue 6MT, 04 Moro Blue S4 6MT, 00 A4 Avant w/tip

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 04Moroblue View Post
    I don't know with that system. I will say, as most others will that VCDS is an absolute must on this platform. That will allow you to reset your DSG to re learn it. As far as the behavior you kinda adapt your driving style to this car, it could also be the fluid as well. I found TCU tune smoothed my trans out a bunch.
    Plan on getting it, just haven't yet.

I forgot to mention the above scenario is in dynamic mode with "S" indicated on the great selector indicator.

I believe I found the correct steps to perform with a VagCom:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...rbox_(DSG/0B5)

I'm assuming it's safe to perform the same steps with the ObdElevan app as well.

AZ Member #

Hey guys,

The stock DSG tune likes to do silly things like this.

If you drive in "D" mode it will downshift better at lower gears.
    In "S" it will stay in 2nd until you come to a complete stop.

If this annoys you either hit the shifter and force it to downshift or get a TCU tune
    Geoff

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post

If this annoys you either hit the shifter and force it to downshift or get a TCU tune
    I don't love the second gear starts, but it's made a lot easier with bigger pulleys.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post

Okay so it's not just me, good to know.

Honestly, who drives around in D mode, the car feels so laggy in D mode.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

That sound on cold starts your hearing is the upper chain tensioners. My car has been at the dealership since last Tuesday. Took them a full week to get one of the chains in, and I should have the car back by Saturday. I would take advantage of the warranty and get that embarrassing sound taken care of.

AZ Member #

Okay so it's not just me, good to know.

Honestly, who drives around in D mode, the car feels so laggy in D mode.
    DP and the car is just fine in "D"

I only go in S if I am driving like an asshole.
    Geoff

Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

congratulations!! these cars are great, i had a 2011 s4 about 4 years ago and just picked up a 2010 with 100k miles :)

also a past owner of evo's (i know they aren't dsm's but still similar)
    2010 s4 Prestige
    2012 Nissan GT-R- SOLD
    2014 S6- SOLD
    2016 s3- SOLD
    2015 M3- SOLD
    2011 b8 s4--SOLD
    11.9** @ 116 apr 93 octane tune
    11.7@ 118 104oct apr tune

Active Member One Ring Estoril4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not sure if this helps but the dsg is programmed to hold 2nd until youve pretty much come to a complete stop. Might describe the stop sign issue. AoA told me it was due to the dsgs gear ratios, came about cus i asked about harsh downshifts to 1 in manual mode even at 3-10mphs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Audizine mobile app